our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

9.13.2010

{low down, throw down with Meg Manion Silliker}

This week we'll be posting a series of {low down, throw downs} of us! Have you ever wondered who is behind the Maternal Lens? Well, now you'll know! The five of us are different in so many ways, yet forever united in our love of photography and motherhood. We hope you enjoy getting to know us just a little bit better.


First up is our beloved Meg. She is such an inspiring woman - strong, patient, chic, soulful and classy. She is certainly the ying to my yang, mellow and cool at any given time. Meg's photography echos her artsy personality and quaint, hip locale. Her work is dreamy and fun, vintage inspired yet modern. When you swim through her photos, it's like you've been filled with a fresh breathe. We know you'll love her as much as we do!
~Jen


Name: Meg Manion Silliker

Business name: bluelime photography

Location: Boston/Newburyport Massachusetts

Website/blog: http://www.bluelimephoto.com





Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

Real life, real light with a vintage flare.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?

I always wanted to be a set designer on Broadway.


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started?

I launched my business two years ago,but have adored photography since high school. I grew up in front of my dad’s lens and my spark started as a child. My grandfather was an avid photographer with his own darkroom – sadly, I never had a chance to meet him but I know the seed was planted through him. Photography makes me feel close to my dad and his dad. I have boxes and boxes of slide film of my dad’s photography – he has a great eye.



What is your best post processing tip?

Lightroom changed my world.





What is your best tip for getting great lighting in photos?

I’m a natural light photog – I’ve been chasing light for years I even know when the sun sets daily (today the sun will set in Newburyport at 6:57pm!) – even on a cloudy day there’s light you just have to find it – an open field versus the canopy of trees. It’s there, just be creative and plan your shoot accordingly.





What does beautiful mean to you?


Looking in the mirror and smiling regardless of what a bad day it was.




Explain to us your dream vacation?

Paris. My camera. And CafĂ© au lait. (I also want to stay at Kate Winslet’s house in that movie with Cameron Diaz when they swapped homes – and of course after seeing Mama Mia I must go shoot in Greece – that light, that beautiful light!)




What type of sessions are your favorite (children, family, newborns....) and why?


I adore shooting couples. I love their connection with each other and once relaxed you can get some incredible feelings.




What was your biggest struggle in starting up?

Confidence. Standing on the edge and taking that leap. Once I did I have been enjoying the soaring/flying the bumps and the lows. But when I hear from a bride or a new mother that my photos brought tears to their eyes it’s all worth it.



What is your best marketing tool?


Past clients – word of mouth. Nothing like having a client recommend you – it’s the biggest compliment and best marketing tool there is.





How do you get your name out there?

I talk a lot!! Facebook has been an invaluable tool as well. I try to maintain my blog too but find I haven’t been very good in that arena. I went back to the first few days of my blog and enjoyed what I saw so I am going to get back to my own roots. I have a great passion for many things and I don’t want to lose myself along the way. And you never know who you’ll meet in line at the grocery store!




Do you think textures, sun-flare, vintage looking photos are a phase/fad that will fizzle out?

I have always been a believer of doing what makes your heart happy. I have a fondness of that vintage look and if it fizzles out in popularity, I don’t care – it makes me happy and that is what my photography is all about. I will always be true to me.


Do you ever have to say “no” to potential clients (because of a full workload?)



You can never be afraid to say no – especially if you have a full workload. Nobody can do it all. I would never want to feel stressed during a session. I know my limits and book accordingly. I hope my clients think I’m worth the wait.




Have you ever had a photo session bomb?

I might have thought a session bombed because of whatever circumstance existed and have second guessed myself but I’ve never had a client say they are disappointed. I am always the first to admit to a bad day, and if I really feel it was a rough session I am more than happy to do it all over again. A client’s happiness and satisfaction is what comes first.




Favorite print company?

I have had incredible results with WHCC and have recently added ProDPI to that mix with great results.




How heavily do you rely on editing as opposed to quality photography itself? Do you feel actions are genuinely increasing the artistic quality of photos or just dating them for the future?

No amount of post processing can fix a crappy image. It’s important to get it right in camera – you have to know what each setting will accomplish and then you can enjoy the emotion and drama you can get out of the image in post processing.



What is your take on “everyone thinks they are a photographer because they have a nice camera?”


I could never criticize someone’s joy. If it makes them happy, well who am I to say?!!!



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?

I’m a Nikon gal. Always have been. – D300. And lately it’s the 50mm. I always return to this lens. It’s like a great fitting pair of jeans. You put them on and you feel so good and comfy you can even throw on a pair of heels with them and your all set!


As a mom and photographer, how do you balance your life?

I’m still working on that so if anyone has found the secret please let me know. I know I don’t want to regret not spending time with Annie so she always comes first no matter what. Even while doing this interview I had to stop to jump on the bed with her. It’s kind of our thing.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

happy and secure.



What song inspires you? You know, the one that can lift your spirits no matter what?

Carly Simon - any song - any day - any time – any situation! She’s my girl!


What is the all time best book you've ever read?


So many, but what comes to mind is The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. She’s the kind of writer that paints the perfect picture with her words. You can smell the bread in the oven and taste the hot cup of tea – I love that kind of writing.


If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?

It’s an Annie explosion and for a virgo I am really unorganized!

We love you Meg! xoxo

14 comments:

  1. Ashlyn9/13/2010

    Beautiful work, Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful work! I love the couples feet on the couch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your life and work! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9/13/2010

    just wonderful!!!

    ~ Monet

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to get to know you guys a little better... this is soooo great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i LOVE the holiday! and loved kate winslet's house!!

    thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meg and all the maternal lens girls are my complete and total inspiration. They were my original mentors in the cafemom group as I leraned and grew! I still am awed and inspired by you Meg! I love the way your photos make me "feel"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky girl to be doing what you love. May your business, like your photos, shine on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love and admire Megs work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9/14/2010

    I love my Meg very much!!!

    Her Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9/14/2010

    Good for you Meggie, getting the attention that you deserve!
    Go Liddish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg--your spirit is shiny. Wonderful interview! We love our Meg!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie Manion9/15/2010

    I have always loved Meg's work. She is a true artist. I wish we were closer so she could photograph my boys. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I swear I posted a comment on here a few days ago. Let me try and remember what I said. Something like: I ♥ Meg, I've enjoyed watching our girls grow up side by side, yet so far away. I swear that Meg might very well be my long lost sister. Of course I worded it much more elegantly the first time around. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: