our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

8.26.2010

{low down, throw down with Meg Borders}

Meet Meg Borders. She is an ahhhhmazing photographer with such a love of light, it shows in every one of her photos. Her images are super dreamy and creamy and her personality shines right through them! It was such a pleasure to put today's low down together - thank you Meg!




Name: Meg Borders
Business name: Photography by Meg
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
Website/blog: www.photographybymeg.net, www.photographybymeg.net/blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
My photography is characterized by a thirst for light, offering an airy, dreamy style that welcomes buttery backlighting and creamy warmth.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?
I am a dreamer! Since I was a young girl I’ve always dreamt big and still believe that anything is possible. My castle-in-the-sky perspective shines through in my work, and I think capturing that mood for others is a real motivator for me.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started?
Mine is the classic story. I picked up my first DSLR after my first daughter was born couldn’t get enough of it. I had more photos than I needed, and soon realized that the joy wasn’t just in capturing my daughter, but in the art and the possibility. I spent a year learning intensely, soaking up everything I could about the science of photography. I opened for business in January of 2009 and have been humbled by the ascent. I am a relentless learner and desire to grow and evolve constantly.


If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?
It would be a fairytale story about a prince his princess. I am the princess, though I don’t know it or believe it. My prince falls unexpectedly for me, and against the odds we fall in love. My movie would be set among vast fields, with brilliant flooding light, weeping trees and wild horses! It would be titled Light and Love Through My Lens and Taylor Swift plays me. *You didn’t say it had to be real!


What is your best post processing tip?
Don't try and mimic what others do, rather find what processing style makes your heart sing and stick with it. Stay true to your instinct and passion. If you allow yourself to succumb to conflicting peer and consumer tastes, you'll constantly struggle to find your center and express yourself.


What is your best tip for getting great lighting in photos?
I love evening light and always schedule sessions for the evening (2 hours before sunset.) I look at how the light falls and wraps around my subject and move him/her around until I am seeing through my lens the image dancing in my head. I am a huge fan of backlighting. I love when my subjects look like they are bathing in sun rays.


What does beautiful mean to you?
"Beauty is not in the face; beauty is a light in the heart." Kahlil Gibran. Beautiful is when I'm able to capture my subject in a way that's most genuine to who that person is, yet represent them in a way they've never seen themselves.


Explain to us your dream vacation:
My husband and I have always dreamt about going to Bora Bora and staying in a hut over the water with the see through floor. One day….


What type of sessions are your favorite (children, e-sessions, weddings, newborns...) and why?
E-sessions and seniors have become my absolute passion. I can’t get enough of capturing the magic of two people completely in love - there is something so special about it. I love seniors because I have a craving for young women to feel dignified and beautiful amid the many pressures they deal with in our culture. My goal is to draw out their inner beauty and translate that to pixels. I want girls to know they can be captivating without having to compromise.



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?
I shoot with a D700 and my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.4. If I had to choose just one lens, I think it would have to be the 85. The bokeh is so creamy.



What is your most embarrassing moment?
How about the first day of high school I went up to the white board in front of the class to write down an answer to a question. As I got back into my seat, my desk mate quietly told me “you have a rip in your pants”…


As a mom and photographer, how do you balance your life?
I struggle daily with finding the balance between mom and photographer. If someone has figured this out, please email me! My compass is to remember that above anything else, my children are my priority. With that core value underlying everything I do, I then make photography work in and around it.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I see myself living in a wheat field on the countryside with my husband, raising my beautiful children, producing images that inspire people, and making a difference in others’ lives. I’d also like to be sipping lemonade in my rocker on my front porch watching the sunset. Hmmm...kinda sounds like a good country song, or part of my aforementioned movie. A girl can dream a little, right?




What song inspires you?
Any song that can lift your spirits or change your perspective in difficult circumstances. Lately it has been "It's Your Life" by Francesca Battistelli.


What is the all time best book you've ever read?
Hard question, there are so many… currently reading Loving Your Children on Purpose” by Danny Silk. It is totally changing my outlook on parenting.


If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?
If you came in the morning you would notice that my girls and I are still in our jammies. . If you came in the afternoon, you might catch me during my daily dance party with my girls jamming out to “Party in the USA.”




And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Perfect. I say it way too often.
What is your least favorite word? Pewter…it really bothers me.
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Nature, and how light interacts with it!
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Crudeness.
What sound or noise do you love? The sound of my daughters laughing.
What sound or noise do you hate? When my husband taps his teeth with his nails. Gag.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? When I get really mad I cry.
What
profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I got my degree in social work and I’ve always wanted to advocate for children as a children’s social worker.
What
profession would you not like to do? Anything physically labor intensive. I am a weenie.
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Welcome home daughter."

62 comments:

  1. What a fantastic interview and a fantastic blog! Meg's images are gorgeous so dreamy! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Meg! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Her images are beautiful and you can really tell how she really thinks about how her lighting will play part of the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/26/2010

    BEAUTIFUL work!!!
    ~Kim Cain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin Potter8/26/2010

    Wow! These images are simply beautiful! Thank you so much for having Meg on the low down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may just be my favorite LDTD yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8/26/2010

    These are wonderful..

    ~LiveLifeStudio

    ReplyDelete
  8. great interview along with BEAUTIFUL images

    ReplyDelete
  9. one of my favorite interviews to date. meg's work is so inspiring and her advice is spot on. and yes, her images are unreal...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it....and he will be there to say Welcome home daughter. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found out about Meg recently and I just adore her work! Great interview! :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Meg. Goodness and sweetness radiate from her in such a tangible way. She has grown incredibly in the past year and I find such joy in looking at her vision come to fruition in her images. Great interview.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i loved getting to know you better.....

    your photos amaze me !

    and i worked as a casa for three years and loved it....and usually had the social workers mad at me since we disagreed so often.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ahhhhhmazaing images indeed. I love Meg's dreamy use of light. I am so inspired by all the moms-turned-photographers I am finding on the web. Just in the beginning of this journey myself...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meg is one of my absolute favorite photographers. I love her style and her ability to capture light so perfectly..I am inspired by her gorgeous work..Thank you for this wonderful interview!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1/21/2011

    i LOVE it! You are such an inspiration Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2/25/2013

    You could must repeat a few instances, on the other hand it usually performs.
    The superior rubber will present fantastic cushion to the runners.

    The fantastic rubber will give wonderful cushion to the runners.
    You should use fresh blossoms, ferns, and even
    cuttings of some modest trees. http://www.
    airmaxcheapest.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2/26/2013

    I tend not to leave a response, however after browsing
    through a few of the comments on this page "low down, throw down with Meg Borders".
    I actually do have 2 questions for you if it's okay. Is it simply me or do some of the comments look like they are left by brain dead individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on other sites, I would like to follow everything fresh you have to post. Would you make a list of every one of all your shared sites like your linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

    my web-site; ketone Diet

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous3/31/2013

    I am curious to find out what blog platform you have been using?
    I'm experiencing some minor security issues with my latest blog and I would like to find something more safe. Do you have any recommendations?

    Also visit my website :: ロレックスコピー

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous4/01/2013

    I am really impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on
    your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself?

    Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a
    nice blog like this one nowadays.

    my blog post; nike air max 2012

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous4/02/2013

    This is a topic that is close to my heart... Cheers! Exactly where
    are your contact details though?

    My homepage :: cheap air max 2013

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous4/07/2013

    Hi there, every time i used to check webpage posts here early in
    the break of day, as i love to gain knowledge of more and more.



    Here is my web blog www.christianlouboutinoutletshopx.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous4/07/2013

    What's up, yup this paragraph is genuinely fastidious and I have learned lot of things from it on the topic of blogging. thanks.

    My homepage www.christianlouboutinoutletshop2013.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anonymous4/09/2013

    Doing this incorporates several facets of our practice lives.
    So you've heard the words "Christian Life Coach" and are by yourself what the industry involves. You have to get past the hurt, disappointment, anger, and distress. Maybe what appeals to you is the associated with helping others. http://www.coachtsuuhan.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous4/10/2013

    Cost of pass also includes accessibility Hualapai Indian Township.
    For this reason, on the whole life coaches change up so that they've got multiple streams of income. Sin city bus excursions to your Grand Canyon the particular most economical way to get there. The lord leads certain patients into psychological research. http://www.kochininki.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous4/10/2013

    This is where adventure operators and brokerages publish their cheapest deals.
    The opposing player who removed the ball ran 30 yards, untouched, for a landing.
    Tours start involving morning and take from a complete day of the week to 15 work hours (South Rim).
    They are one particular cross between a mentor and a trainer.
    http://www.bagscoachjp.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anonymous4/10/2013

    One of those blocks actually concluded in his team's most effective touchdown. Only a moderate percentage of Jamaal life coaches have a thriving practice. Were you aware that there are lots different types about carbohydrates? Almost too often, a person's benefit of the latest diet
    coach would be highly minimized. http://www.
    ko-chisaifu.com/

    Here is my blog; コーチ アウトレット

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous4/17/2013

    I am extremely inspired along with your writing talents as smartly as
    with the structure to your weblog. Is this a paid subject or did you modify it your self?
    Either way keep up the nice quality writing,
    it's uncommon to see a great weblog like this one nowadays..

    My page: http://www.jedheads.com/SammieWes/info/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous4/19/2013

    ネットはそれぞれの本物のデザイ
    ナー袋のバージョンから
    開発されてきた

    Feel free to visit my web site: ミュウミュウ

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anonymous4/20/2013

    But it one other held that you will need to have one's very judgment. They are Fictive for your travel, party, office and festive occasions. Important things have been designed produce and maintain keen relationship with people. It is an international brand which tends to original lather sacks. http://www.screwders.com/index.php?do=/profile-55523/info/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Anonymous4/20/2013

    Proform seats are perfect seats for small bit boats.

    Then, my mom would definitely currently have a small pride pouch in our bag.
    Considering that, models should be looking at the actual weight for this handbag
    they opting for. You ought to play it safe and stop taking any opportunities.
    http://miniclip.com.pk/groups/lv-bags-services-with-reference-to-legitimate-property-attest/

    ReplyDelete
  33. Anonymous4/22/2013

    夜の靴はもはやポンプ
    に限定されていませ
    ん;干潟はまたあなたに多くの優雅さと魅力を提
    供することができます


    Visit my blog post; ミュウミュウ バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous4/22/2013

    エルメスはハンドバッグに使用するために提示された高品質の革のほぼ98%を離れて回すために悪名高いです。

    Feel free to visit my web page - メンズ コート バーバリー バーバリー

    ReplyDelete
  35. Anonymous4/23/2013

    。実際のマネ
    ージャは、最大実際
    のランプの作品
    は、いずれCELも点灯して
    いることを認識していることを確認す
    るには瞬間点火主は
    実際に元のジョブを取得します。一度電気モーターが稼働される可能性があり、
    光が外に起こってい


    My web site :: coach バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous4/23/2013

    。 "9月号"のドキュメンタリー映画のおかげで、国
    民がすることの重要性を知っている9月
    の広告雑誌。あなたが9月の雑誌を介し
    て読み取るときは、大きなブランドから非
    常に多くの広告が、数量、実際に陸橋雑誌
    が含まれている
    内容から見て
    あまりにも多くの
    ものを持ってい


    Feel free to surf to my web page グッチ バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  37. Anonymous4/24/2013

    Pea coats tend become more form fitted than other a lot of clothes.
    Its not stunning air max a person take into consideration what is event.
    That's equivalent to about 6 newly harvested apricots. You'll soon recognize that the fish aren't disperse all more than the stream. http://comhaltas.ie/member/135244/

    ReplyDelete
  38. Anonymous4/24/2013

    多くの靴の色は多分グレーや黒を除いて茶色の色と一緒に行く

    Also visit my website 店舗 バーバリー

    ReplyDelete
  39. Anonymous4/24/2013

    ロンドンファッションウィーク中にバーバリーの2011年春ファッションショーはファッションに精通した見物人の春のロッカーシックな傾向に一瞥を与えファッションの世界ではスタッズがファッションに戻っていたことを知らせる

    Feel free to visit my web blog マフラー バーバリー

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anonymous4/25/2013

    For only $199, why almost certainly you want a particular one!
    what is generally more, from Nba to football game, Nike has accepted its intent > Just do the idea.
    Tennis and women's layout for too particularly long has been considered an oxymoron. Greater all, pick the shoe that can sometimes your feet comfortable. https://www.noridianmedicare.com/learning/user/view.php?id=96122&course=1

    ReplyDelete
  41. Anonymous4/26/2013

    That huge selection off Canadians go to actually Detroit as definitely as other U.
    This is the pretty trustworthy as well as simple way to acquire a
    great deal. The exact cushion gives more comfort because
    it brings in lots more air. All road cars have shock absorbers
    that lend a smooth spin. http://chitte.rs/cassie256

    Feel free to surf to my website ... air max 90 billig

    ReplyDelete
  42. Anonymous4/27/2013

    Where to get and buying Louis vuitton Neverfull inexpensive custom totes?

    The whites flap marked 30, Stamped "Louis Vuitton Paris, Made doing France".
    Choose from the best moment in time for you you can see a residential home.
    Techniques various sorts of captain's chairs running the gamete on quality. http://www.oitaplaza.jp/english/userinfo.php?uid=19235

    Here is my page; ルイヴィトン 財布

    ReplyDelete
  43. Anonymous4/28/2013

    。オンラインサイトにもかかわらず、あなたがYahooとGoogleで表示されますトラフィックを
    ターゲットを促進する上で、常に
    右から大金を作成するた
    めにおそらく最も有用な方法であったか
    の理想的な取引があることを確認ページの友人や家
    族。多くの
    最先端の起業家は
    、検索エンジンの最適化は時間、デパートの時
    間と労力と忍耐のない終わりを取るする見
    落とす。 。だけでなく、コーチ、単純
    にすべての有名なファッション
    デザイナーのマークの

    Feel free to visit my web site :: http://cgi.speedway.ne.jp/~e-tabi/cgi-bin/lec-tsukuba/aska.cgi

    ReplyDelete
  44. Anonymous4/29/2013

    Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere?
    A theme like yours with a few simple adjustements would really make my blog jump out.
    Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks

    Here is my web-site; karen millen dresses

    ReplyDelete
  45. Anonymous4/29/2013

    うまくいけばchavsは自分ではないと思っ実現作る

    Also visit my site: バーバリー 財布 メンズ

    ReplyDelete
  46. Anonymous4/30/2013

    Therefore, every runner has a fitting size along with choice
    of the favorite color. Fish are no much more time concentrated within their summer
    haunts. So if we pursue a high quality lifestyle,
    you should trust shox boot footwear. Here in addition, Champs
    causes away daily incentives. http://confabular.com.br/agricultura/index.
    php/gwenjorda/all

    Feel free to surf to my weblog :: nike air max schwarz

    ReplyDelete
  47. Anonymous4/30/2013

    数分の一のコスト
    で、内部のzip、携帯電話、およびPDAのポケットの革のライニングが付いている閉鎖。彼らは蛇エンボス加工革の色から隠蔽されているので星があることは明らかではあり
    ませんけれども、こ
    のグッチパイソンホーボ​​ーバッグはその後、恒星のエレガンスに、このホーボーを
    もたらし

    Visit my web blog; 財布 グッチ

    ReplyDelete
  48. Anonymous4/30/2013

    Hey just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the
    images aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why
    but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same results.

    Here is my web-site; diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous5/01/2013

    ただし、偽の品質の製品を識別する方
    法を知っています

    Also visit my blog :: シャネル バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous5/02/2013

    GUCCI shoes are available for each individual in rotten affordable price.
    Then, she would definitely come with a small mirror pouch in the bag.
    Make generally emcees work just like quick as workable.

    Is not going to stroll into that parking good deal for
    a use tobacco. http://horseracingeverydaywins.comuv.com/?
    L=blogs.blog&article=7959

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous5/02/2013

    Louis Vuitton Italy is a dependable brand and settled since in
    1854. You may Louis Vuitton Outlet go back to regular when you are possession.
    These are so befitting and congenial in addition to the totally different performances.
    Make sure somebody also have meals Louis vuitton 2012 moreover sundries.
    http://allweber.com/profile/YukikoBou

    ReplyDelete
  52. Anonymous5/10/2013

    Seismitoad appears to indeed be a combination involving a
    toad and a loudspeaker. Mawile are short yellowish or
    golden-tinged and black Pokmon. She completed his look with Jimmy Choo's "Vibe" console sandal for your occasion. alongside its counterpart under the ownership of Ursula. http://www.chronicvybz.com/community/user/InesTGWL

    ReplyDelete
  53. Anonymous5/12/2013

    Cool blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download
    it from somewhere? A theme like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make
    my blog shine. Please let me know where you got your theme.
    Thanks

    my web site; cheap christian louboutin

    ReplyDelete
  54. Anonymous5/17/2013

    Nice weblog right here! Also your website a lot up very fast!
    What host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link on your host?
    I want my web site loaded up as quickly as yours lol

    my web-site; モンスタービーツ

    ReplyDelete
  55. Anonymous5/17/2013

    Hmm it looks like your website ate my first comment (it
    was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I wrote and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog.
    I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for novice blog writers? I'd certainly appreciate it.


    Here is my website :: モンスターケーブル

    ReplyDelete
  56. Anonymous5/18/2013

    Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of
    any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

    My web site: アバクロンビー

    ReplyDelete
  57. Anonymous5/19/2013

    We stumbled over here from a different website and thought I might
    as well check things out. I like what I see so now i
    am following you. Look forward to looking into your web page again.


    Feel free to surf to my homepage; prada バッグ

    ReplyDelete
  58. Anonymous5/19/2013

    That is a very good tip especially to those fresh to the blogosphere.

    Brief but very accurate information… Appreciate your sharing this
    one. A must read article!

    My web-site ... プラダ

    ReplyDelete
  59. Anonymous5/19/2013

    Yes! Finally someone writes about モンスター ヘッドホン.



    Visit my web-site モンスタービーツ

    ReplyDelete
  60. Anonymous5/22/2013

    Likewise, these guys may possibly quite possibly be to the pretty top
    of the construction. Nevertheless, they showcased good comfort and style.
    Details don't appear each superior throughout the ocean. The Tri-Star has a fabric internal bag and it uses paper ships inside the canvas bag. http://wiki.8bitklubben.dk/index.php/Bruger:MTVAsa

    Feel free to visit my web page - air max uk

    ReplyDelete
  61. Anonymous5/23/2013

    Which online jobs are obtainable to anybody that ready to strive do them.

    Perform not be appealed by polished literature. Biomass roofing is the use of plant materials develop roofs.
    Permaculture educates much a lot than varied aspects related to farming.
    http://www.music74.ru/index.php5/%D0%A3%D1%87%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA:MarcBorde

    ReplyDelete
  62. Anonymous6/04/2013

    louis vuitton also designed more traditional satchels for the spring/summer 2012 ski season.
    Plus, there is certainly also the entire challenge of kill to your car or truck.
    http://nam.nu/index.php?do=/blog/25360/some-of-the-big-reasons-louis-vuitton-handbags-are-so-popularly-accepted/add-comment/

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: