our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

1.12.2010

{bonus day--low down, throw down with jose villa}

i know, it's only tuesday, but i warned you that we might have a bonus interview this week!
i feel like i'm presenting at the acadamy awards today because all i want to say is how amazingly honored we are to have this person on our blog today, how his talent runs so deep, how he is an inspiration to all, how each and everyone of his photos is better than the one before...

i remember when i first found jose's photography....i sat and stared at every picture. i looked at his blog and found myself there for hours just staring. his photography is so pure and natural that you can place yourself in his photographs, feel the emotion...truly a moment captured in time. he is an inspiration and idol to so many and we are beyond thrilled that we can feature him today!!!!

please welcome jose villa...


Name: Jose Villa
Business name: Jose Villa Photography
Location: Solvang, CA
Website/blog: http://www.josevilla.com
http://www.josevillaworkshops.com



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Fine art Film photography, organic, soft,
and timeless.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I love edamame and I'm addicted to almond rocka
.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I have been shooting
for 8 years professionally, I went to Brooks Institute of Photography and graduated in 2002 with a BA.

What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?:
A mail man



If you had to pick one reality show to be on what would it be and why?:
The Amazing Race,
I love that they get to travel all over the world while competing.

Where do you go to find inspiration?:
I leave this country and surround my self with rich color
and old historic buildings.



What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?: I love Kids sessions, but of course the weddings are my Fav.

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I love my
Contax 645 and I only use 1 lens with it so it's perfect.



What do you think is the biggest benefit of being a male photographer?
I don't think there is more
of a benefit than a female photographer.



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
The time when my grandma turned 70,
she makes me smile every time I think of her, she turns 72 today :)



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
i wish to have my fine art book on mexico and
holgas done by jan 2011

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): To
not look at trends and to just shoot what is what speaks to me. to not let this digital world take over my love of film.



If you could photograph any photographer who would you want to photograph and why?
henri cartier bresson because his eye for photography is so original and has the best composition of any photographer i have ever seen. photographing him would be a challenge, but maybe I could slip a question in there or two.



If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?
dark
distressed wood floors and a very peaceful home.



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? cyan
What is your least favorite word? gamey
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? light and warm
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? dark and cold
What sound or noise do you love? birds chirping
What sound or noise do you hate? cars honking
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? damn it!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? wedding cinematographer
What profession would you not like to do? lawyer
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? did you bring your holga?

a huge thank you to jose villa!!! we hope you have a wonderful 2010!
don't forget to leave him some blog love!




13 comments:

  1. michelle1/12/2010

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!! Everything about his work is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kari Wilson Photography1/12/2010

    Thank you for sharing, Jose. I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is amazing...thanks for featuring him today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning. What an inspration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE Jose! So excited to have him on the blog today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super excited that you have Jose on your blog today! And I love that you are featuring a male photographer!! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ashley K.1/12/2010

    AH, I about squealed out loud when I saw Jose's name. Jose, you were the reason I started doing weddings! What an inspiration you are to me!!
    Ashley K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. His work is so inspirational, unique, and so totally his own. Refreshing to see such a lovely approach. Thank you for having him on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. jose is just flippin' AWESOME!!! so unique. thanks for being part of our blog and thank you for the beautiful inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is a true master of this craft. So cool that you featured him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. awww, thank you all for having me and for the nice words.. hope to cross paths with some of you on here :) maybe at wppi.

    jose villa

    ReplyDelete
  12. AHHHHH! Love this. Is it too obvious to say... LOVE THE CHICKENS?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my all-time favorite photographers! Thanks for featuring him, and I am so happy to have found this blog! =) You girls are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: