our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

6.01.2010

throwin it down with a tml reader!

a few weeks ago we had our very first tml reader's photo contest! it was so fun to see amazing photos from our readers and let you all have the chance to vote on them!
well, our may winning photo was from tammy staley...


and here is her interview!!! please welcome tammy staley!


Name: Tammy Staley
Business name: Staley Photography
Location: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Website/blog: www.staleyphotography.com and www.staleyphotography.com/blog


First off. Congratulations! You were the winner of our very first reader's photo contest! How exciting! How does it feel to be the winner?
It feels really cool! Thank you to your readers who voted for my photo.



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
Umm, I would much rather hang out and have fun than get any work done!


How long have you been doing photography?Do you have any formal training or are you self taught?:
I've loved taking pictures for as long as I can remember but my interest really took off when I started having kids. I have attended a couple of seminars, but other than that I am completely self taught. I wish I had a mentor so it wouldn't have taken me so long! I started my business with a lot of portfolio building and learning on the job about 4 years ago and then went "official" 2 years ago.


If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
Oh boy, that's a hard one... let me get back to you on that :)

What is your favorite dessert?
Dessert! No really, I have a major weakness for sweets. So anything you put in front of me, I will eat!


What photographer is your inspiration?:
I have a few that I love. Patti Schmidt is amazing. Rebekah Westover, her style is just so cool. And for newborns, I admire Carrie Sandoval, Brittany Woodall, Tracy Raver and Kelley Ryden.


What have you found to be the best resources and/or method of advertising?:
My best advertising is word of mouth really.


What is something that will will always find in your refrigerator?
Milk and Hot dogs for the kids and Diet Cherry Pepsi for me!

What is your favorite childhood memory?
I remember going to my grandfathers house when he wasn't expecting us. We rang the doorbell and then let ourselves in. He had heard the doorbell so was heading towards the door when he saw us and his face just lit up! I was so excited to get to hug him one more time before we left town.


How long have you followed the maternal lens and what keeps you coming back?
I actually just discovered TML a couple of months ago, but I love that you introduce other photographers and the amazing work they are doing. You support the vendors and the photographers and that's really great.


What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
OMG! My first paid session, I was using film still and she wanted b&w, so I was using b&w film. It was for 3 siblings and I shot one roll. I was SO NERVOUS! They actually came out great and to this day one shot that I got of her 3 kids is still one of my favorites that I have done.


If someone wanted to buy you a gift, what would be something they could never go wrong with?
I love gift cards!

What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
A new camera and lens!



Do you use actions or presets? If so, what are your favorites?:
Definitely! I LOVE a lot of the free ones from Pioneer Woman. A couple other ones that I like are MCP and Kubota.

if we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?
I'm still in my pjs and my house is SO not clean!



What photography based organizations do you belong to?
I'm a member of PPA. I also volunteer for NILMDTS.

And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? I'm not sure I can say it here :)
What is your least favorite word? Diet
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? Creatively.. great light, willing subjects and inspiration
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? Dishonesty
What sound or noise do you love? My kids laughing
What sound or noise do you hate? Whining!
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Again, I can't say it here :)
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? How about a millionaire, is that a profession? :)
What profession would you not like to do? Teacher. They work so hard for so little :(
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? You are a good person.


if you are interested in being a featured reader like tami, stay tuned to the tml facebook page. once a month i will randomly put up a post asking for readers favorite photos. the first 10 photos received will be put up for a vote!!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on winning. Your work is really nice. Fun interview. I'll be watching closely for the next contest. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monica6/01/2010

    Awesome! Beautiful stuff. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great choice with Tammy... she is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6/10/2010

    Fun interview! Great idea, TML.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: