our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

10.22.2009

{thursday's low-down, throw-down}

i am SO super excited to share this with you all!!! starting today, we will be doing a weekly (thursday)
feature on one amazing photographer.
there is so much talent out there, so many inspiring photographers, and so many rockin' site/blogs...that we wanted to share some with you!
so, each week i will be interviewing one photographer and you will get to read and learn a little bit more about them...
or maybe, hopefully, learn about a new photographer that will inspire you like they have inspired us.
yay!! fun, huh?!

i'm super excited about our very first photographer to get the low down on!! i'm giddy like a little girl!
this is so fun for me, ha ha!


i would like to introduce you to Elizabeth Leighton. she is quite an amazing person (inside and out) and photographer. her style and photography draws me in...they are romantic, pure, beautiful and full of emotion.
it's my pleasure to introduce you to Elizabeth Leighton....


Name: Elizabeth Leighton
Business name: Elizabeth Leighton Photography
Location: Northern Virginia
Website/blog: elizabethleighton.com and elizabethleighton.com/blog

Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Wedding photography - classically romantic with a modern twist.
Portrait photography - clean and fresh

Can you tell us a little about you?
I have been married to my best friend, Bill for almost nine years and we have 4 gorgeous children (14, 7, 4, and 17 months). We just relocated to Northern Virginia. I love my Heavenly Father. I am a huge Steelers fan. I can make a mean Kung Pao chicken and a great potato salad. I am not afraid to share with others. My heart can be seen on my sleeves ;)


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I’ve been shooting for 5 years and in business for 3.

I’ve always had an appreciation for the arts...dancing and photography in particular. One day, about 6 years ago, I was going through some old photos of my daughter that a friend took with his film camera. I studied them and realized I loved so much more than the subject. I loved the composition, color, contrast, etc. I was mesmerized with the emotions I felt in looking at these photos, especially in comparison to looking at regular “portrait studio” type images. I wanted to learn to how to capture that moment in time, the emotions, to capture and compose like he did. So I called up my friend who surprisingly sent me his film camera to use for a while and I fell in love with the whole process. When friends and family started telling me I needed to do this as a business and to share my passion with others, I decided to listen to them and follow my heart. Here I am today....

What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?:
A fighter pilot
Lawyer
Doctor
Contemporary or Hip Hop dancer



If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:
Buy some more winter clothes! We just moved from Florida and need to get some cold weather gear! ;)

Where do you go to find inspiration?:
I can find inspiration nearly everywhere. Mainly my family, but also magazines, other photographers, nature, stores (like Anthropology), sound, smells, etc...

What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?:
My favorite sessions are engagement sessions. Seeing a couple so in love and so into each other makes my heart happy. They are more relaxed on their wedding day and so eager to get great images that they are up for anything!



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I have a Canon 5D with a variety of lenses. I’m not brand loyal as I do truly believe a great image comes from a great artist.
If I were to have only one lens...boy that’s a tough question. I think it would be the 50mm 1.2. Fast, sharp, great all around lens.

What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
I would have 5 moments...sorry. The birth of each of my 4 children and the day I met my husband. Ask me about my love story sometime! I love to share it ;)
I am a family girl. I would rather be spending a Saturday afternoon with my family than traveling the earth any day. Being with them brings me the greatest joy that life has to give.


What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
Boda Bag!



If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?
How clean it is...I’m sort of obsessive compulsive about cleaning. True story...when I was 9 months pregnant with my 4th child, due any day, you could find me on my hands and knees scrubbing our tile floors. It’s a sickness.

And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? LOVE...cheesy I know but true.
What is your least favorite word? Lies
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? My own emotions (negative or positive) and life experiences really. Photography is an outlet for me emotionally as it is creatively and spiritually. I release a lot of emotions when I shoot life for myself. I haven’t been shooting for “myself” lately but that is all about to change....
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Spiritually and emotionally, I get turned off by the negativity and pessimism of others.
What sound or noise do you love? My children laughing or saying “I love you”. Also, the sound of the leaves as they fall to the ground in autumn.
What sound or noise do you hate? My children crying and the sound of ambulances.
What is your favorite curse word? Oh my dog.
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Dancing. I’ve always loved dancing and sometimes I wonder if I had pursued it more, if I would be America’s Favorite Dancer ;)
What profession would you not like to do? Spider breeder - I have a bad case of arachnophobia.;)
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome home, dear daughter of mine. I love you yesterday, today and forever.


now, leave some blog love for liz and make sure you visit her website and become a follower of her blog....

a big thank you to elizabeth leighton!!!

{and don't forget to sign up for the giveaway. it ends tomorrow!}

23 comments:

  1. Wow Liz, you are such a talanted artist! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just came in contact with Liz, beautiful feature!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is SO stinkin talented and so absolutely sweet :) I heart Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea. i love learning more about all these talented photographers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. liz you are fabulous!! i want to try your kung pao chicken!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea girls! Liz, it was wonderful getting to know you a little! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Liz!!!!!!!!! She's been an inspiration to me on flickr for years :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great feature! I'm looking forward to seeing her site! (Did I miss a link to her site in this post?)

    ReplyDelete
  9. snaphappee - there are links near the top of the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awe Liz, You so deserve this. You are one of my dearest friends. I am proud to say that I knew the answers to most of those questions! :)
    I love you babe, and miss you.
    (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5/26/2014

    would you Completely comprehend wherever I could get more
    information similar to this?

    Here is my web page; buy visitors

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5/29/2014

    cheap louis vuitton outlet
    I always spent my half an hour to read this website's articles or reviews daily along with a cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6/03/2014

    The Mac - Book Pro has a storage capacity of over 750GB in SATA form, and a
    storage capacity of up to 512GB in solid state form,
    when configured in the Apple Store. Tim Cook said that
    Mac is still an important part of Apple. The trackpad
    now has full Multi-Touch capability that includes pinching to zoom in and out; three and four finger swiping;
    creating a right click area for shortcuts; and using any part of the trackpad’s surface as a button.


    my web site; mac book air

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous6/11/2014

    Having said this, this mean in case you desire to be healthy, you desire to deprive
    yourself of the sweet sensation for all your day-to-day lives.
    Then it is moved to huge tanks and heated again to evaporate the water content.

    Many are transitioning to a raw food diet due to its many health benefits.


    my web-site :: Sugar Substitute

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous6/11/2014

    Awesome! Its really awesome piece of writing, I have got
    much clear idea on the topic of from this article.


    Here is my site web hosting sites for ecommerce

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous6/11/2014

    Remarkable! Its genuiely amazing article, I have got much clear idea
    on the topic of from this paragraph.

    My weblog: magic piano hack xsellize

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous6/17/2014

    Go to the menu above and select either the Family, Small Business Manager 7.
    By increasing the demand of new products, and services american marketing association requested such as cut,
    color, blow drying, and waxing treatments. That means that the value delivered will be more or
    less appealing. And did you know that it is also referred
    to as distributors or associates, independent business owners, with unique niches or
    unusual markets, are starting their own home based online travel
    business. To start with you obviously need an iron and and ironing board.


    Here is my homepage ... phoenix web design

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous6/19/2014

    This text is priceless. When can I find out more?



    Look into my blog: best under eye wrinkle cream

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous6/20/2014

    Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for
    my comment form? I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having trouble finding one?
    Thanks a lot!

    My homepage ... hay day Hack

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous6/29/2014

    hi!,I really like your writing very a lot!
    proportion we keep up a correspondence more approximately your post on AOL?
    I require an expert in this area to solve my problem.
    May be that is you! Looking ahead to look you.


    Also visit my blog :: vippi 1000 euroa

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous8/06/2014

    Hey there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren't loading properly.

    I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried
    it in two different browsers and both show the same results.


    Feel free to visit my page; art glass vases wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous9/07/2014

    Now let's get the biggest carrier in Japan, the best is
    that the owner of Paul Downs is writing a cover letter.


    my web-site sales executive ()

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: