our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

11.16.2009

{low down, throw down--double dose!}

because the holidays are starting to get closer and we are starting to think more about them....
i thought we would double dose our low down, throw downs for the next couple weeks. we have so many amazing photogs to share with you,
that we just don't want our readers to have to wait! yay!


so, today......i know we all know her, love her, follow her, aspire to do what she does...but maybe you'll find out a little more about her today. And, if you don't know her, well you are in for a treat!! we are thrilled to have carrie sandoval featured on our blog today! YAY!! is she the best, or what?!
she is the queen of newborn photography...her newborn work is second to none and she has images that a lot of us only dream of having. carrie truly is an amazing inspiration to hundreds and hundreds of photographers out there....myself included.
i can't tell you how happy i am that she took time out of her crazy, busy schedule to do this for us!! thank you so much, carrie!!! you amaze us all!!

i'd like to introduce you to carrie sandoval!!


Name: Carrie Sandoval
Business name: Baby as Art
Location: San Diego, CA
Website/blog: http://babyasart.com/ and http://www.capturedbycarrie.com/



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography: I try to keep it interesting by using unique poses and props, yet still yielding a pure, clean and simple look.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?: I am self taught.

How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started: I have tinkered since I was 16, but didn't become a serious hobbyist until 2003.

What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?: I remember wanting to be a kindergarten teacher when I was little. I have a bachelor of fine arts in graphic design, so at the time, I thought I was doing what I was meant to be doing. It was merely a stepping stone!



If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?: Donate it to the Elizabeth House: http://www.elizabethhouse.net/

Where do you go to find inspiration?: Mostly... out on nature walks. Mother nature is most inspiring on many levels. I must also mention antique shops... sometimes a prop itself will inspire me. I love it when that happens!




Hundreds of photographers look to you to see what new ideas you are coming up with....do you love that? Or not? Originally, I answered "I think it's great... especially when they put their own twist on it. Making something your own definitely gives you a better sense of pride about the image." ...and that is 100% true. I love sharing as well as looking at other photographers work and will continue to as long as I am taking pictures. But to be completely honest, I think it's rude and totally unartistic for someone to happily accept recognition for a style and ideas that are not their own.

Can you give us a hint to your next big idea floating around in your head? Hmm. Newborns underwater? Totally kidding :) BUT... hold on to your seats!! My sister is pregnant again! The hammock, sling and potato sack crazes were "born" with Ian and Libby... we'll see what this new peanut will let us do!



What type of sessions are your favorite (children, newborns, maternity....) and why?:
Hands down: 6 day olds. 5, 7, 8 and 9 day olds are great too... but I can clearly remember most of my favorite sessions being of 6 day olds! Ok, was that a little too precise?

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I use a Nikon D3X, but can't wait to "downgrade" to the D3S. I'm a gadget girl and had to own Nikon's flagship camera. I have learned that it is definitely a studio camera, to be used with low ISO's. The D3 and the new D3S are geared for natural light users. Being a gadget girl, I own way too many lenses that I don't use. I use a 50mm 1.4 90% of the time and a 105mm 2.8 the remainder to the time (for close ups).




What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
Oh goodness... how can you beat the birth of your own children? I have 4 children now (ages 9, 7, 7 and 3) and all were equally amazing... but my first, following 5 years of loss and fertility treatment, was definitely a "wow, somebody pinch me" moment!

What is at the top of your wish list right now?: For sure the Nikon D3S. It should be here in a couple of weeks!



Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):
Do what you love. Love what you do.

If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?:
That my house is SPOTLESS and FULLY STOCKED. Let me explain, because it is certainly a rare occasion that my house is in this order... the 4th Baby as Art Workshop is this weekend. Can't wait!


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? RAD
What is your least favorite word? Uber
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Um, would it be sad if I said Bacardi?
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Frivolous lawsuits / oppositions.
What sound or noise do you love? Children's laughter.
What sound or noise do you hate? Yo Gabba Gabba songs.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? The F Bomb.
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Reproductive Endocrinologist. It really intrigues me, but I doubt it would be creative enough for me to do for an extended amount of time!
What profession would you not like to do? President.
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "I wish I would have known about you when my son was born!"

{ha ha...i LOVE carrie's answer to the pearly gates question...perfect!!}


now, leave some blog love here for carrie and make sure you visit her website and become a follower of her blog....

a big thank you to carrie sandoval!!!

16 comments:

  1. michelle11/16/2009

    LLLLLOOOOOVVVEEE Carrie!! Everything she does is golden! Thanks for sharing this, Carrie! A big congrats to your sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview! Carrie is a HUGE inspiration to me! Thanks for sharing!!! Rock on Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview, ladies. :-) Carrie, you are truly an inspiration. That maternity shot is one of my all-time favorites. (And congrats to your sister!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie, your images are wonderful. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting your sister is pregnate! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with!! Thank you for sharing! I could look at your work all day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great interview! I couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carrie, you are so funny, love the wit! Your work is ever inspiring and I love to see your images. Hope to see you in December when I am out there! Hi to Mike and the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow! another photographer artist to add to my list of 'just loves'...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie,
    I had stumbled across your website once before chasing links in webland and LOVED the image of the baby on the branch. It's really stuck with me.

    Any tips or thoughts on encouraging clients to be brave when thinking about their images....and with their babies. I think if I would suggest that they would look at me like "you want to do what with my newborn" :)

    Your in my favorites now, I won't loose your inspirational site again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Natalie Mitchell11/16/2009

    Oh man, Baby as Art is by FAR my favorite newborn photography!! If I could ever afford a workshop one day, theirs would be it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What makes the D3 and D3s cameras geared for natural light users? What makes them more geared for natural light users than a D700 (which I have).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love ya, friend!! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  14. carrie you are incredible!! love everything you do, you are amazing!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job Carrie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha ha!! "wish i would have known about you when my son was born".
    I'm going to laugh about that all week... Thanks Carrie.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: