our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

6.10.2010

{low down, throw down with angie warren!!}

every once i a while, i will ask for a 'shout out' from our readers asking who they would like to see featured on our blog. last time i asked this i had NUMEROUS emails shouting out angie's name!
i have followed her and her blog for so long, i feel super silly that i didn't think of her earlier!!

she is an amazing photographer who captures the heart of who her clients really are. she has a style that that sets her above and i adore all that she does.

i am super thrilled to introduce angie warren.....



Name: Angie Warren
Business name: Angie Warren Photography
Location: Bay Area, Ca
Website/blog: www.angiewarrenphotography.com / www.blog.angiewarrenphotography.com
www.thecreativemama.com

First off. Congratulations! When we asked our readers to nominate someone to be featured on the low down, throw down, your name was chosen! Exciting, huh? (blushing) honored, thank you!



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Soft and dreamy with a touch of vintage.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I am addicted to Starbucks.



Do you have any formal training or are you self taught?:
100% self taught

If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you? I had to really think about this, I'm going to go with 'Love Actually' - because I adore the mantra that "love actually is, all around". No matter the situation in life, in good and in bad - I've had love and I am blessed for it. I often think of Rachel, Jennifer Aniston's character from 'Friends', yes, she could definitely play a good me :)



What does beautiful mean to you?
To me some of the most beautiful pieces I own are worn, weathered, and full of life. Of course I'm referring to furniture, or an old quilt, perhaps some of my favorite jewelry. These things are beautiful. In a person however? Beauty comes from within; from the depths of love and kindness and heart. I know many truly beautiful human beings, and am so thankful to have them in my life.



One item in your life that you couldn't live without is:
As corny as it may sound right now, my camera. It is my tool to the past, present and future.

What is your greatest post processing tip that you are willing to share?:
The S Curve! Admission: I just learned about this tool last fall, and it's made a world of difference in my processing.



If you could photography and celebrity (living or dead) who would it be and why?: Brad & Angelina's family - what a beautiful, eclectic, palette. Can't go wrong there.

What have you found to be the best resources and/or method of advertising?: Without a doubt, word of mouth all the way. If you produce a stellar product, gorgeous images, and treat your clients like they are family - they feel that and love it. Truly, they can't wait to share with their friends and family. Facebook has been an incredible WOM tool for me, and I've booked quite a few sessions through my fan page alone.



What is something that will will always find in your refrigerator?
My Brita water filter. I drink a lot of water throughout the day and am such an H20 snob! It has to be cold and taste clean!

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: I shoot with a Nikon D300 and only primes. My fave lens is definitely the 50mm 1.4 though I will admit to Canon envy with that darn 50mm 1.2 they have!



What has been your most embarrassing professional moment?
Oh my! Certainly the time I was leaving a family session. We shot on their gorgeous property in a really high class area here. This family lived over a small bridge and it was super narrow. Let's just say I was pulling an Austin Powers in my Chevy Trailblazer and got stuck. I knew my only choice was to just go for it, and when I did, I took out a chunk of their white picket fence. My poor SUV still has the scars to prove it and I wanted to vomit the entire way home from embarrassment. No worries, they were super sweet and I can now laugh about it, but oh boy was it horrible at the time!



What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted? Oh I am *still* nervous before a session! I was however much more nervous before the first big one. It was exciting, exhilerating, and terrifying all at the same time. Doesn't help that I took on a big group of 3 adult sisters and their combined 5 children. Whew, what was I thinkin? Thankfully they were wonderful and I still think back on that session fondly.

Is there a song that inspires you and lifts your spirits when you hear it?
Fly by Hilary Duff. I just adore that song.



What is at the top of your wish list right now?
Photography related: Lensbaby. Non Photography: an pink Schwinn bike!

What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
Honestly, Sarah Lane of Sarah Lane Studios in Napa. Why? Because we're having lunch tomorrow and I can't wait. (also she absolutely ROCKS her seniors!)

Do you use actions or presets? If so, what are your favorites?:
Both! I've been a long time lover of Lily Blue's presets (and her BW actions) but I also really enjoy Shana Rae's Florabella actions. That whimsical vintage look just give me goosebumps!



If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice? That I'm human ;) Five loads of clean laundry have invaded my dining room, there are dirty tissues on the couch from my allergy-stricken son, and the bunny's cage needs cleaning. Regardless of mess, you'll always find a candle or two burning and a house full of love.

What photography based organizations do you belong to?
I actually don't belong to any!



You run a fantastic site/blog called the creative mama. Can you tell us more about this? What it is, how it started.....
Well thank you! The Creative Mama was just a dream I had back in the fall of 2008. I wanted a place online that I could share all of the hundreds of ideas that were swarming through my head. I long admired the women who had started blogs and the communities of women they had created - I wanted to bring together the creative and the non-creative, to find the tiny ways we can live creatively in our every day lives. So I started out about a year and a half ago with just a handful of readers. I shared my heart, my organization tips, DIY projects, photography tips, and more. My dream snowballed into a full-blown job and I needed help! In October of 2009 I was thrilled to bring on a fantastic group of women, who share in my love of all things creative. Our team of writers now includes: Jessica Cudzilo, Kelli France, Marci Goodwin, Marta Locklear, Michele Anderson, Stacey Woods, Tisha McCuiston, and Tracey Clark. Together we bring our own unique qualities to the table and have crafted our own little community of women - I couldn't be more thankful for!



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Yummy
What is your least favorite word? Holla (my 5 yr old is into this word, kill me now)
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? light, colors, music, spring weather
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? rain, being run down and too busy, stress
What sound or noise do you love? laughter of my children
What sound or noise do you hate? airplanes
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Are you KIDDING me?? (insert furrowed brows)
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Love to be a professional author!
What profession would you not like to do? Anything in the medical world, I don't handle sickness well.
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I believe it does, and I hope that He'll say "Well done dear, well done."

a HUGE thank you to angie!! make sure to leave her lots of blog lovin'!!

9 comments:

  1. My fave in the whole wide world! aside from her obvious talent, she is such a 'real', down to earth person and one of the most genuinely good people i have ever met. (well, not literally met...but you know.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne6/10/2010

    Beautiful... fresh... and a little old at the same time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ♥ Great interview, Angie! As always, thanks for the Florabella love! You are amazing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOORAY! I'm so happy to see this interview! I positively ADORE Angie Warren's photography and have been blog stalking her for a while now! (And I also own several sets of Florabella actions and they are just the most gorgeous things ever!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, so, so beautiful. Now I have a new blog to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie is one of the most beautiful people I know (both inside and out).

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge fan. Huge!! It's always fun to learn about one of your favorite photographers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angie you are a true kindred spirit! So happy to see you interviewed here, spreading your light and love all over the blog world! You make such a difference in so many people's lives. Including mine. xxoo

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: