our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

4.22.2010

{low down, throw down with meg perotti}

real. beautiful. emotional.
meg perotti photography is all of these and so much more. you see a bit of her in her photos. i love that. you can see how her subjects on the other end of the lens are at ease, are having fun...are gorgeous! meg's style is unmatched and a true talent.
i'm thrilled to have such amazing talent on the blog today!!

i'm so happy to introduce you to meg perotti.....


Name: Meg Perotti
Business name: Meg Perotti, Photographer
Location: Santa Clara, CA
Website/blog: www.megperotti.com/blog


Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
I like pretty, feminine looking things- weddings, babies, love, laughter... thats my thing!



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I am a work-a-holic .. but I'm working on it. :)

How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I took a darkroom class in high school and have been hooked ever since. I studied fine art photography at California State University, Long Beach and shot weddings on the side to "pay my way." When I graduated I moved onto fashion and editorial, taking internships and working in the art department of a magazine- finally decided both the fashion and the "day-job" world weren't for me .. and here I am!



If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
"I should have been on Broadway." .. played by Amy Adams.

If you could own one exotic animal as a pet what would it be why and what would you name it? I'm not really an animal person... terrible?


What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?:
Save for web! :) ... No really, don't over do it would be my tip. I leave my old blog posts up so that people who stumble upon me can see my progression but sometimes I cringe looking back at how I used to over-process everything.

If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?:
I wish I could say donate it, but I'll be honest- I'd put it in my business bank account and possibly buy a new sample album. I need a better balance between work and play!


Where do you go to find inspiration?:
Fashion magazines, local art galleries, my clients.

What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?: Engagement sessions are probably my favorites. I love seeing the progression of the clients comfort levels from the start of the session to the end. I love making people feel great about themselves and engagement sessions are such a great way to bring out clients confidence!



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I used Canon 5Ds, 50mm 2.0, 28mm, 24-70, 70-200 .. I'd probably take the 50mm, but I'd crave a wide..... tough one.



What has been your most memorable session and why?
Photographing my best friends older sisters new born baby- Ivy. She is the most precious thing ever and seeing Kate become a mom was so beautiful.

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted? I was probably nervous- but I had been 2nd shooting for years before I went out on my own so I was completely prepared and knew I had the experience I needed to make sure and deliver to the clients what they were expecting. I did photograph a wedding once where they had pizza delivery..... those were the days.... :)



What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
The moment my love, Tim, asked me to be his partner forever.

What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
A band for our wedding ceremony!



What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
David LaChapelle ... I interned at his studio in Los Angeles when I was in college and learned so much about the kind of photographer I wanted to be. His work is always inspiring and he's someone who always pushes boundaries and I hope to do the same.


What's the best meal you cook?
I make a mean minestrone soup.

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Every morning when my dad would drop me off at school, as I got our of the car, he'd say, "Bring home knowledge!" To this day, I always try to bring home some knowledge where ever I go.


If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
Nothing. Maybe sit on our deck, read a book, take a bath... Running your own business is a 24/7 job... even when I do get time off my brain is still thinking about work.

If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice? My love of shabby chic? :)

What photography based organizations do you belong to?
WPPI, The B School, PPA, and Digital Wedding Forum


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? cozy
What is your least favorite word? vile
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? love
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? self-indulgence
What sound or noise do you love? crackling fire or falling rain
What sound or noise do you hate? snoring!
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? grrrrr
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? photo director @ vanity fair (if thats too close for comfort than a broadway singer :) )
What profession would you not like to do? I'm a terrible athlete!
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Nice work.


a huge thank you to meg!!!

10 comments:

  1. amanda worthington4/22/2010

    what beautiful photos. she does have great style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!! Meg, I'm so happy to "meet" you. You're work is quite lovely as it seems you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shot of the bride with all the frames! Congrats on your engagement. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful... so much natural emotion in every shot...
    you interned with David LaChapelle ???? So freakin' cool! He's one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is amazing. I love that the images are not over processed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous4/22/2010

    Amazing! Such great emotion in your work. I enjoyed your interview!
    ~Kaitie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those photos are breathtaking! I Wish I could put such life into a picture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! I like LaChapelles work too! I can't believe you interned with him - how awesome!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: