our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

6.16.2010

{low down, throw down with jasmine star}

you know her, you love her.
she makes you laugh, she inspires you.
she is an amazing photographer, she is an amazing writer.

that's right....jasmine star! i'm am sure you all know who i'm talking about...well, unless you live under a rock and don't have internet access and in that case, im sorry!

i had the pleasure to meet her at wppi and i have to say, she does not disappoint. she is even more charming, beautiful and kind hearted in person.

from her amazing photography, to magazines, to workshops...she is day by day taking over the world :) and how amazingly lucky are we to have her on our blog today!!! we are thrilled i tell ya, thrilled!!!

i'm over the moon to introduce jasmine star....


Name: Jasmine Star
Business name: Jasmine Star Photography

Location: Wherever my camera takes me
Website/blog:
b: www.jasminestarblog.com



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Lifestyle Photography for Fabulous People

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?
I love recklessly.



If you were told you could only eat one food for an entire week...what would you pick?
Cereal. I'm a girl of simple pleasures.

If you could own one exotic animal as a pet what would it be?
I've always wanted a baby monkey after Michael Jackson got his in the 1980s. He made everything look uber cool.


What is your greatest post processing tip that you are willing to share?:
The best tip I can give is to keep post processing to a minimum. Seriously. I'm a firm believer in clean, fresh, and vibrant pictures and overly Photoshopped images just detract from the essence of what a picture should be.

If you were given $500 today what would be the first thing you would do?:
I'd give $100 to my church. My daddy's a pastor and he always raised his children to give back whenever they could. Then I'd GO SHOPPING!


What have you found to be the best resources and/or method of advertising?:
I don't advertise or use traditional forms of marketing. I've discovered the best form of acquiring business is word of mouth referrals and creating a dynamic online presence.

What type of sessions are your favorite (children e-sessions weddings newborns....) and why?:
I only shoot weddings and engagements, but I'd have to say that engagements are my favorite!


What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
I shoot with the Canon 5DMII and my favorite lens is the 50mm, 1.2. I shoot with this dynamic duo more often than not, and it's truly helped define my style.


What moment in your life makes you smile every single time you think about it?:
When I was 10 years old, I had a leg cast that reached from my toes to my thigh. It was a hot summer day and I heard children playing over my neighbor's backyard fence. I wanted to peek on them, so I climbed the pool latter to get a better look. Next thing I knew, I fell into the pool with my 40-pound cast and couldn't swim to the surface. My twin sister jumped in and pulled me out by my hair like a caveman. Just writing this story makes me laugh all over again! :)


What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
35mm, 1.4 lens...I'm DYING to get it...

What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
David Jay...because he was my wedding photographer.


What's the best meal you cook?
I make pretty good manicotti. It's my claim to fame...or least my husband lets me think so!


If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
JD and I would go running along Laguna Beach, then eat our favorite breakfast at Nick's, then sleep on the beach, then we'd take Polo to the dog park, then we'd go home and make dinner with organic vegetables, then cuddle on the couch with Ben&Jerry's ice cream.



If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?
I wear socks with holes in them.



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)



What is your favorite word?
Fabulous.
What is your least favorite word?
Goodbye.
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally?
People.
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally?
Arrogance.
What sound or noise do you love?
My husband breathing next to me in the middle of the night.
What sound or noise do you hate?
Alarm Clock.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad?
Umm, can I plead the Fifth Amendment on this question?!? ;)
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
To become a writer.
What profession would you not like to do?
A lawyer.
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Well done my good and faithful servant....and, wow, you're having a great hair day! 

a HUGE thank you to the fabulous J*!!

15 comments:

  1. i love it! great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its awesome to hear she is a believer 2. I have something in common, shes a Pastors Kid :) and Im raising Pastors Kids ;-) Shes got fantastic style and such a great eye for composition!! <3 her work and your right, she is super sweet. Ive chatted with her once via email and was so impressed she even took the time to reply.

    Drea
    www.andrea-wood.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. love love love!!!! thanks to Maternal Lens and Jasmine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love her! Her work and her words have motivated me so much throughout my journey of starting my own business! My goal for 2011 is to attend one of her workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, could you tell me how to find the the prices for using showit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME! How could you not totally love her?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jasmine is amazing on all levels. I was thrilled when I opened your page and saw her name. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for the profile, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful interview!!! Jasmine is such an inspiration!!! Her photography is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore her! great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. jasmine you are a treasure! i adore you. thank you so much for being a part of The Maternal Lens - you inspire always. xo m.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin Guynn6/17/2010

    Awe!!!! I love her!!! I'm a pastors kid too...I understand the giving back whenever you can thing! <3 it!!!! She's OOBER talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. fabulous interview! I love J-Star :)

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: