our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

1.14.2010

{thursday's low down, throw down with jessica walker}

it's thursday...you know what that means :)
jessica's work always catches my eye. i always find it so clean, crisp and refreshing. her colors and subjects are so real and pure....exactly as she sees the moment through her camera. i am drawn to her beach shots so much. maybe it's because i live in mountains and snow, but i'm pretty sure it's just because they are beautiful!

i'm happy to introduce you to jessica walker...


Name: Jessica Walker
Business name: Jessica Walker Photography
Location: Stone Harbor, New Jersey
Website/blog: www.jessicawalkerphotography.com www.jessicawalkerblog.com



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography: I love to capture real expressions, true emotion and candid moments...my photography has been described as playful, relaxed and simplistic.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?: I love life. I really, really do.

If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice? The big old mess of Christmas tree needles that I still need to vacuum.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started: I have been interested in photography for what seems like forever. I learned the technical "basics" on a Pentax K1000 when I was still in high school. I took film and development classes in Australia in college and then my professional and digital career started about 4 years ago.



If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? That is a hard question! Lets see... maybe "Simplicity" I am a pretty uncomplicated person and the day to day of life is what I truly relish in. I would like to say I would be played by someone exotic like Catherine Zeta Jones but I think it would more likely be someone short, blonde and blue-eyed with an ever present smile...Reese Witherspoon?



What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?: I always thought I would be a veterinarian, then when I went to college I got a degree in Business and Marketing. But I wasn't finished there...I went back again and got certified in early childhood education...now I am a photographer. Who knew?

If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?: Ooh are you giving me $500, because if you are I will take it! No, really I would probably be boring and save it for a rainy day.



Where do you go to find inspiration?: In nature and in the observation of people. I like to watch people interact with each other. My goal with photography is to not only capture the moments I see, but the emotion behind them as well. Things like watching a mother snuggle her 5 day old infant, a Dad play and wrestle with his son, or a grand-parent watching her grand child laugh. These are the things that make pictures come to life and what makes you want to look at them again and again.

What is at the top of your wish list right now?: I think I am pretty well set, I don't have anything that I am really wanting at the moment. Well, unless you consider a massage, a pedicure and a two hour nap something I can wish for:)



What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?: Gosh, I don't know if I have a favorite. I like them all for different reasons. I love the intimacy and the raw emotions of a newborn session, the laughter and silliness of a children's session and the fun interaction of a family session. I have also started to do highschool senior sessions which are amazing too... girly things happen like hair and make-up fussing, outfit changes and an abundance of giggling. With two boys at home senior girl sessions are a very welcome respite.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: I currently shoot with the Canon 5D MkII. The 85 1.2 rarely leaves my camera. I have quite a love affair with that lens! I am also a fan of the 100mm macro for newborns and the 135mm on the beach. I am surely a prime girl at heart.
What is your current favorite pair of shoes? My new blue and gray sneakers!



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?: Holding my first baby when he was just born. He was screaming so loudly and the instant he was placed on my chest he was silent and looked directly into my eyes. It was just magical, I will never ever forget it. That and when I jumped out of an airplane at 10,000ft above New Zealand..that was quite memorable!

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): My grand-father told me that "it is the little moments in between the big ones" that really matter.


What is the all time best book you've ever read?
I really love to read. I am the kind of person that leaves the planet when I am involved in a book. If I am not careful I will skip making dinner and hide in the bathroom just to finish a chapter! Shhh don't tell! My list of favorites could go on and on. I am currently reading the "outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon but next on my list is Pride and Prejudice. I know the story but have always wanted to read it. Reading in the summer is next to impossible with my busy beach session schedule; the winter is my time to catch up on a little "me" time.


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Bread and butter .... OK that's two words but they have to be said together. Doesn' t that just sound yummy? "Bread and butter" mmmmm.
What is your least favorite word? I definitely can't write that one!
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Nature....I love to be outside, to garden, to hike or just walk taking it all in. My initial love with the camera started with nature and macro flower photography. If I ever feel drained I can always go outside to capture the unseen, the little parts of life that go unnoticed yet make our world so beautiful.
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Taking on too much and not practicing the word "no"
What sound or noise do you love? My boys' belly laughter....the best sound in the whole wide world!
What sound or noise do you hate? Nails on a chalkboard...just writing it gives me the shivers.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Cheese and Crackers!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Most definitely a dolphin or whale trainer for Sea World....it has always been a dream of mine to ride on a whale in a show.
What profession would you not like to do? A toll taker....I don't think I could sit in that one little booth for hours on end breathing in exhaust! Blah!
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome. My daughter, my child.


A huge thank you to jessica walker. make sure to leave her some blog love for sharing with us!!!

also, don't forget to sign up for the free giveaway...see it HERE

9 comments:

  1. Love these interviews! Beautiful images.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What precious pics...love the one of the little girl kissing the tummy...so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Mom after my own heart! I would love to be a whale trainer at Sea World. My husband always tells me - "They are called KILLER WHALES! What part of that are you not understanding!" I still want to do it thought =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa1/14/2010

    Beautiful! Jessica, your black and whites are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley P.1/14/2010

    I love these interviews. I have learned about so many wonderful photographers. Ever consider interviewing the maternal lens girls?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Jessica!

    You, and your images, are just lovely!! Ashley, we may just have to think about that! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found this blog and love it!!!!!
    So exciting, bookmarking right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yea jess! you know i love your work... and i still can't get over how well you captured my little girl and my belly (and made me look good w twins!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1/20/2010

    Jess, you're awesome! If you train whales and dolphins, can I come too?
    Love you, Lynn

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: