our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

7.08.2010

{low down, throw down with Ella Blue Studio}

What a special treat we have for you today! Meet Crystal of Ella Blue Studio. Her photos are filled with so much warmth and light, they are truly special!


ellablue by you.

Name: Crystal Verhoff
Business name: Ella Blue Studio
Location: Auburn, Wa
Website/blog: www.ellabluestudio.com


First off. congratulations! when we asked our readers to nominate someone to be featured on the low down, throw down, your name was chosen! exciting, huh?
Thank you so much for choosing me, I feel honored to be on this awesome blog!



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?
I have sensitive hearing, as a result, I'm really great at remembering voices. I can recognize almost anyone by the tone of their voice.



Do you have any formal training or are you self taught?
I learned the basics from my dad when I was a teenager. Eventually, I studied black & white film photography at Photographic Center Northwest. Everything else was learned on my own.



If they made a movie about your life what would it be titled and who would play you?
Probably an independent film about an shy, innocent girl living in a quirky family. Maybe starring Kate Winslet or Maggie Gyllenhaal?



What does beautiful mean to you?
When I'm with my family...all together and happy. Those are the moments that feel beautiful to me.



What is your greatest post processing tip that you are will to share?
Keep it natural and avoid trends.



If you could photography and celebrity (living or dead) who would it be and why?
Audrey Hepburn, I've always loved her beautiful spirit.



What have you found to be the best resources and/or method of advertising?
Shoot with confidence, kindness and gratitude-your name will spread like wildfire.


What is something that will will always find in your refrigerator?
Trader Joe's Organic Peanut butter, definitely a favorite in our house.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?
We use Canon 5ds and prime lenses. I couldn't live without Canon's 50mm/1.2L, my absolute favorite lens!



What has been your most embarrassing professional moment?
At a wedding last year, I came out of the restroom with a long piece of toilet paper dangling down the back of my pants. Thank God Jason was there to tell me before I headed back into the reception!



What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
I was extremely nervous for my first paid wedding, the lighting was terrible and I had very limited equipment to work with but I managed to create some beautiful, meaningful images that the bride loved.



Is there a song that inspires you and lifts your spirits when you hear it?
There is new song out that I absolutely love by Nathaniel Rateliff, titled "Once In A Great While." It instantly puts me in a good mood.



What is at the top of your wish list right now?
To fit into my clothes that are way too tight right now :)


What is the first photographer that comes to your mind and why?
My friend Heather Gilson of One Love Photo. Her work doesn't follow trends...it's consistent, timeless and a little quirky.



Do you use actions or presets? If so, what are your favorites?
Most of my post-processing is done in Lightroom but sometimes I'll play around with Alien Skin in Photoshop.



If we surprised you at your house today what would be the first thing we would notice?
We have paper airplanes all over the place, Gibson is obsessed with them right now.


What photography based organizations do you belong to?
Nothing at the moment. I probably should be but I've never been interested.


And lastly.....when we started {the maternal lens} all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word? warmth
What is your least favorite word? The four letter word that rhymes with truck but starts with f.
What turns you on creatively spiritually or emotionally? great music, gardening and sunshine
What turns you off creatively spiritually or emotionally? difficult and unappreciative people
What sound or noise do you love? baby giggles and birds singing
What sound or noise do you hate? city traffic or sirens
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? arrrggg!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? something in the field of natural medicine
What profession would you not like to do? anything political
If Heaven exists what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome.

Thanks for letting us get to know you Crystal!
Be sure to leave her some love!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this...

    It's amazing!...

    Nuh Sarche

    ReplyDelete
  2. crystal!!! you're fabulous and your photography is so real and fresh. i just love it!! thanks for being here - xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay, i'm so excited to see crystal on here!! i love ella blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the baby drool is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful work. great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful woman to feature! Crystal is a sweet sweet soul and always makes me feel calm and happy when I am around her. Her photographs makes me feel the same way. Her photography is genuine and full of LOVE! She is an amazing mother and a bright light.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: