our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

5.06.2010

{low down, throw down with shannon dodd}

happy thursday!!

another super fab photographer on the blog today.
shannon dodd (she has a great name huh? haha)
has an ability to capture such spirit in her photos. her work is pure, real, raw and just absolutely beautiful! ...and i have to say the same about shannon herself!
i know she was nervous about this, so make sure to leave her lots of love :)

i know you will love her and her work as much as i do!!!

i'm so happy to introduce you to shannon dodd...


Name: Shannon Dodd
Business name: SD Photography
Location: Mc Gregor, Iowa
Website/blog: www.shannondodd.com www.shannondodd.com/blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
My goal is clean, emotive and expressive portraiture ~ I get really excited when I create an image that I feel will be 'timelss' or a 'forever image!'


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I grew up on a family farm in rural North East Iowa with pigs, cows, and lots of corn




How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started: I purchased a DSLR just about two years ago strictly because I wanted to photograph my boys and I quickly fell in LOVE with everything about photography behind the scenes! My boys quickly got annoyed and friends started to ask me to photograph their children and things catapulted from there.



If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? "Farmer's Daughter" played by Jessica Alba ;)




Tell us about your first paid photography job?
A year ago this month- I was paid to travel to Chicago and shoot 2 newborns and 2 other children- it was an AMAZING experience and a total pleasure!


If you had to pick one reality show to be on what would it be and why?: The Real Housewives of OC- because their lives are so different from mine!



Where do you go to find inspiration?:
Cliche- but everywhere! Nature, Magazines, Antique stores, Flickr, and my blog reader is full with amazing photographers!




What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns....) and why?: Newborns! Closely followed by 6 month olds



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: Canon 5D Mark II, 50 1.2L, 85 1.2L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, and 100 2.8
I use my 50L nearly all the time, I LOVE my 85L, but I'm more comfortable shooting babies and younger children 'closer' and feel I get better interaction with them using my 50!


What is your current favorite pair of shoes?
My Frye Carson's


What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
The first date with my husband and the birth of our two boys!





What is at the top of your wish list right now?: Natural light studio in our side yard (probably not happening!)

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Life- Don't sweat the small stuff ~ Photography- It's all about the light


What is the all time best book you've ever read? I'm not much of a book reader, but I'm surprised to say that I really enjoyed the Twilight series

If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice? How red my face is from embarrassment because I'm probably in my pajamas and haven't showered !



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Love
What is your least favorite word? No
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Expectations
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Stress
What sound or noise do you love? Baby Giggles or my children laughing
What sound or noise do you hate? The telephone ringing while my boys are napping
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Oh, for the LOVE!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? A children's clothing boutique
What profession would you not like to do? anything from Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Your Mom has been watching and waiting patiently for you!




a HUGE thank you to shannon!!!

37 comments:

  1. shannon IS a fabulous name!! your images are gorgeous and beautiful and definitely timeless. the little babe with that little bed is fantastic! thanks for being part of TML! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. jody vander hart5/06/2010

    Beautiful work - my own little baby boy #3 will be here in less than two weeks - your newborn photos are making me so anxious! Thank you for sharing today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love your clean style (and yes, very timeless). I too love the one with the little bed, too cute!!
    You also give me such inpiration and hope to know that you started only 2 years ago and have gained such great skills, I am on that road and hope to follow your lead!! Thank you for being an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5/06/2010

    Shannon is not only the sweetest person, but an amazing photographer as well. I was so excited to see what my newborn daughter's pictures would look and I was not disappointed. Shannon takes sharp, clean pictures and captures those early moments that I could not. I cannot wait to go back in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Beautiful images. So happy to "meet" yet another fab photographer--and with only 2 years under her belt? Impressive to say the least. Well done! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/06/2010

    She is a wonderful person with a willingness to take risks with photography! She has done a WONDERFUL job with all of my childrens' pictures....her work is unlike anything else I've seen. I will never go anywhere else!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wonderful, Shannon! I love your photos. You have such a wonderful talent and it is great to see you and your work being showcased!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5/06/2010

    Shannon does just the most beautiful work! I would love for her to photograph my children! AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie McClain5/06/2010

    Beautiful, clean photos, Shannon! You really inspire me and give me hope as I am just getting started in the biz. :) Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greta S5/06/2010

    Thanks for sharing! Very nice work :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elsie Meyer5/06/2010

    Shannon you are the best! I cannot wait for Charlotte's 6 month pictures this summer! Your love for photography really shows in your work - makes your images even more special!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shantel5/06/2010

    Shannon, You are an amazing woman! This is a very well deserved spotlight for you. Enjoy! I am so honored that you are able to capture our memories now, and lots of them to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful to see your work here, Shannon! You have such great talent. Beautiful showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! These are absolutely gorgeous...rich and clean, and so perfectly timeless. What a talent she is - and it was so fun to get know more about Miss Shannon Dodd!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amy Schmidt5/06/2010

    Shannon is not only an extremely talented photographer, she's the best friend, wife, and mom I know!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5/06/2010

    "Dont sweat the small stuff" Great words to live by! If only everyone followed these words, the world would be a much better place! Great attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  17. what an inspiration!! Beautiful work..I really loved this interview!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! And I love her very last answer (what would you like to hear God say....)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous5/06/2010

    Shannon photographed my new born grandson last september & she was fabulous! He was just a week old & she was so calm & loving in every aspect of the shoot. She is as beautiful as her pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Heavens to Murgatroyd! I have found my new favorite photographer, sorry LeahP ;)
    Shannon your photos are breathtaking, the processing is perfection- looks completely effortless! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jenn and Rick DeLaRosa5/06/2010

    Shannon took pictures of our baby, Jack, when he was only one month old. It was the most fun my husband I have had with Jack to date...everytime we look at the pictures we remember how she spent the entire day loving our son.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ciara B5/06/2010

    Shannon is not only a wonderful photographer, but a wonderful person! She has take pictures of my daughter when she was a week old and just recently again at 9 months *she's the cutie in the stroller ;-)* Her work is absolutely beautiful. . . keep up the amazing work Shannon!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous5/06/2010

    Amazing Job Shannon!!! Loved looking through all your photos! We are lucky to have you in Northeast Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous5/06/2010

    You are AMAZING!! I will treasure Mylee's photos for life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amy Bahnsen5/06/2010

    I have never been so excited over pictures! I cant wait to see my nieces six month pictures, and years to come. Its so refreshing to see someone really love what they do! It's my goal to make sure every child in my family has a photo by the wonderful Shannon Dodd!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I absolutely love newborn photography! Shannon, your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. Just wow. These photographs are stunning and each one touched my heart and made me smile. Shannon, you are inspiring and your work is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your work is positively beautiful and inspiring. I'm so jealous you have God's country as your studio. My Grandmother lives in Fayette, Iowa (also Northeast), and I can't help but get out to shoot whenever I'm up there. We just don't have anything that compares in Missouri!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous5/07/2010

    Since the day Shannon has started taking pictures you can see the true passion for it in her eyes. Its something she has totally fallen in love with and does an amazing job. She captures moments that parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles will cherish forever. She truly has taken this to heart and ran with it. Keep up the great work Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really enjoyed this low down, I love the story of how she started and can totally relate! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. these are super beautiful!!! on a side note, anybody else find the font really hard to read?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Trisha T5/07/2010

    Shannon, AMAZING work! Congratulations on this opportunity. I can't wait for our engagement/wedding photos! You truly have a great passion for photography ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. what a fantastic photographer. her images are JUST perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous5/08/2010

    Shannon photographed my sons about 8 months ago. Her work is true art!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What beautiful work you do! I just looked through your site and loved every single shot. Great choice Maternal Lens!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous5/14/2010

    Shannon is not only a wonderful photographer, but a truly genuine person! Her heart is a heart of gold, and she has found her gift! Because of Shannon, we have photographs to treasure forever of our daughter! No one can take those images from us, and we are so thankful for that. I am so happy she is getting recognition for all her great work!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: