our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

3.18.2010

{low down, throw down with raye law}

happy thursday!!!
you all know how much i love doing these interviews. i love to learn more about them as a person. and i get super giddy when it's someone who i have admired forevah!! raye has been an inspiration of mine from the day i first saw her work. incredible!! i know you all know her and love her...and i'm so happy to give you more of her!!! her work truly tugs at the heart strings. the moments she catches, the way she processes her photos, her use of light......incredible!!! she is amazing at what she does and we are soooo lucky to have her on our blog today!!

so a huge welcome to raye law!.......


Name: Raye Law
Business name: Raye Law Photography
Location: outside of Fort Smith, Arkansas
Website/blog: www.rayelawphotography.com & www.rayelawphotography.com/blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Warm, natural, and simplistic child photography

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I get obsessed easily - my latest kick is Gene Wilder movies.


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I have had a studio in my home for about 6 years. After high-school, I decided to go with my left-brained side and obtained a degree in computer science to work as a computer programmer. After about 7 years, my right-brain was getting bored, so I attempted to marry the two and learn everything I could about photography. I'm quite an analytical person, so pushing the creative side and not lining everything up straight as an arrow is a constant battle. I get that from my dad who was a construction builder back in the day. On the other hand, my mother is gifted in the literary arts and music. I still get to sit behind a computer for hours upon hours, but instead of monotonous algorithms, I see gorgeous little people on my screen.



If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
It would be "Just One More". Seems like a say that alot during a session...or I guess I am needy because one is never enough for me in any sense. Hmm...I was going to say Drew Barrymore as well but Des already picked her so I am going retro with Madeline Kahn (if she were still living and hence the Gene Wilder kick referenced above).



If you could own one exotic animal as a pet what would it be why and what would you name it? Living in Arkansas, I was quite the "Daisy Mae" growing up - I still love to rescue strays. But exotic? I would love a meer cat - they crack me up and I would let my 5 year old pick a name. (He just told me "Jay-zee")

What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?:
Less is more - I see so many sooc's that I like better.



If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?:
Go to TJMAXX - that reminds me, I do have a $200 gift card there (out the door).

Where do you go to find inspiration?:
Besides the many amazing photographer friends' blogs I have in google reader, I am in love with Elizabeth Messina's work.




What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?: I love newborn and family sessions with babies equally. Newborns are so magical - I somewhat get my baby fix. And family sessions with babies are obviously alot of fun as we have a "playdate" outdoors.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I shot Canon for years, then when the newer 5d came out, I decided I wanted to go with Nikon. I shot both for a year simultaneously, but soon made the switch to Nikon D3, Nikon D700, 50mm lens, 60mm macro lens, and my favorite...the 135mm lens.



What is your current favorite pair of shoes?
Winter = boots from Target (that I actually think are supposed to be house shoes LOL) Summer = flip-flops

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
Honestly, I cannot remember. I know I felt like I faked it.



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
Hearing my boys tell each other "I love you" when they didn't know I was around. Oh, and my hubby getting so excited watching a football game that he jumped through a doorway, hitting his head and about knocked himself out (you had to be there).



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
I have a macbook pro, but I want to go Mac all the way and get the tower (and a new monitor while I'm at it.)



What's the best meal you cook?
Cook? Hahaha...okay, if we are not at the local mexican restaurant, or my gorgeous husband is not cooking, or the freezer is empty, then I can make chicken spaghetti.



Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): So many...but lately it has been to "be present" (shout out to Ashley S)

If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
I'm lucky to have many of those - and we usually all stay at home.



If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?
The kids' toys, clothes, and shoes, e v e r y w h e r e.




And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? love
What is your least favorite word? cancer
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? I wish I knew - it just happens...so I sit and wait.
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? That I do know - fear and rain
What sound or noise do you love? kids funny little lisps they have as toddlers
What sound or noise do you hate? anything scratching cardboard
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? I swear (both swear words and the phrase "I swear")
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? honestly, none but maybe be a child advocate
What profession would you not like to do? any that involve a person's orifice
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? it does...and "here they all are"

a BIG thank you to raye law!!! make sure and leave her loves of blog love!!

29 comments:

  1. Gorgeous work, love all that yummy light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Raye!! She was the first photographer to ever make me gasp~ her work is so easy to get lost in. Such an amazing photographer and friend... Jay-Z is an awesome name for a meer cat! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyzak3/18/2010

    These are some of the most amazing pictures I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous work! Sitting her inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Raye's work...and loved reading this sweet interview!!! Thanks!!!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous work! Not many photographers (that I know of anyway!) can excel at capturing real natural expressions ADN manage to have such beautiful lighting while doing it! You have a special gift! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such an artist and wonderful person. All her images give me goosebumps and inspire me to become a better photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raye is absolutely one of the most inspirational photographers I know, personally and professionally! Amazing images and a truly fantastic feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great interview and WOW images! just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this interview... Raye is such an awesome person AND photographer. I adore her beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow how exciting, congrats! your work is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love her style! And she is totally right about "less is more". Her photos are so real, unlike many photographers who photoshop their way through success.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kristina3/18/2010

    Oh Raye, how I adore you! What a wonderful interview. Talented photographer and Amazing Woman! I feel honored to call her my friend! Love you Raye :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. raye has been one of my favorites since i found her work on flickr a couple of years ago. great learning more about you, raye. oh and a what a wonderful choice in the late great madeline kahn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous images, and I love the emotion in all of them :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Raye for all your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. One of my favourite photographers and friends! Her work is absolutely captivating and her personality is as beautiful as her photos. What a wonderful article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are one of the best, Raye. A beautiful person inside and out. I feel so blessed to be your friend. xoxo This article was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Raye!! You know I <3 your work!!! Love the interview, I feel like I got to know a little more about you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing a little bit about yourself Raye! I love your work and it was fun to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Raye's work is an inspiration. I really enjoyed reading that.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Off to check out your blog Raye and book mark it. Such "real" photos!! The maternal lens I love it. I got into photography because we had too many children (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adore this article my love - speaks volumes about who you are, and your gorgeous work that follows. Beautiful, beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Raye's work is pure magic...I could stare at it for hours. I want to be her when I grow up :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Tammie3/19/2010

    Raye is our fave!! Love reading more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Raye is such a beautiful inspiration. The connection and tenderness she is able to portray through her work with families is simply a gift. Wonderful interview!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I loved reading about her left brain - right brain battle. I have a degree in Forensic Chemistry and spent 5 years in a Crime Lab. Two years ago I left to follow the other half of my brain as a photographer. She's right -- sometimes it's hard to simply be creative and not over analyze everything :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Briana4/30/2010

    A little late finding the article, but so glad I did! Raye has been given a talent and gift - love her work! She also has a huge heart, which I believe is one of the reasons she connects so well with her clients to capture such inspiring images.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: