our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

2.25.2010

{low down, throw down with lisa lucky!}

when i think of childhood moments captured perfectly in a photograph...i think of lisa. when i think of beautiful colors, happy and fun....i think of lisa.
her photos literally grab a moment in time and keep it forever.
every one of her images tells a story, makes you smile, makes you remember
when and takes you to a special place in your heart.

she is an incredible photographer...in every sense of the word.

i am beyond thrilled to introduce you to lisa of lisa lucky photography


Name: Lisa Lucky
Business Name: Lisa Lucky Photography
Location: Parkersburg, WV / Marietta, OH
Website/blog: www.lisaluckyphoto.com



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
I would describe my photography as mostly colorful, often whimsical and hopefully magical fine art portraits of babies and children.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
Professionally...that I am a perfectionist. Personally...that I am quite shy and introverted, please don't mistake that for snobbishness.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I have been shooting the digital medium for going on 3 years now, but prior to that I owned a Nikon film camera and had developed my own film in a darkroom (as a hobbyist). I got started professionally when I wanted to learn to take better pictures of my own children. Once people started seeing the pictures I had taken, they wanted those types of pictures as well and it snowballed from there.

If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
Ha, what a fun question! If there was a movie being made about me it would be called "The Lucky One". If I could choose an actress to play me I would choose Kate Winslett. We look nothing alike, but I think she is a very talented actress. Based on looks alone, I would choose Courtney Cox.



If you could own one exotic animal as a pet what would it be why and what would you name it?
I suppose if I had an exotic animal as a pet, I would have a giraffe. I have always thought they were so unusual looking, yet elegant and beautiful. I would call him Necky.

What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?:
My greatest processing tip would be that most times...less is better. If you have a great image, perfect exposure, great light...then a midtone boost in curves and some contrast should be all that you need. Other tips would be to really explore those adjustment layers...color balance, selective color, hue/saturation and learn to understand masking.



If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?:
ideally I would try to find someone down on their luck and give it to them.

Where do you go to find inspiration?:
Inspiration is everywhere. Mostly, I like to go outside. Other places I find inspiration are magazines, catalogs, stores. The things I find most inspirational are faces and people. I love people and their faces!



What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?:
My favorite sessions are those with children. For the most part, kids don't have that filter and awkwardness that many adults have in front of the camera.

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
Let's see...I shoot Nikon and own Nikkor lenses. I own a D3 and a D700. My lenses are 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 16mm fisheye, 35mm f/2, 50mm f/1.4G, 85mm f/.14, 105mm Micro, 135mm f/2. That sounds like a lot of gear, but each one of those lenses serves a very specific purpose to me. If I only had to choose one lens, it would be my 135mm f/2. The bokeh and subject isolation are to die for!



What has been your most memorable assignment and why?
All of my commissions have been memorable to me. Truly. I honestly fall in love with my clients faces and personalities and I'm always honored when someone asks me to photograph their child.

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
My first paid session was a newborn. She, thankfully, was very sleepy and she posed like a doll. Her parents and older sister were great too and hers are still some of my favorite newborn images!



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
Well, now, I can't name just one moment because there are 4 of them...the first time I met my husband and the birth of each of my three children are those 4 moments.

What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
The thing at the very tip top of my wish list right now is that the clouds will stop spitting out snow every single day. I am ready for spring!!



What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
Actually, two popped into my head. One is Andrea Joki...she is talented and kind. (www.ajatonjoki.com) The other is Mindy Harris because she is the most talented photographer I know. (www.pastelphotography.com)

What's the best meal you cook?
I can grill a mean steak. I'm not much of a cook, really. I do make an effort to feed my children home cooked healthy meals, but they definitely aren't exotic or exciting I'm afraid.




Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):
Photography related: It's all about the light. Get the light right!!! Life in general: Treat others the way in which you would like to be treated.

If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
An entire Saturday, I could not imagine!!! I would probably sleep in, then have a delicious lunch and then go about trying to find some interesting people to photograph.

If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?
You would probably notice how my house reaks of vanilla--I had 4 candles lit all day long!

What photography based organizations do you belong to? PPA



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

what is your fave word: I honestly don't think I have one!
what is your least fave word: smear
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? beauty in nature, talented people, people with courage and who prevail despite adversity
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? cockiness, dishonesty, the "why me?" attitude
what sound or noise do i love: the laughter of my children
what sound or noise do i hate: persistent coughing when I'm trying to sleep
what's your fave thing to say when I get mad: oh bullfrogs!!!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?: documentary film making
What profession would you not like to do?: accounting
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?: "welcome home, you did a great job"

a HUGE thank you to lisa!! make sure you leave her lots of blog love!!

19 comments:

  1. beautiful beautiful captures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered when Lisa would be featured! Lisa you know we all love your work,great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the photo of the little girl petting the cat. Although the girl's face is mostly hidden, you perfectly captured the connection between them and the cat's pleasure and contentment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! And this makes me miss Ohio. Lisa, you sound like such a kind caring wonderful person!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous...absolutely gorgeous images! i loved her sweet personality and her profile pic is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speechless at her work! Blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are my favorite posts! After these I always feel like I can do anything, I am so inspired. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. we love Lisa Lucky:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pictures! Thanks for sharing, Lisa. You do amazing work. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really look forward to the Thursday low down, throw downs. They are all so inspiring. I am drawn to many of them, but to Lisa's especially. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her work is so fresh and beautiful. Wonderful photographer to feature!! I so enjoyed looking through her portfolio!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. lisa - loved the interview. thanks for including our little angels. can't wait for our next session!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, love your artistic eye!

    ReplyDelete
  14. positively beautiful imagery!! and i could just jump right into your camera bag and be very happy!! your lens choices are superb as i always love a fellow nikon photog. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa has such an amazing gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an inspiration Lisa! So proud of you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lisa is definitely an inspiration to so many!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: