our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

9.17.2010

{low down, throw down with megan rogers}

i hope you all have enjoyed getting to know the TML ladies a bit better this week!
to top the week off we have the ever so lovely, megan rogers.
the first thing that comes to mind when i think about megan is her passion. she is passionate about her children and her family. she is passionate about natural birth. she is passionate about making the world a better place. she is a kind soul and ready and willing to give to whoever may need something...no matter what that something may be. she is a quiet person, but you will be sure to hear her loud and clear when she is standing up for something she believes in. she is a mother/friend with a heart of gold.
her photography is beautiful, full of life and she leaves touches of her passion in every photo.
we are so very lucky to have her as a part of our TML team!
we love you megan! xo

Name: Megan Rogers

Business names:
Trees and Bees Photography
Birth as Art
Red Barn Wedding Photography

Location: Topeka, Kansas, USA



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Photography that you can feel…emotional, real, and unposed.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I’m outspoken, I’m always willing to stand up for something that I believe in, something that I feel passionately about. Sometimes I think it is a curse. I can’t just sit back and say nothing when I feel somebody is being wronged or mistreated. I’ve been criticized for this on more than one occasion, and thanked for it also. People mistake this for being somebody who likes drama or somebody who is trying to stir things up. And honestly it couldn’t be farther from the truth. I do not like conflict. I’ve never been really angry at a person longer than a few hours. It really bothers me when I feel that somebody is angry with me. I am sensitive, I cry fairly easily…especially when I am pregnant. Which has been pretty much the last 4 years of my life.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
This is my fourth year in business. I’ve always had a love for it. Like Meg, I grew up in front of my father’s lens. Spent lots of time in his darkroom watching him develop prints, mostly of myself. I first dappled in photography in high school when I took a photography class. I borrowed my dad’s camera’s, learned how to work a camera, develop my own film and prints. Tried to get creative, think outside of the box, see things in a different light. I went to college, and photography was not offered unless you were an art major, which I was not, my degree is in psychology. Which ties into my photography, I capture people the way I see them. When my husband and I first met, we used to shoot things we found interesting on the weekends. Like ice on the power lines after a Kansas snowstorm. But it wasn’t until we were married, my daughter was about 9 months old, we had just moved back to Kansas, and I borrowed my dad’s D-SLR. It was my first experience with a camera other than a film camera, I was skeptical. I didn’t think things could be captured digitally the same way they were captured on film. Black and whites would never look the same. But with some practice it became like riding a bicycle again, fairly easy to pick back up. This is about the time I met Meg and Shannon. None of us were in business yet. We were honing our skills, practicing on our children, and eventually people started asking us to take their photos. They liked how we captured things. I jumped in feet first, I registered my business, got a tax ID and starting taking people’s photos for money. I remember being nervous the first time I took photos for a client, whom I had never met in person. They ordered a 20X24 too. I have definitely come a very long way since then. Improving each year, each season, each session.


If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?
It would be called Birth as Art, about a mom who naturally births her babies, the last one weighing in at 10 pounds 8 ounces (this is based on a true story you know). Who also equally enjoys photographing other people’s births as much as she loves actually giving birth to her own babies. Crazy some will say…but I wouldn’t have it any other way. And Jennifer Aniston would play my part.


What is your best post processing tip?
Learn how to batch edit in Lightroom, it frees up oodles of time.

Must have or favorite action?
Definitely Florabella’s Vintage Actions. Soft Urban is a staple of mine.


What is your best tip for getting great lighting in photos?
Simple, keep your back to the sun, but stay out of the sun. Find open shade if outdoors, or use window light from the north if indoors. And learn how to properly expose in camera, do not rely on post processing to correct this for you.


What does beautiful mean to you?
It’s a feeling you get. It’s something you feel when you see a young couple in love, or a special moment shared between a dad and his daughter, or the birth of a baby, or a bride coming down the aisle or the sight of the first blossoms in Spring. Real beauty stirs up emotion inside of you.

What type of sessions are your favorite (children, family, newborns....) and why? That’s a difficult question. It’s a toss-up between photographing a birth and a child’s first year photos. No wait…maybe engagement sessions, those are also some of my favorites. Okay, see why I need three separate businesses? All favorites, all very important rites of passage in a human’s life.


What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?
I shoot with a Nikon d300, I got it when it was brand new, when it was the coolest thing around. Of course it was only to be overshadowed the next time Nikon released their newest coolest camera, but it still does the trick. Only one lens, I love the 50mm 1.4 but I think I’d choose my 85mm 1.4.


How long is your average session? How many pics do you take vs how many you show your client?
My average session is right around 1 hour, not including weddings, birth, or newborns. I take around 200 photos, and I edit around 35 for the client to view in their gallery. This of course varies per session, but these are my averages I would say.


As a mom and photographer, how do you balance your life?
I stay at home during the day with my kids and play mommy, and stay up late at night when they are asleep in their beds and all is silent, editing photos. But I don’t think I could do it without my husband and my mom. I never feel guilty or worry about my children when I have to go shoot a client, because I know they are in good, loving hands.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
The mom of a 10 year old, 11 year old and 14 year old. Sounds like possibly in a psychiatric ward. j/k

What song inspires you? You know the one that can lift your spirits no matter what:Well the one that moves me the most is “Calling All Angels” by Jane Siberry. It is my son, Charlie’s song. The song I gave birth to him with, the song that friends and family played while he was having open heart surgery when he was two weeks old, and the song that I still cry to every time I hear it. But it was so fitting for him, I had no idea how meaningful it would become when I chose it as his birth song.



What is the all time best book you've ever read?
Tuesday’s With Morrie by Mitch Albom. It’s the kind of book that will change your life for the better. You cannot read that book without coming away a better person for it.


If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?
More than likely there would be Cheerios, raisins, or Goldfish on the floor, underneath Charlie’s highchair. There usually is. I sweep it up multiple times a day, but I usually miss one or two. And Marley would be playing with her Troy and Gabriella Barbie dolls. Lucy would be on a blanket on the floor, on her tummy, since she cannot stay off of her tummy after having learned how to roll over. And Charlie might very well be eating a Goldfish off of the floor or pushing the button on the back of Marley’s Barbie so that it plays a song from High School Musical. They’d all turn and look at you, for a brief moment. Charlie would probably say “Da Da” since that is what he says anytime anyone walks in the front door. And then they’d go about their happy little selves.



thanks again to all of you who read all about us!! we loved sharing ourselves with you and hope you liked it too! if you missed any, you can see them here- jen, meg, shannon and sarah

7 comments:

  1. I so wouldn't have you any other way, my dear. You are a dear friend and colleague. Great read and of course lots of eye candy!! *mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore all my TML sisters, but Megan you are my scarecrow (just like dorothy's).
    The one I would miss if I woke up and this wonderful journey we've been on was just a dream. I remember our friendship blossoming along with our photography and our December girls who are so much alike. You have always been there and I am so proud of your accomplishments - both professionally and personally. A talent I will always admire and a friend I will always cherish. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg, I've never had such a nice compliment! ♥
    Just like when I said you reminded me of Charlotte in Charlotte's Web. ; )
    Seriously, that means alot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have loved your work for a long time now :)...your photography is as real and soulful as you...wonderful interview!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So stunning and beautifully written! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love you Megan! xo

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: