our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

4.08.2010

{low down, throw down with michelle huesgen}

it's been a while since i first saw michelle's work in flickr land....(you might know her better as untamed heART photography) and her photos drop my jaw even still. her photog business name says is all. her photos are full of heart and are amazing works of art. each photo is full of life, emotion, light and soul. her work speaks volumes and makes your eyes very happy!!

i'm thrilled to introduce you to michelle huesgen...


Name: Michelle Huesgen
Business name: untamed heart photography

Location: St Louis Missouri
Website/blog:
www.untamedheartphotography.com, www.untamedheartphotography.com/blog


Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

An artful combination of emotion, color, light and romance.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:

I am stone deaf in my left ear…




How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:

I have been in the business for 3 ½ years now. It was a childhood dream of mine…one I was never able to indulge until my wonderful husband encouraged me.

If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?

Chasing sunshine starring hmmmmnnn…I think Isla Fisher would play a good me. She has just the right combo of insecurity, shyness, spunk, and independence. I’ve been told I am a dead ringer for Amy Adams but she is way too put together to portray the real me lol…Now I have always thought Charleze Theron would play my mom to a T…just sayin..



What is one mistake you have made in your career that you wish you could take back or do over?:

Haven’t had that one yet…but I’m sure I will…


What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?:

I love running a high pass sharpen to make my images jump off the screen… go to sharpen-high pass sharpen-then set it to about 4-6 and adjust the layer to your liking!



If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?:

Go shopping and end up finding nothing I liked because I actually have money to spend…that happen to anyone else???

Where do you go to find inspiration?:

My children’s faces




What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?: My favorite session is the 2-3 year old little girl…they are always so shy and curious and end up giving me the most precious moments

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:

I use a Nikon D3 and if I could have only one lens it would be the 50 1.4 G…oh how I love that lens…



What has been your most memorable assignment and why? Hands down…the Matilda Jane Spring line shoot in Florida. It turned out being 32 degrees most of the time we were there…but we had SO much fun regardless!!

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted? Of course not…I was insecure and hurried myself…not a good combo, but it was a learning experience for sure!



Describe to us your dream session: A group of frolicking kids in the hills of Tuscany…or an outdoor wedding nestled in the hills of a winery on a 75 degree sunshiny day

What is at the top of your wish list right now?: warmer weather…lol



What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?:

Jose Villa…I love the organic feel of his weddings…

What's the best meal you cook?:

I make these open faced roast beef sandwiches with provel cheese, red onion and gravy…they are succulent!



What part of the photography world do you still struggle with or find challenges in?:

I think everyday is a challenge in this industry for a multitude of reasons…I just tell myself to stay true to my vision and my business plan.

If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?

I love going over to the Apple orchard in Grafton, IL. We have to take a ferry to get there and then drive along the river…It is just such a relaxing wonderful day!



If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice? My greasy hair and dirty robe.

What photography based organizations do you belong to?

WPPI



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? sweetie
What is your least favorite word? I can’t say it…but it starts with a “p”
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? love
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? Unethical mean people
What sound or noise do you love? Windchimes and laughter
What sound or noise do you hate? My Granny always said to never use the word hate, but I strongly dislike someone screaming in my only good ear LOL
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? I can’t say that either, but it is bad…
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Well I was a special education teacher for 5 years, so I guess if I ever had to leave the industry that is what I would go back to…but always thought being a delivery room nurse would be amazing too.
What profession would you not like to do? ACCOUNTING…
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

“let us eat cake”…maybe Marie Antoinette would be there too


a HUGE thank you to michelle!! make sure to leave her lots of blog love and check out her site/blog.

24 comments:

  1. Love michelle! Beautiful images!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AW, I love Michelle's work and she is a total sweetie (good thing that is her favorite word, lol)! Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/08/2010

    Amazing Work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am DROOLING over the wildflower shot!! Somebody's MaMa is beyond happy with that shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Michelle's work! These are awesome and it was fun reading the interview too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved reading this! Love the red dress shot on the side of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous work! Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! What a fun interview! Thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle - you are brilliant photographer and I so enjoyed reading your words. (by the way, I can't hear out of my left ear very well either! I tend to sleep on my right side so that all is silent)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks gals and you are so welcome!!! Raye...that is friggin hilarious because I have ALWAYS done the same thing...people ask what it's like being deaf in one ear...and I always say it ROCKS...cuz I have the benefit of sleeping very soundly during all sorts of mayhem...lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Michelle, I have followed your work for a while, but never knew the name behind the photography business. I love all that you do. Simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YAY! I love it so much when you guys post new throw downs and I didn't know of them. There are tons of great photogs out there! I LOVE michelle's work. There is such a cool feel to her photos. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. gorgeous work! thanks for introducing another amazing photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really beautiful work! I love every image posted! You have a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  16. *sigh* the style in which she processes her photos just makes me want to scrap everything I do and start all over. Its all just perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. she has been an inspiration to me for a while. SUCH a great interview and photographer. her images are just dreamy......

    ReplyDelete
  18. Michelle is such an amazing photographer~~ I love the emotion her images portray! What a wonderful spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunningly brilliant images! Truely inspirational!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations, michelle. i LOVED reading this...and you know how i loved you already. :) everything you do is magic. (isn't there a song like that?)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks so much Ladies!!! Lisa, I love you too...and yes..it's the Police...whom I absolutely adore...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful and fun interview Michelle. Your images and wok are amazing and an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. one of my favorite photographers to go to for eye candy...I love her work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. She is fraud.( Were you nervous? Of course not…I was insecure and hurried myself…not a good combo, but it was a learning experience for sure!)HA_HA
    What is one mistake you have made in your career that you wish you could take back or do over?:Haven’t had that one yet…but I’m sure I will…HA-HA
    Everybody do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: