our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

8.19.2010

{low down, throw down with erika jessop!}

i found erika jessop quite a while ago in flickr world. she's a photographer, she's an artist and she a designer. she truly is the triple threat :)

her photography is gorgeous, her paintings are out of this world amazing and her logos are hands down incredible! i have had 'get painting from erika' on my to do list for over a year now. i know, right??! it's my goal to get one this year...they are sooooo amazing!


and erika, well she's just about as sweet, kind and beautiful as they come. her talent is limitless and never ceases to amaze me. i will let you read and see for yourself!! :)


i'm thrilled to introduce you to erika jessop....



Name: Erika Jessop
Website/blog: Erika Jessop Studios


Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
I would like to think it's reflective of love.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I love, love, love dogs. My husband and I adopted our first in June. His name is Rooney and he's the love of our lives. Before we had him, we'd visit the dog park just to pet other peoples' doggies. Shhhh, don't tell!



You are a women of many talents. Tell us a bit about how you got started in painting and logo design:

I began painting in college. My first course for my graphic design major was oil painting. After two painting classes, I switched my major to fine art because I loved it so much. I haven't stopped since. Now I'm working with an art agent in Denver to market a new series of paintings on wood. They're inspired by loneliness, love, and photography.

How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I purchased what I deemed to be a nice camera at the time, a Kodak point and shoot with a zoom lens, in 2004 with an art grant from school. I started taking self portraits; dressing up and shooting for hours, altering my look a bit, taking some more. I was really in love with Cindy Sherman's work. I would also spend a lot of time editing these photos and nature shots. Of course, I look back on these weak attempts now and laugh...they were all part of a journey I suppose I'll always be on.



What is your best post processing tip?:

My friend Patrina said this and I love the comparison...Coco Chanel said, "Before leaving the house, a lady should look in the mirror and remove one accessory." I try to think of this in terms of post processing. An action might look just as nice at 20% opacity. Sometimes, I'll just apply a texture at 12-15% to a vignette layer. I try to maintain a natural quality. All of the editing tools we have at our disposal today are wonderful, but I think the trick is in finding the right amount (removing an accessory or two).



Where do you find inspiration for your paintings?

When I really need inspiration, my surefire place is my flickr favorites. I just browse for color combinations that I like, poses, set-ups, etc. I have "faved" a lot of conceptual photography and I go back to those to be inspired for the new series I'm working on. Also, my parents call me sometimes and tell me they saw a little kid doing the cutest thing. For example, my Dad phoned once to tell me about an adorable girl who stopped her family's march down the sidewalk to pick a dandelion and blow it's seeds into the wind. How sweet is that? I love those moments.



What does beautiful mean to you?:

Different, quirky, unusual, unique.

Explain to us your dream vacation?:
Well, I've never traveled outside of the U.S. I dream of doing that someday. Perhaps visiting the Louvre.



Is there something you have in the back of your mind that you've been wanting to try, but haven't done it yet?:

Oh yes, I want to kayak here in Colorado. The Clear Creek is beckoning to me. I need to rent a boat and just go for it!

If you could photograph one person (living or dead) who would it be and why?: Hmmm...Audrey Hepburn. I think that would be pretty amazing.



What is your most embarrassing moment?

Are you kidding? I have them daily! Ummmm, ok yesterday Rooney wouldn't come to me so I gave his leash a tug and the collar flew right off and landed with the leash on the ground in front of me. Our neighbor saw it happen and I heard her chortle. It was so funny!


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?:

Still filling walls in folks' homes and hopefully filling walls in galleries from coast to coast too.

What song do you love? You know the one that can lift your spirits no matter what:
Can I have two? Pretty please? Cousins by Vampire Weekend and Live Hight by Jason Mraz.


What is the all time best book you've ever read?
Be the Pack Leader by Cesar Millan. Haha!

If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice? It's very....ummm quaint.

What are your best tips to balancing your work, family and fun?: I
f you have any, please share them. I'm still figuring this one out, but I do try to block out time for myself. I'm going to break out the lawn chair and Kool-Aid this afternoon.



If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?
A Creative Life (that's the title of my personal blog: www.erikajessop.wordpress.com) and Ginnifer Goodwin would have to play me. I adore her!


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? tushie
What is your least favorite word? figuratively (because I have a hard time pronouncing it)
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? music
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? bad drivers, grrrrrr...
What sound or noise do you love? Rooney breathing as he sleeps
What sound or noise do you hate? trains
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? not suitable for a family blog :)
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Whole Foods deli person
What profession would you not like to do? plumbing
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? nice work!

7 comments:

  1. Awwwww... I love Erika and her work! So glad you featured her today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Erika, I'm working with her on a project right now and she's amazingly talented and incredibly patient lol. Im enjoying it so much. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. erika - you are incredibly talented and such a delight. thank you for visiting us at TML. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great feature! I really love her style and the natural feel to imagery. Thanks for introducing her to some of us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love her artwork! So fun! Definitely need to commission some for my boys as well. Also, love the word "tushie" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore everything Erika Jessop! Her work always gets a sigh out of me and I too would love to own one of her paintings some day. She's a super nice girl, too. Love. That. Chick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8/20/2010

    I love Erika too... She's my sister :) And I'm very, very proud of her! -Aubrey

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: