our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

2.26.2010

{it's a friday bonus! low down, throw down with michele anderson}

well, aren't you lucky blog readers today!! 2 low down, throw downs in a row! fun stuff!

today on the blog we have the fabulous michele anderson of pinkle toes photography. how much do you love that name!? so great! her photos are full of life, emotion, and fun! they beautiful to look at and guaranteed to put a smile on your face! i'm so happy to have her on tml today!!

i'm thrilled to introduce you to michele anderson of pinkle toes photography....


Name: Michele Anderson
Business name: Pinkle Toes Photography
Location: Austin, TX
Website/blog: www.pinkletoes.com



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
In the moment and therefore, constantly changing.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I get nervous before every single session.


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
3.5 years ago I saw an image from Barb (Jinky Art) and I instantly realized that family portraits had changed and could be very different from a McStudio. I was so inspired. I had to take pictures of my kids like that, too. I bought my first DSLR camera off eBay from a soldier in Iraq (Canon Rebel XT) and my life changed forever.




If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? "Living the Secret and Still in Disbelief", played by Mary Louise Parker. People used to tell me I looked like her in Fried Green Tomatoes. Um, thanks???

What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?:
A Broadway Star or an SNL regular. But little did I know that being a mom/photog is WAY cooler!


If you had to pick one reality show to be on what would it be and why?:
Dancing with the Stars. I could so use the exercise.




Where do you go to find inspiration?: My Google Reader has 344 subscriptions and I visit Flickr every day. There is so much talent out there it's sometimes overwhelming. I just love seeing how other people view the world around them. Photography is an incredible means of documentation and communication. But then, I also love, love, love music videos for inspiration. I'm constantly envisioning how I would shoot something I'm watching on TV (I also love ANTM). And my Anthropologie catalogs...drool. They had a spread featuring furniture in a creek one time that inspired this shot. This one also feels Anthropologie to me. They just opened a store here in Austin. I need to take more sessions now. ;-)



What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?: I'm ashamed to admit that newborn sessions aren't my favorite. I'm surprised to realize that family sessions are my favorites. I love photographing families that are dynamic and you can really feel their connections.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: My equipment list is here. One lens? Really? Impossible. I guess if I *had* to it would be the 24-70mm f/2.8.

What is your current favorite pair of shoes?
Um. They're from Target. (pictured
here.)



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?: Hands down, the birth of my daughter. I mean I loved the births of my first two, but Amry's birth day was pure magic. Having my dear friend, Lyndsay, there to capture it is simply priceless to me. I tear up every time I think about the day, which (lucky for me) happens to be every time I walk by this.



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
It's a secret, but it could very well happen within the next few months.


Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): "Do what makes your heart leap." After the birth of my first, I really struggled with the idea of going back to work vs. becoming a SAHM. An online friend told me this, I quit my job, and I haven't looked back since.



What is the all time best book you've ever read?
The Power of One.

If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice? The mud on the floors. With little boys in the country, it's impossible to keep up with it. Sigh.



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Queen.
What is your least favorite word? feet or anything foot-related, which is odd since my biz name is Pinkle Toes. I don't actually like feet over the age of 2.
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Light, color, and texture.
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Anytime someone starts telling me what to do at a session. Even if it's a good idea, for some reason, I can't think creatively anymore once that process is interrupted.
What sound or noise do you love? My kids laughing. Hard.
What sound or noise do you hate? My kids crying. At all.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? "Karnfoundit!"
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Cake decorating.
What profession would you not like to do? Public school teacher. The hubs did this forever and I so admire his ability.
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
For me, heaven is here on earth. I love life. I love living life. I want to keep living it.

16 comments:

  1. Inspired! Inspired! Inspired! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. michele is one of my favs. what a treat!! beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michele's photos are so striking. BEAUTIFUL work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful interview. I've been a long time fan of Pinkle Toes. It's fun to read more about the lady behind the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ADORED her ever since I saw one of her birth photography slide shows. Steals my heart every time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Just LOVE LOVE Michelle and all she does for the photography community! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am such a gigantic, huge fan of hers. seriosly. huge fan. her images are such a breath of fresh air...and her personality seems to follow it. thanks for the interview with pinkletoes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks again for this opportunity, S...I was really honored. And thanks to everyone for such kind comments. Shucks...

    ReplyDelete
  9. michelle is great and quite inspiring! love her work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post, Michelle is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post! I love her work, especially the photo of the family sitting on the floor by the window!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love Michelle's work. So inspiring. If only we had the same light over here in England:-(

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been following Michelle for the past year and she is ah-mazing! LOVE LOVE LOVE her work!!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: