our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

4.01.2010

{low down, throw down with andee tate-crave photography}

i stumbled upon andee quite sometime ago out there in blog land. i admit it...i am a blog addict!! if they have programs for it, i really should seek rehab. haha. but i don't want to!!
anyway, once i hit her site, my eyeballs were doing the happy dance! not only does she take amazing photos, but she is a master at what she does after the photo session is over. i'm not a big editor, so when i see styles that are so different, i'm intrigued by them. you will have to check out some of her before and afters on her blog....amazing, i tell you!!!

i'm super excited to introduce you to...andee tate!


Name: Andee Tate
Business name: Crave Photography
Location: Springville Utah
Website/blog: www.cravemyphotography.blogspot.com



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
I think my overall style and look is very eclectic!

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I love the mountains! Camping, hiking, rock climbing, mountain biking, etc...

If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?: No make-up, PJ bottoms still on, ponytail. I'm not a fancy person one little bit!



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started?: What sparked my interest was seeing a stack of family pictures on my neighbors counter. It was a photo session taken outdoors with all of these amazing candid and magical moments. It was so different from anything I had ever seen before. So from there I would drag my kids or relatives out on little photo shoots with my handy dandy point and shoot camera! Not realizing that photography was a real thing to learn and that there was this whole huge photography world that existed out there. Just over a year ago I got my first DSLR camera and started learning about photography. Thanks to the internet and a webcam, my dad was able to help mentor and teach me about the photography end of things. I was on my own as far as post processing. So I took a few community classes on photoshop, watched a ton of tutorials, and kinda self taught myself by a lot of trial and error and practice.



If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?: "Silence of the Clan". I am a hopeless night owl. Once my house is silent and everyone is asleep, that's when I feel like I can get something done. I Have an awesome husband who holds down the fort in the mornings if I need to sleep in! Keira Knightly could play me (she has a feisty attitude and great cheek bones...oh ya and I loved her in Pride and Prejudice)!

What photography based organizations do you belong to? None yet



If you could own one exotic animal as a pet what would it be why and what would you name it?: My son has been wanting a snake for sooooooo long. I hate snakes. But a recent trip to the pet store answered a lot of my questions and put a lot of my fears to rest. So although he doesn't know it yet, he is getting a snake for his 10th birthday in March. A Ball Python! I will let him worry about the name! Maybe my sleep deprivation is influencing my decisions???

What is your greatest post processing tip that you are willing to share?: I think pictures strait out of the camera have a kind of haze or murkiness to them. Find and use a good action or simply use a little contrast inside PS to cut through the haze and de-fog your picture to begin with. I do this on every shot. It's a great place to start.



If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?: Prime 85mm 1.8 (I would love the 1.4 but I would settle for the 1.8)

Where do you go to find inspiration?: I get a lot of inspiration from the many amazing photographers out there. Also just daydreams, sometimes I will just think stuff up or imagine something or a concept I want to try.



What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?: Engagements and high school seniors. I personally love working with clients in a more one on one fashion. I just have fun and I'm more relaxed, more creative. I find a lot of fulfillment in the images where I can take my time, and try anything or any technique under the sun without being in a rush. It's a lot harder to do that when chasing after a toddler!

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: Nikon D300, 50 1.4, 24-70 2.8, 18-200, SB 900 speedlight, hoodman loupe. I use my 24-70 a lot out of the ease and convenience of the zoom. But I LOVE my 50 1.4 the best. It takes sharp pictures, it's excellent in low light, it gives great bokeh, it just purrs like a kitten...ahhhhh!



What has been your most memorable assignment and why?: Taking pictures of my grandpa who is 90 and my parents! There is so much life and history there, so much experience and love. These are the people closest to my heart, the one's I cherish.

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?: I laugh because remember the point and shoot camera....? Yes people, it's true, I was charging $40 to do shoots with that camera (hahahahahahah). I was clueless! However, I have learned my lesson and have come a long way in a short time.



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?: My wedding day...seriously was such a pleasant, happy, beautiful day!

What is at the top of your wish list right now?: Nikon D700. The D300 is amazing, but sometimes I get in a pinch with the ISO.



What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?: Simplicity. She was one of the first blogs I stumbled upon and I was truly amazed by her work. I still am.
What's the best meal you cook?: hahahahah!!! I'm not a very good cook. I guess I can make a pretty mean 7-layer dip!



If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?: Get caught up on sleep!

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Photography: I was told to take my camera off the "C" (continuous mode) and try the "S" (single shot) mode. The continuous mode is always "searching" for focus. So if either you or your subject move even just a little, it can throw things off. I was having a lot of soft pictures and thought it was either my new lens or the camera. But come to find out it was the mode I was shooting in. Pictures have been coming out great ever since I made the switch to the "S" mode. Life: I was told "don't step over dollars for dimes". Meaning my family is the most important and valuable thing to me.




And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Please.
What is your least favorite word? Shut-up (even though I say it all the time, it's so rude)
What turns you on creatively, spiritually, or emotionally? Photoshop, music, nature, simple acts of kindness. I also love great little spiritual quotes like "this too shall pass" or "let go and let God"
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? Self doubt, the "what if's"
What sound or noise do you love? Greg Laswell's voice. Listen to "and then you" Ahhhhhhhhh!
What sound or noise do you hate? Kids bickering back and forth
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Hmmmmmmm...I've been known to drop a few choice swear words!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Videography!!!
What profession would you not like to do? Anything in small dark spaces...like a cave or mine shaft
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "If" There's no if. I would love a simple I love you and a hug.


a HUGE thank you to andee!! make sure to leave her lots of blog lovin'!

28 comments:

  1. beautiful work andee! i adore your attitude. fantastic!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. new blog to follow me thinks! wow! great work and in such a short time?!? incredible!!! what inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle4/01/2010

    I love andee tate! She's such a great person and her work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful work! Thanks for introducing yourself! I'll be checking out your blog for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work. I am in love with her...I mean her photography! :-) I want her lenses. Oh I have so, so so much to learn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work! Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In all of the "low downs" I've read, Andee is the first one to answer the last question with there's no 'ifs' about it. I love that! Now to head over to the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, Love, Love all of Andee's photos! They are just gorgeous!! Now those are the kind of photos I wish I could take.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super fun! Andee's great! And, love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this interview!

    Andee, THANK YOU for the advice. You've inspired me with the SOOC comment. I've always felt that way about my pictures, but thought it was my picture taking ability! Now I know I've got to master Photoshop for the post-processing.

    I can't wait to test your other advice about shooting "C" as I always shoot in that mode. I'm re-juvenated! I'm sure that doesn't hold when you're shooting sports, right?

    I also love the fact that you're connected with God. I see that as a woman with soul, and I wholeheartedly admire and respect that!

    THANK you maternal lens for finding her and sharing! She's truly AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, love your work, and love the idea of sharing the before and afters! I think it is nice to show other photographer, or clients what goes into post processing...that it is an art (since I myself love, love the post processing that comes after taking the shot in my own photography). Thank you for sharing your tip regarding keeping your camera on continuous mode. My camera is on continuous mode!!! I always figured you may not want to miss that shot, but in all reality, I do not even shoot continuously anyhow...one shot at a time. Shall be changing that :o) Totally adding you to my folder of 'favorite' photograhers....your work is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow... thanks for sharing. I am going to also test the "C" mode and go to "S" mode for my shoot this weekend. I too often get some soft focus. Thanks for the tip... and great work, a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview and beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh, Andee's work is beautiful! And her tip on taking my camera off of "C" mode.....GENIUS! My camera continuously searches for focus, and it drives me crazy. I just took it off "C" and put it on "S", and I can't wait to give it a try!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, thank you. The nugget I got from your post was switch to S instead of C. My biggest challenge with my D300 is soft focus. I want sharp, crisp and only soft when I want it.
    Thank you
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for another great interview. I love your blog :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! Impressive stuff. She has a great eye and is truly gifted in post-processing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been an Andee fan for a while... Her work is amazing!! She has definitely been an inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Andee's work! Wonderful vibrant colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, every one of these photos are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love my 85mm 1.8 prime too :) Andee does amazing work and knows her stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  22. fab interview and i love EVERY picture on here!!! she has such a cool style. i was laughing about the "silence of the clan" part...that is SO me!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Andee has been a good friend of mine for quite a while. It's so nice to see her long hours of learning and growing and her hard work being recognized.

    ReplyDelete
  24. love your photos and really love your interview...you sound like an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful images and interview - such a talented lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow! thank you for the "mode" advice - I always shoot on C and sometimes my pics are soft! Thank you so much... switching to S NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for your honesty! I loved this post. What a talented woman!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: