our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

10.28.2010

{low down, throw down with Daniel Krieger}

It's not often that we get to have a guy on the blog, so this is an exciting day! We have, for your viewing and reading pleasure, NYC photographer Daniel Krieger throwing down with us today! He's funny, he's talented and his pictures are super cool...

photo by Cindy Loughridge


Name: Daniel Krieger
Business: Daniel Krieger Photography
Website/Blog:

www.danielkrieger.com
http://www.danielkrieger.com/NYC_Wedding_Photographer_Blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

I try to connect with my subjects and share the experience with them while creating a photograph.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?

I consider my sense of humor one of my greatest assets.

How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started?

I've been doing photography professionally for about the past 4 years. I started by taking my Nikon D70 out to lunch at my day job everyday, taking photos on the streets of NYC, trying to develop a style. People started hiring me for jobs here and there and it grew from that.


If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?

Getting High on ISO, the story of Daniel Krieger Photography. No that's stupid I don't know what the movie would be called. Seth Rogen would probably have to play me.



What is your best post processing tip?

Get the best image possible to start with, so you don't have to over process.


What is your best tip for getting great lighting in photos?

Study the way light hits things and how it comes across in your images. When inside watch for different color temperatures.. if there's sun light mixing with artificial lighting things sometimes look funky. Natural light is always the best.


What does beautiful mean to you?

Catching that moment of clarity or true emotion from a subject is beautiful.


If you could photograph anyone living or not, who would it be and why?

I always wanted to photograph Woody Allen. I grew up watching his films and admired his creativity and humor and love of New York City. He has an intensity in the photos I've seen of him that just transfer well into pictures.


Explain to us your dream vacation?

Traveling around Africa for a few months photographing people, landscapes, animals.


What type of sessions are your favorite (children, newborns, weddings, senior, other....) and why?

I really enjoy photographing weddings and doing portraits for editorial assignments. I like meeting interesting people and hanging out with them, photographing them in their workplace and experiencing what their lives are like even if its for a short time.


What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?

I use Nikon DSLRS and a bevy of lenses. I also use a Holga and a Hasselblad. My favorite lens is the 85mm 1.4 Nikon. It's a great piece of glass.


What is your most embarrassing moment?

Probably the stretch of my college years when I used to wear mickey mouse night shirts to class with corduroy pants.
And I used to wonder why I didn't have a girlfriend.

If you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice when you were starting out in photography, what would it be?

I would have myself start at an earlier age in photography. I'm very happy where I am now but I've only been in the game a few years now.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Running a studio with other photographers shooting for me. I think I make a good, fair boss and I have an eye for up-and-coming talented photographers when I see them.

What song inspires you? You know, the one that can lift your spirits no matter what?

Blinded by the Light - ELO


What is the all time best book you've ever read?

On The Road



If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?

The two best cats in the world and my new sweet couch and my lovely girlfriend.






What are your top tips for great marketing and getting your name out there?

Giving your card out to everyone you meet, and having a good card that people say "hey nice card!" Checking in with contacts and knocking on doors. If you want to make a living in photography you gotta be a hustler. I'm very happy where I am right now but watching extremely successful people I always notice how hard they work and how they rarely take breaks from the hustle.


Who is the first photographer that comes to mind and why?

Thomas Hawk. His dedication to his goals are inspiring. He is always out there shooting every single day. There are photographers who's actual work I enjoy viewing more but he's definitely one of my favorite photographers.


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word? achieve
What is your least favorite word? meta (its annoying to me when people say things are "meta")
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? people who are passionate about things.
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? being told you can't take photos somewhere always sucks.
What sound or noise do you love? the shutter of my Hasselblad.
What sound or noise do you hate? when people lay on their car horn in traffic.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? probably the F word.
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Movie Director.
What profession would you not like to do? manual labor ain't my thing..so anything that falls into that category.
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I'd love if God high fived me and we immediately went golfing at Augusta and smoked really good cuban cigars.. That would be cool.

Thanks for playing, Daniel! It was a pleasure to have you on TML!!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, he is fantastic. His photography is beautiful but as a person, he looks amazing. Dedicated and talented. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. He's quite funny. But I've never heard the term "meta" dropped in a sentence before. Maybe I'm hanging around the wrong crowd LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree - Maybe we have to switch the crowds we're hanging with :)

    Thanks for interviewing me ladies, it was fun answering these questions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love learning about new amazing photographers.
    Daniel, your work is amazing! So refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa10/28/2010

    Gorgeous work and such a funny interview. How fun to add another male perspective to the batch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kacey C.10/28/2010

    The food photography is super cool!! Daniel, you are truly blessed with mad skills!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Daniel is even more charming in real life.

    Nice interview and the ELO song cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure I'm even cool enough to read the interview...Mickey Mouse night shirts notwithstanding...

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10/28/2010

    Way to go ladies on getting a talented and photographer for the blog. What a sexy photo of him. Great photo of the wrinkly faced man drinking. Wish I had dan shoot my first two weddings. Maybe the marriages would have lasted longer with better photographs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love his work! The one of the older gentleman having a drink is hilarious! I'd frame that and hang it in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE everything about you Mr Krieger!!! And I agree with the shot of the gentleman with the drink in hand.... I laughed out loud when I saw that! That one and the shot of the bride with the beautiful henna and bracelets are simply phenomenal. I can't believe you have only been doing this for 4 yrs....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Smoothest Dude Alive. Thanks for the mention in your interview Smoothie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing work! Loving the real, raw feel. Interesting interview too, thank you for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your pictures! I could look at them all day, they are amazing! Especially love your portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11/03/2010

    Hi Dan, Just viewed your interview and I am now "eating crow"! I loved the photos and all the comments you made -plus I appreciate the need you satisfied when you chose ART! LOVE YOU! GUESS WHO

    ReplyDelete
  17. What amazing work by Daniel Krieger! I especially am in awe over the Indian Sari. Of course they are all amazing and inspiring! Thank you for sharing Daniel!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: