our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

3.04.2010

{low down, throw down with brianne brose}

i know, i know....i sound like a broken record, but gosh darnit, i LOVE these interviews!!!

i have been a loooooong time fan of brianne's photography. there is just something about the real-lifeness (not a word, but i'm making it one) in her work that draws me in . you can see from every one of her shots that she has amazing connection with her clients and loves what she does.

when i first read brianne's interview, i had to write her right away and tell her we MUST be bffs forever. she agreed. haha!!! get ready to smile, get ready to laugh....brianne will knock your socks off!!!

i'm super happy to introduce you to brianne brose....



Name: Brianne Brose
Business name: Brianne Brose Photography
Location: San Diego, CA
Website: http://www.briannebrosephotography.com/
Blog: http://www.briannebrosephotography.com//blog



Congrats on your new little one. Can you tell us about her?
Thank you! Oh yes, I could talk about her all day long. =) Her name is Marlowe (called Marley by her big sister) and she is just a weeeeeeeee little one, born at just 4lbs 9oz. After a very complicated/stressful pregnancy, she entered our lives on 1/19/10 via scheduled c-section due to a faulty umbilical cord insertion and being diagnosed with IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction). She spent 16 days in the NICU and was diagnosed with congenital hypothyroidism (nuclear testing showed she actually has NO thyroid at all)...so she is on daily thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of her life. She seriously is our little miracle...and more importantly, she completes my beautiful little family of 4. We can already tell she will add plenty of drama to this female dominated household, LOL.



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
One sentence? I told my husband you wanted one sentence and he said "don't they know you talk A LOT and could never just describe anything in one sentence?!". HAHA. Ok, so I obviously failed already but I would describe my photography as a perfect blend of all things awesome. There is nothing more awesome than capturing the freshness of a newborn, the innocence of a child or the love between a family! I love what I do!

What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
Most definitely the births of my 2 girls...each experience was so different but so perfect in their own way. I get all teary just thinking about it...could be because I am still a hormonal mess from giving birth so recently. =)

What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
I would love, love, love a brand new big house that has one extra room to turn into my very own natural light studio for newborns. #2 on my wish list is a fisheye lens!



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I rarely shave my legs. I grew up a competitive swimmer and we weren't allowed to shave until we had a big competition. Somehow I have incorporated this concept into my daily life...such as going to the gynecologist, sexy time with my husband, wearing a dress, etc. LOL. I have no shame.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I have been in business for 3 years, but loved photography my whole life (doesn't every photographer say that?). Total cliche, but of course, the birth of my daughter Olivia created the photographer extraordinaire that I am, haha. I was obsessed with perfecting my skills, both photography and photoshop related. I soon became bored of working with one subject and moved on to friends and family. This led to portfolio building and eventually led to starting my own business.



If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
Wow, this is a tough question for me. I finished the entire interview hours ago and have yet to come up with a good answer for this one! I'll go ahead and say it would be titled "outspoken" because I am known for always speaking my mind. The actress I would choose to play me is Megan Fox because she is also outspoken and totally sexy, like me. Oh wait, I might be wrong about me being sexy, LOL. Alright, that is all I got to offer for this question, let's move along now. =)

If you could own one exotic animal as a pet what would it be why and what would you name it? Is it wrong to say I just wouldn't want one at all? We recently put our family cat to sleep and I had a very hard time with it. We have one cat remaining, who is not the nicest I must say...and when she passes, I think we will remain pet free until we have a bigger house.



What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?:
Oh geez, I suppose that the greatest tip I could give is to perfect your patch tool skills. And if you happen to be working on an image of yourself, or even me perhaps...the liquify tool is your best friend. And if I was asked to choose between curves or levels, I would choose levels without hesitation.

If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?:
I most definitely would head to Anthropologie and buy myself a new wardrobe. However, I could never fit in any of it due to the lovely 60 lbs of post baby fat I am so awesomely hanging on to. A girl can dream!



Where do you go to find inspiration?:
I am inspired daily by my super-duper talented photography friends on all the forums I waste my life away on, LOL. I am also very inspired by fashion in general...many of my ideas and the vibe I portray in my images are inspired by things I see in magazines, catalogs and clothing websites (both child and adult). I love all things vintage and shabby chic.

What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?: Newborns for sure. I just LOVE me some brand spankin' new babies. I love the challenge, the freshness, the innocence and the feeling I get while I sit and proof an entire session full of perfect baby! A close 2nd would be seniors, which I recently fell in love with. I really hope to take on more senior sessions in the years to come.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I shoot with a Canon 5D, old school style. I only own 3 lenses because I am one of those weirdos that can't stand to have lenses in my camera bag that I don't use. The 3 lenses I own are the 35 1.4L, 85 1.2L and finally, my precious baby...the 135 2.0L. If I could, I would always use my 135L b/c her and I have this most awesome connection. I get the BEST bokeh and creamy yumminess from this lens ever. However my 35L is so super sharp that it is my most reliable lens and a fave for all indoor sessions, including my newborns.



What has been your most memorable assignment and why?
Hmmmm, I am not sure we can call it an assignment but just recently I had the impossible job of photographing my own newborn. After 2 failed attempts, I was lucky enough to have my fellow photographer friend, Kristin Rachelle, come over to help me out. She did all the posing and set up the shots and I was able to sit back and enjoy photographing my beautiful baby girl without all the stress of being a new mommy with a baby that wants to eat me every time I touch her. It was such a blessing to have her there with me and giving me opportunity to LOVE photographing my own baby.

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
Oh gosh, I remember that session so clearly. It was a family session, which are my least favorite to this day. I can honestly say that although this session was not perfect, it was proof that I was meant to pursue this dream. I was very nervous and I did shoot a portion of the session on ISO 1600 on accident (it was full sun at the beach, haha). So yeah, a few mistakes...but confirmation nonetheless.



What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
Nicole Fields. Well, because she rocks at everything I suck at. She captures families like none other and you can just feel the love in her work. She is one of my best friends and inspires me daily...I am very lucky to have her in my life, both personally and professionally.

What's the best meal you cook?
I kinda forgot how to cook 3.5 years ago when I had Olivia. I gave my husband the choice of becoming the chef of the house and allowing me to nurse my daughter during that time OR he could hold her while I cook and she screams b/c she wants to eat. He chose to cook and to this day...he remains our in-house chef. I will say that I rock at all things BBQ and I inherited it from my dad. I also rank fairly well at boiling water, throwing pasta in and heating a jar of sauce. =)



Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Ahhhhh, good timing for this question. 2 nights ago my friend and I took Olivia to get frozen yogurt. She was eating her yogurt in the car on the way home and she said "Mommy...yogurt is so fun and yummy, I just love it!" Then she was silent for a bit and suddenly said "Mommy, you should be more yogurty!" And shoot, if that means she will love me even more, I will attempt to be yogurty, LOL. I guess I should start being fun and yummy ASAP.

If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
Well, first I would pray to the lord above and cross all my fingers and toes that Olivia would be tantrum-free the whole day. Then we would head to Disneyland as a family and walk on all the rides without a wait. We would have an awesome dinner somewhere yummy, then head home to snuggle on the couch as a family, with a glass of red wine in my hand. And to complete my perfect day, Olivia would go to bed at her bedtime without a single arguement and Marlowe would let her mommy get a good nights sleep. Alrighty, waking up from my dream now.



If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?
I would have my laptop in my lap, my baby on my boob and my 3 year old would be having an out of control tantrum over something completely pointless. WOW, I sound like a bad mom, LOL. I swear, I do the best I can! Oh and all the pictures/canvas on my wall are SUPER outdated.

What photography based organizations do you belong to?
I am gonna sound completely awful, but none. I have been meaning to join PPA for years and never did. My sorry excuse is that I still work full time at another job and consider photography my "side job" at this point. Now that you asked this question, I may just go join PPA, haha.



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? awesome
What is your least favorite word? fart
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? music, photography, my family, etc.
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? negative people
What sound or noise do you love? Olivia laughing, Marlowe squeaking (lol)
What sound or noise do you hate? Olivia whining/screaming
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? I am pretty sure I can't say that here.
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? labor & delivery nurse or fashion designer
What profession would you not like to do? a desk job...like the one do now :(
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome, my child

a HUGE thank you to brianne brose!!!! make sure to leave her lots of blog love!!

45 comments:

  1. fabulous interview! i really enjoy her work! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a GREAT interview! Love this Brianne :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful images. And I love the Matilda Jane outifit on her daughter in the first images. Will become a new favorite blog to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great... and another introduction to another photographer for me. And so close... I love her perfect day... mine would entail the same thing. (tantrums about something pointless... LOL my daily life with my son)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great spotlight on Brianne! Love her work, love her...and love her outspoken-ness (not sure that is even a word).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous!! Brianne is just as awesome as she seems to be!! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found her website the other day. She does a beautiful job! Inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the interview. I'm inspired by her use of light and gorgeous skin tones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interview Brianne! Loved all your answers, definitely shows your personality!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful interview, I've been inspired by Brianne's work for a while, so nice to see her recognized!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a GREAT interview!! She is an awesome photographer!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview, Brianne! I love how you own your own style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome interview, Brianne!!! I am proud to call Brianne my friend...she is such a super sweet person & one of my favorite photographers! Love her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview Brianne! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great interview, Brianne! I am continually in love with your work...and you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome interview B. Proud to call her my friend as well. Sweet and sassy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brianne your a fabulous photographer and mom. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! She's on my list of inspiring photographers--thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kelly S3/04/2010

    Great interview!! Love Brianne's work!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Esther J3/04/2010

    Great interview! I love Brianne's work! I love how her answers show her personality and her photos are just to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cecily S3/04/2010

    I am fortunate to be a friend and client of Brianne’s and I love looking at her gorgeous work adorning my walls (BIG, of course!).

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW...thank you so much everyone! All of your comments made my day! Thanks for having me on your blog, you guys are awesome! And yes Shannon, we are now BFF =)

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for making me laugh brianne! you're wonderful - i love that you forgot your iso was set at 1600 and you were shooting in the bright cali sunshine! haven't we ALL done that one?!!! your photography is brilliant and you are a fabulous yogurty gal!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay FRIEND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy and excited for you!! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A woman after my own heart! This interview was wonderful and I love people who are so down to earth like this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This interview could not have come at a better time. I was having a rough day and SO needed a laugh and totally lifted my spirits! Thanks so much brianne, I feel so much better! : )

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved this yogurty interview :) You crack me up! And thank you for mentioning me, it means alot! XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great interview - awesome laughs and great images!

    ReplyDelete
  29. fantastic interview and BEAUTIFUL shots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very adorable... Brianne, her fam, everything.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Amazing interview, beautiful shots!
    I know i have said it before, but your work is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rachael3/04/2010

    Love your work Brianne :) I just love the connection you capture.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Brianne is so fabulous!! :) This interview made me love her even more.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great interview, Brianne! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow, I feel like I've known her forever now and we just met. Great interview! And love her honesty (about mommy hood esp.) her work is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Always a fan! congrats Brianne:)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous3/05/2010

    Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing a little about yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Don't you love how you can learn from your kids, as well as teach them? Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh, I absolutely love Brianne! I can totally relate from the reason for not joining PPA, to the least favorite sound, to just everything!! Great interview and beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks again you guys, seriously! xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome interview, Brianne is such an inspiration. Her work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. fabulous interview Brianne!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Always nice to "meet" new photographers! great work and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  44. love the yogurt quote! great interview!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: