our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

1.28.2010

{low down, throw down with alecia silva, the portrait place}

happy thursday tml readers!!!
we got a good one today! eek!
i love, love, LOVE alecia's work! her newborn and children photography is stunning, beautiful, awe inspiring....love them!! everytime i see her photos, i'm blown away. i am madly in love with her black and whites! i could run away with them :)
and getting to know alecia herself, she is just as sweet as she is talented. i am a huge, huge fan of hers and i know that if you aren't already, you will be after today!!

i'm super happy to introduce alecia silva of the portrait place.....


Name: Alecia Silva
Business name: The Portrait Place – Photography by Alecia Silva
Location: Bonney Lake, WA
Website/blog: www.theportraitplaceweb.com & www.theportraitplaceweb.com/blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

My photography has been, and will continue to be a journey. A work in progress. I feel that I’ve grown immensely in my last few years – and my goal is to always continue to grow at that rate. If I ever get to the place where I truly feel I’ve mastered “everything photography,” – that I can’t possibly outdo myself again - it will be at that point that I put the camera down. And I don’t ever want to get to that place. And yes, I know that’s more than one sentence. :)


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:

I love to laugh…if you can make me laugh, then we can be best friends. That I promise you.





How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:

I’ve had a strong interest in photography pretty much my whole life. I’ve always loved looking at pictures, seeing these moments frozen in time that would make me laugh, reminisce, gasp or that simply made me “feel.” I decided I wanted to learn how to become a better photographer when my son Andrew was about 2 years old. I took a college course, just so I could understand the basics of how to use a camera. When my daughter Alivia was born, I bought my first digital SLR – and officially became an AMWAC (another mom with a camera.) I started taking pictures of anything and everything, and found that I truly loved photographing babies and children. After much encouragement from my family and friends, I decided to take a leap and start my business.




If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?

Did I Shave My Legs For This?…because some days that’s just how I feel.

Starring Jennifer Garner….because she’s awesome!





What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?:

Well, that’s changed a grillion times! Starting from as early as I can remember…When I was 6, I wanted to be a nurse (like my grandmother), then at 13, I changed my mind. I wanted to be a soap opera actress. And hopefully marry John Stamos at the same time. Loved me some Uncle Jesse! In college, I thought I wanted to be a special education teacher. I actually worked in that field for almost 2 years and decided that just wasn’t for me. Then I became a stay-at-home mom when my son was born….which is still my current gig – along with being a part-time photographer.





If you had to pick one reality show to be on what would it be and why?:

The Bachelor. And I know what you’re thinking. “But Alecia, you’re married!” Yes, I am. And happily married at that.

But.

The mindless drama that is that show is unparalleled. And I can’t stop watching it. I love every brain cell destroying moment of it. Even with Jake as the new Bachelor.


Where do you go to find inspiration?:

Flickr!!!





What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?: Without question, newborn sessions. The reason why is because those sessions are the ones that produce the images that make me remember why I loved photography so much in the first place. I think there something so miraculous about a newborn – I never get tired of seeing one, and I’m always in awe of how delicate and tiny they are. For as long as I can remember, I LOVED babies – especially newborns. I was definitely that annoying little girl in church asking to hold your brand new baby 30 seconds following your arrival on your first Sunday after giving birth. It makes sense that combining two of the things I love most makes a fantastic career choice for me. :)





What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:

Canon 5D Mark II – along with an assortment of lenses. For most of my sessions, I use my 50mm 1.2 lens. I LOVE it.


What is your current favorite pair of shoes?

So sad…my current favorite pair of shoes has been my favorite pair of shoes for the last few years. Old Navy flip-flops – in any color, as long as it matches what I’m wearing. And I can’t even wear them this time of year. Booooo on Seattle rain!





What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:

The moment my son Andrew was born. He was my first baby, and I’d never experienced such an intense, instant love for anyone. Ever. I couldn’t believe he was mine, and that I got to take him home! I didn’t sleep for 2 days after he was born. I couldn’t stop staring at him. Kissing him. Hugging him. Holding him…he was so perfect.


What is at the top of your wish list right now?:

A natural light studio in my back yard…..probably not gonna happen anytime soon, though.





Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Don’t overdo it. If you do something that you love too much, you might start to hate it. I learned this lesson the hard way. A few times.


What is the all time best book you've ever read?

That’s a hard one! I love reading, so naturally I’ve read a lot of books. Seriously, I’m agonizing over this question. How can I pick just one???...(sigh)….okay. If I had to pick one…it would probably be Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood. I absolutely adored that book! Now the movie? Not so much. The book however, fabulous!





If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?

Perhaps the look of utter shock on my face? Kidding – you’d probably notice the lack of pictures of my children hanging on the wall. I have a few up – but not nearly as many as I’d like. I keep taking pictures, thinking for sure I’ll print them, but then I do another batch a few weeks later, and I want to print those instead….it’s a vicious ongoing cycle. I have a ton of blank wall space just waiting for me to make up my mind. I have commitment issues.


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word?
Nostalgia
What is your least favorite word?
No
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Being inspired by others. It gets me all jazzed and makes me want to go out and try it myself!
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
A few bad photography sessions can really send me into a nasty little self doubting session.
What sound or noise do you love?
A baby’s belly laugh.
What sound or noise do you hate?
Anything repetitious. Pencil tapping, dripping faucet, snoring….to name a few.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad?
“I’ve got serious white knuckles right now.”
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Pediatric Nursing…although I don’t know that I could handle the heartbreak that inevitably comes with it.
What profession would you not like to do?
Portable Toilet Cleaner. I can barely stand using a porta-potty.
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates
? “Welcome home. Now, get on over here and give me a big hug!”



thank you SO much, alecia!! now, make sure to leave her some blog love!!

55 comments:

  1. Light Creations1/28/2010

    I loved looking at your pictures. Beautiful. From your answers I know I'd have a great time sitting down for coffee with you :-) You'd like my laugh - I'm far from a baby but I laugh right from my belly.

    Sue - Light Creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the interview!! And I LOVE LOVE the photos! Great work Alecia!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/28/2010

    Wow! I have so much in common with this girl(although i'm a Nikon girl) I'd love to meet her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post...love them all, especially the maternity one...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. alecia you ARE amazing!!! thanks so much for being on TML - your images are as delightful as you are!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! Love her work! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great answers - beautiful photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are absolutely 100% positevely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashlynn1/28/2010

    Perfect newborn photography, perfect!! I love that belly shot, too! What a great interview. Makes me want to be lifelong friends with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, wonderful! You amaze me, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great site! Alecia IS amazing...I've been lucky enough to work with her in person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great feature. She is simply awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for recognizing such a rare and beautiful talent! Alecia has been my best friend for the last 16 years, and I have had the pleasure of watching her talent blossom. She is the best person I know and so deserving of all the success she has found while following her bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  16. fun interview and gorgeous work!!! i'm now a fan of alecia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the baby in the basket, what a cute photo!

    I share your love for photographing the little ones, their energy and their innocence. Thanks for sharing these with us.

    Betty A. Muscott, Child Photographer and Publisher

    http://realkidsphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2/22/2010

    She's MY little girl...who thought she didn't have an artistic bone in her body! I knew she had some artistry in her, I just didn't know how it would present itself or when. What a perfect palette! It fits her perfectly and I am sooooo very proud of her accomplishments.

    Her MOM....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5/05/2013

    The other day, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone
    and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot drop, just so she can be
    a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views.
    I know this is completely off topic but I had to share it with
    someone!

    Also visit my webpage - Mario Lemieux Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous5/08/2013

    I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I come across a blog that's equally
    educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you've hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that too few men and women are speaking intelligently about. Now i'm
    very happy that I stumbled across this during my search for something relating to this.


    Here is my web site ... wealthwayonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous5/08/2013

    Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly helpful & it helped me out a lot. I'm hoping to
    offer one thing back and help others such as you aided me.


    Also visit my page ... Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous5/08/2013

    This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your fantastic post.
    Also, I've shared your website in my social networks!

    My website: Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5/09/2013

    I do consider all of the ideas you have introduced for
    your post. They are very convincing and can definitely work.
    Nonetheless, the posts are very quick for beginners.
    May just you please lengthen them a bit from subsequent time?
    Thanks for the post.

    Review my web site ... NFL Cheap Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5/09/2013

    You should be a part of a contest for one of the finest blogs on the web.
    I will recommend this website!

    Here is my web-site - Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous5/10/2013

    This is my first time go to see at here
    and i am truly impressed to read all at single place.


    my page ... Cheap Nfl Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous5/11/2013

    Hi there this is somewhat of off topic but I
    was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to
    manually code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Here is my weblog wsmisports.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous5/11/2013

    This piece of writing gives clear idea in favor of the new people of blogging, that
    really how to do blogging and site-building.

    Here is my webpage :: Michael Kors Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous5/12/2013

    Way cool! Some extremely valid points! I appreciate you
    writing this post and also the rest of the website is really good.


    Have a look at my homepage; Authentic Sidney Crosby Jersey

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous5/12/2013

    Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up plus the rest of the website is
    really good.

    my site ... Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous5/14/2013

    Hmm is anyone else having problems with the pictures on this blog loading?
    I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.

    Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

    my web page; Michael Kors Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous5/17/2013

    I blog often and I genuinely thank you for your information.
    Your article has truly peaked my interest.
    I will bookmark your website and keep checking for new information about
    once a week. I subscribed to your RSS feed too.

    Feel free to surf to my blog Oakley Frogskins

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous5/17/2013

    Hi, I want to subscribe for this webpage to obtain hottest updates, therefore
    where can i do it please help.

    Also visit my website :: Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous5/19/2013

    Excellent blog here! Additionally your website loads up fast!
    What host are you using? Can I am getting your associate
    hyperlink to your host? I want my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

    my site Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous5/20/2013

    I think the admin of this web site is in fact working hard in favor of his web
    page, for the reason that here every material is quality based material.


    Have a look at my website - www.tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous5/21/2013

    Hello there! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post reminds me of my previous room mate!
    He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Many thanks for sharing!


    Check out my web-site - Oakley Holbrook

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous5/22/2013

    Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text in your
    article seem to be running off the screen in Ie. I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with browser compatibility but I figured I'd post to let you know.
    The style and design look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.
    Kudos

    Feel free to visit my blog post; Louis Vuitton Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous5/23/2013

    I do trust all the concepts you've introduced to your post. They are really convincing and can certainly work. Still, the posts are too brief for starters. Could you please lengthen them a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

    my blog - Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous5/23/2013

    First of all I want to say excellent blog! I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your mind before writing.
    I have had a difficult time clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out.
    I truly do take pleasure in writing however it just seems like the
    first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out how to begin.

    Any ideas or tips? Thank you!

    Also visit my blog; Nike Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous5/24/2013

    This design is steller! You definitely know how to
    keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost.
    ..HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say, and more
    than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

    my webpage Abercrombie & Fitch

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous5/25/2013

    Hello There. I found your blog the use of msn. This is a really neatly written article.
    I'll make sure to bookmark it and come back to read extra of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I'll definitely comeback.



    Feel free to surf to my webpage ... Louis Vuitton Outlet Online

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous5/25/2013

    Useful info. Lucky me I found your site by chance, and I'm shocked why this accident didn't took place in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

    Also visit my site: Michael Kors Handbags

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous5/26/2013

    Why people still make use of to read news papers when in
    this technological world all is available on net?

    Feel free to surf to my page; www.tedxyse.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous5/26/2013

    Thanks for sharing such a good idea, paragraph is pleasant, thats why i have read it completely

    my web blog; Wholesale Jerseys Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous5/28/2013

    Hello there! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I'm trying to
    find a template or plugin that might be able to resolve this problem.
    If you have any recommendations, please share.
    Many thanks!

    my web site :: Sac Louis Vuitton

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous5/29/2013

    What a data of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious experience on the topic
    of unpredicted emotions.

    Also visit my page :: Air Max One

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous5/30/2013

    I absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.

    Would you offer guest writers to write content in your case?
    I wouldn't mind composing a post or elaborating on many of the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome web log!

    my web site ... Air Jordan 2013

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous5/30/2013

    It's difficult to find educated people for this subject, but you sound like you know what you're talking about!

    Thanks

    my weblog; Chaussures De Football Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous5/30/2013

    Hello there! This is kind of off topic but I need some
    help from an established blog. Is it very hard to
    set up your own blog? I'm not very techincal but I can figure things out pretty quick. I'm thinking about setting up my own but I'm not sure where to begin. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

    my weblog; Sac a main Guess

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous6/02/2013

    I hardly write comments, but i did some searching and wound up here "low down, throw down with alecia silva, the portrait place".
    And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if
    you don't mind. Is it just me or does it look as if like a few of the comments come across like they are coming from brain dead people? :-P And, if you are writing at additional online sites, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of your community pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    Here is my blog ... Cheap NFL Jerseys

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous6/04/2013

    Excellent way of telling, and good piece of writing to take facts about my presentation subject matter, which i am going to convey in academy.


    Visit my web-site continue reading

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous6/10/2013

    I know this site provides quality depending articles or reviews and extra stuff, is there
    any other site which gives these kinds of stuff in quality?


    Look into my homepage; Abercrombie France

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous6/10/2013

    I believe this is among the so much vital info for me.
    And i am glad studying your article. However want
    to remark on few normal issues, The web site style is great, the articles is truly great : D.

    Good job, cheers

    my webpage ... Soldes Air Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous6/14/2013

    Simply want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness for your publish is just cool and that i could think you
    are knowledgeable in this subject. Well together with your permission allow me to seize your RSS
    feed to keep up to date with drawing close
    post. Thank you a million and please continue the gratifying
    work.

    Feel free to visit my site; Louis Vuitton Purses Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous6/14/2013

    Thanks on your marvelous posting! I genuinely enjoyed reading it, you might be a great author.
    I will make certain to bookmark your blog and will eventually
    come back very soon. I want to encourage that you continue your great writing, have a
    nice afternoon!

    Feel free to surf to my web page; Boutique Guess

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: