our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

6.24.2010

{low down, throw down with kamee nuzman}

first of all...the winners of the sassy design and k.caldwell headbands
will be at the end of this post.

now on to the throw down. we asked our readers who they wanted to see and we heard you. kamee is the second reader's choice photographer and we are thrilled to be able to feature her!!!

i'd like to introduce you to kamee nuzman...



Name: kamee nuzman
Business name: kamee june photography
Location: southern california
Website/blog: www.kameejune.com www.kameejune.com/theblog/

First off. Congratulations! When we asked our readers to nominate someone to be featured on the low down, throw down, your name was chosen! Exciting, huh?
yes!!! so exciting! i am jumping out of my skin; i am so excited!! thank you so much; this is ultra cool!!

Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
my photography is bright and spirited, and, i hope, it creates some type of needed human response: a laugh, a sigh, a smile, a longing, a happy-tear, and later a sense of nostalgia.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?
i prefer to eat with plastic utensils, weird, i know. golden spoon, MUST be eaten with the plastic golden spoon, nothing else will do. if they forget to put it in my bag i have been known to turn around, return, and get one. i should just keep them stocked in my house; just in case. :)


Do you have any formal training or are you self taught?
i am self-taught. i used to be the yearbook and newspaper adviser at the high school where i taught. in the process of teaching my students how to take a picture and after publishing several annuals and newspapers, i learned a thing or two about photography.


If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
it would be called, "the, relatively speaking, every once-in-a-while, great kamsby." it would be a period film, a romantic comedy with lots of situational irony. sandra bullock would be the first choice to play the lead. if she were occupied both incredible k/cates (winslet and blanchett) would be asked to accept the role, and if they were unavailable then perhaps marion cotillard. oh, and it would for sure be a musical, like glee.



What does beautiful mean to you?
there are so many levels of beautiful: time alone, target all by myself, sonic cherry coke at happy hour, the nordstrom half- yearly with my girlfriends, the stars at lake powell during the summer, a drive-in with my man sans babies, my baby's giggle, my son's toothless grin, jaren's belly-laugh when i say something so funny, feeling understood- truly understood and, being loved, completely and uninhibitedly loved, and loving selflessly in return.

One item in your life that you couldn't live without is:
my blackberry. it's kind of like a child to me. i know, sad, but true. i remember the time before cell phones; not sure how we lived without them. seriously, it has helped me stay on top of my life for sure, and i like that feeling.



What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?
i love the the totally rad actions. my favorite set is the revenge. i run pool party on almost everything i shoot. i reduce the opacity to 20%; i have found it helps make really nice, even, and pretty skin tones!

If you could photography and celebrity (living or dead) who would it be and why?
princess diana, and james mcavoy (i have a huge crush on him.) oh and the bad brother, ian somerhalder, from vampire diaries; if he showed up at my doorstep, i would for sure let him snack on me! ;)


What have you found to be the best resources and/or method of advertising?
word of mouth has been my best form of advertising. i am so grateful for supportive friends and pleased clients who have helped spread some kamee june fever.

What is something that will will always find in your refrigerator?
milk. boring, but true. oh, and diet coke. (hook me up to the iv, on that one. ;))


What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?
i am a canon girl. i shoot with a canon 5d camera body and a slew of lenses (50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.8, 35mm 1.4, 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8, and a lens baby for fun.) if i could only use one lens it would be the 50mm 1.2; it's genius.



What has been your most embarrassing professional moment?
i called a groom "babe", on his wedding day. to his face, like, "i know what you mean, babe." still not sure where it came from or where my filter went, but i said it; they heard it, and we all laughed about it; thank goodness!! ;)

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
my first paid session was a maternity one. i was so flattered, totally honored, and thrilled to finally be paid, and the chosen photographer, but was of course nervous because i wanted to do a great job! (i still get a little nervous before i shoot; i want everyone to have a great experience and i want them to be so happy with their photographs that some nerves are always involved. i think being a bit nervous is actually a good thing.) it turned out great! i was so pleased with my first paid gig, and they were too; which is always the main objective!



Is there a song that inspires you and lifts your spirits when you hear it?
i am a total top 20 girl. in fact if you pass me driving in my car, chances are i will be rockin' out, singing like i am on american idol or something. :) i have a bit of an old soul too in terms of music. i was raised on frank sinatra, nat king cole, jazz, and 40's big band. i love all their contemporaries: michael buble, harry connick, jaime column, and i love melody gardot. her, "baby, i'm a fool", is just so jazzy, sexy, cool!! sometimes i sing it in my head when i am shooting couples!! ;)

What is at the top of your wish list right now?
a 27 inch imac, and an 85mm 1.2


What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
jennifer fields. she was so fundamental in helping me learn and grow. she answered all of my questions when i had them and was so willing to give me feedback for growth and progress. in fact, i know she dropped her own personal projects to help me with mine; she was/is always so generous with her time and knowledge. she made herself so available to me and was so encouraging and supportive. i admire her on so many levels. her work is incredibly clean and bright! www.jfieldsphotography.com
Do you use actions or presets? If so, what are your favorites?
totally rad actions, for sure are my favorites. the revenge set is ultra cool!! and i love kevin kubota's magic sharp.

If we surprised you at your home what would we see/notice?
that i could possibly, most likely, answer the door in my pajamas. it takes me a long time to get going in the morning, and if check email or facebook first thing then i am a goner for sure.i have to be super disciplined if we have an appointment at 900. i usually am not ready much before 10, sometimes 11. it take times to get us all ready and coiffed so we are presentable for the day! ;)


What photography based organizations do you belong to?
wppi, ppa, and digital wedding forum

And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? fortuitous and serendipitous (i had to include two.)
What is your least favorite word? i am laughing about this question and so are all of my friends; i have a list of words i hate!! sometimes they will run the words together, purposely, because they know it makes me cringe...my least favorites: moist and nugget. ewwwww.....
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? a good night's rest, a frosty cherry coke, a long kiss from my man, belly laughs with my best girls and my babies, color, texture, flavor, change, the mac counter, the apple store, barnes and noble, a new coffee shop, humor, quiet, itunes, and a delicious baked good...
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? intimidation and mean people. oh, and unnecessary drama
What sound or noise do you love? a dishwasher or dryer, and the sound of silence.
What sound or noise do you hate? whining
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? seriously?!? or unbelievable!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? something in the film industry: acting, costume design, cinematography, directing, screen adaptations...something that could get me to the academy awards (i always wanted to go, and of course win one! ;))
What profession would you not like to do? anything with numbers or driving a trash truck
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? welcome home. and then i am going to ask him when he has time to chat because i have a whole lot of things i need him to explain. :)


a huge thank you to kamee
and all of those who nominated her!!


***************************************************************************

finally...the winners!!!
the winner of the set of vintage headbands from kristen caldwell is.....
kelly!!
Kelly Beach said... I just love those new headbands - all of them, but especially the plum vintage ones. I would love to have some for older kids!
I really love the fancy frames from Sassy also!

and the winner of the $30 gift card from sassy designs is....
christina!!
christina tollett said... I "liked" both pages..can't wait to get updates from their pages.

if this is your name and your comment, email me at thousandwords@bresnan.net to claim your prize!

15 comments:

  1. I love her photography! So glad she won! I love finding out all these details about photographers also, it makes me feel like hey they are not that different from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She has an awesome style!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo!!! Kamee! I'm so happy you were nominated - you totally deserve every tiny little blessing that comes your way!!! See you TOMORROW! I'm about to start my party over here and bringing it your way tomorrow around 6pm!!! =) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kamee is the real deal and totally deserving of this honor! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been a fan of Kamee's for the longest of time!! She's amazing--just wishing I could hop a plane and have her take our pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her to she has given me tons of advice and really helped my business! Thank you Kamee!
    Angela Edelbrock

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kamee is my FAAAAAAVE. I LOVE her work and her personality is so bright and cheery and down to earth and so full of love!! The way she writes about her clients in her blog is just breath taking. I can't say enough good things about her, and I haven't even met her! I hope to make it to a workshop or kickin it session with her before the summer is over. Kamee: You are amaaazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! thank you all so much! i am so touched and honored!!!
    danielle, i am sure we have so much in common! ;) jill, awww, thank you so much!!! alissa, t-minus 10 hours!!!; can't wait to see you!! michelle, i am hugging you right now!!! amy, jump on that plane; make it happen!! ;) i would love to meet you and photograph your family!!! angela, i will always be here to help!! and lisa, WOW!!! thank you so much, this was so kind and thoughtful and wonderful!! let's kick it!!! i would love that so much!!
    thanks again for all the support and love and encouragement; i am grateful for all of you!!
    and to the ladies at maternal lens: big thank yous to you too!!!! happy friday everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing and inspiring work!! thanks for introducing me to such talent. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats Kamee, you're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, I love Kamee's work, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just had my (headshots) shoot with Kamee on the 10th and I felt like we were best friends already! Kamee is a great photographer because she's a great person and it shows through her personality and photos. Congrats Kamee! You, undoubtably, deserve this honor! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Kam's photography! It totally embodies life the way I WANT to see it. I wish I could live a whole day looking through her lense. It is the "sunnyside" of life in every shot. Besides, she makes everyone and every moment look SO GLAMOROUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. what an awesome interview. i had the priviledge of meeting kamee a couple of weeks ago and she is just is just way fabulous. one of those people you just want to talk to all day. and seriously, does her images rock or what?

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love kamee and her work!!!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: