our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

2.04.2010

{low down, throw down with jackie jean}

i love how many wonderful and talented photographers we have found since starting the tml and jackie jean of jean photography is one of them! we have had the link to her actions on the bottom of our blog for quite some time, but now i'd like to show you her beautiful photography!!! it's fun, it's real...it's gorgeous!!

i'm happy to introduce you to jackie jean of jean photography.....


Name: Jackie Jean Acosta
Business name: Jackie Jean Photography
Location: Portland, OR
Website/blog: www.jeanphotography.com, www.jeanphotography.com/theblog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Rolling Stones Meets the Ordinary (kidding!)
I want to bring out the uniqueness and beauty in everyone


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
Not only am I able to do what I love by taking pictures but I play the bass guitar and a little bit of the acoustic along with my amazingly talented husband. In fact, it is his song on my site! He also second shoots for me with weddings
:)



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started: As far as business goes, a little over four years. As far as photography goes, as soon as I took my first course in high school, I was hooked. I shot my first wedding when I was nineteen with film and they actually turned out pretty good.

A few years later I was working in administration at a medical office when they started to downsize and do layoffs. My amazing husband that he is, sold his really nice guitar and amp to buy me a better camera and said it was time to go for It and I have been trucking along since.


If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?
Hmmm, that is tough. I know it would be an independent film with quirky, funny characters, and a smokin’ soundtrack. My character would be played by a witty actress who is undiscovered until starring in my movie, cause you know it’ll be a box office hit….right? And the movie shall be called “Garden State 2”


What did you want to be or think you would be when you grew up?:
Three things . . . a pediatrician (which that never happened!), a photographer, and a singer. The latter two I get to do and I am so blessed to do so.




If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?: I would so go shopping for some new clothes :)


Where do you go to find inspiration? So many places . . . my quiet time, walking along the coast, my husband, my boys, camping, music, other awesome photographers, artists, and the list goes on. . . .

What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?: I would say that senior portraits would be my top fave because so many girls at that age struggle with their looks and I get to have two hours with them to encourage them and bring out their beauty in photograph. Weddings& engagements are a close second. Honestly, I love just about it all because I love meeting people.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:

I am still in the process of growing my list but right now I work with what I got:

Nikon D200, 50mm1.8, 17-55mm2.8, 17-300mm.

I mainly use my 17-55mm, I don’t think I could do without it!


What is your current favorite pair of shoes?
My comfy running shoes….go Nike




What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
There are so many moments such as the first time my husband leaned in to kiss me and got all teeth cause I was so nervous I laughed, and then there is the moment each one of my boys was born. I am very blessed.


What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
A Canon 5d Mark II and wide array of lenses….as far as Nikon and Canon…I swing both way love ‘em both.
J Oh can I a Jeep Wrangler too?

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Oh gosh, well there is a friend of mine whom I love so dearly. She once told me how at one time she lost everything and her and her husband were living in a motel, her husband had hurt his back and couldn’t work and was laid up in bed. She was working two jobs and one particular day came home after getting her wisdom teeth taken out, laid down next to her husband who was on pain meds and thought to herself. “It is going to get better than this”. That right there has helped me a lot because despite the hardships that I have encountered, they have only been for a season. Sometimes it feels like it will never end, but God is always faithful to pull me through those hard times and somehow I come out to other side wondering how I ever made it through.



What is the all time best book you've ever read?
The Ragamuffin Gospel
& One Tough Mother, that one made me laugh so hard I cried :P


If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?
That I am not a neat freak and have much room for an interior designer to come decorate my house!




And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? sweet
What is your least favorite word? no
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Being in a room just worshipping God
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Too much going on around me
What sound or noise do you love? My boys laughing
What sound or noise do you hate? Snoring zzzZZZ
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Son-of-a-bean-dip-mother-frito
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Travelling and singing
What profession would you not like to do? Anything where I would be stuck in a cubicle
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Thank you for using what I gave you, welcome home my precious daughter.


11 comments:

  1. awesome interview and FABULOUS photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. really love this!!! the "garden state 2" comment made me spit on my computer monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. son of a bean dip mother frito!!!! I'm pretty sure that's going to be the best thing I'll read all day.

    thanks for playing! beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Jackie! She is an amazing photog! Way to go friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok I loved reading that. I promise every time I see your pics, even if they are the same ones...I am floored by how excellent you are at what you do.

    love ya sis,
    cosmo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your work! and you rock the 50mm 1.8!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to rock what ya got!!! And the bean dip... I am going to have to remember that one! lol

    These are great I love reading them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome interview!! love the questions and the answers, and ofcourse... those photo's rock! :D she's so good and a huge inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beautiful work! She is fabulous! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for having me on here and thanks so much for the sweet comments everybody!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: