our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

10.14.2010

{low down, throw down with Krissy Allori}

We have a treat for you today! Krissy's work is crisp, clean and refreshing and we are so excited to be featuring her today!
Thanks Krissy!





Name: Krissy Allori

Business name: Krissy Allori Photography

Location: Portland, Oregon

Website/blog: www.krissyallori.com

www.krissyallori.com/blog




Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

My photography tells a story through personality and connection.




What's one thing that everyone should know about you?

That I’m offering a BIG wedding promo and am still looking for two couples! For my promo, I’m offering half off any of my wedding collections and one of the five lucky couples will win their photography for FREE! Looking for couples in Portland (preferred) as well as Southern California, Seattle and San Francisco. Promo details can be seen here: http://krissyallori.com/wedding_promo.pdf.


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started?

I’ve been doing photography for a couple years now. I got started because I wanted to be able to take better pictures of my kids. I found a couple online photography forums and soaked up as much information as I could every single day. I learned how to shoot in manual, understand light, composition and post processing. It immediately became not only a passion, but an obsession, and I love it just as much today as I did the very first time I got my first “wow” photo.




If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?

This was a tough one to answer. I’ve probably thought more about this question than any of the others! First of all, there would never be a movie about my life because I’m really not that interesting, but if there was, it would be called “lucky girl”. Every time I get a new piece of photography equipment, my husband says “lucky girl”, and I really am. I have a wonderful family, there isn’t a word to describe how incredible my kids are, I love where I live, and I’m so fortunate to have found photography. There are two actresses that I would recommend to play me. The main reason for the two is because they are the only actresses I’ve ever been told I look like: Sarah Michelle Gellar or Sarah Chalke (she played Elliot on Scrubs).



What is your best post processing tip?

Stay organized and get a solid work flow down.



What is your best tip for getting great lighting in photos?

I adore backlight. The best way that I achieve gorgeous backlight is to position my subject with their back to the light. I try to get nice rim lighting around them without any bright spots on their skin. The sun has to be reasonably low in the sky and often works best if the light is being filtered by some trees, especially if the sun is in the shot. Lastly, I try to have something dark behind my subject (a building, greenery, etc.) – if its open sky, you often lose that amazing glow.


What does beautiful mean to you?

To me, beautiful means connection. Beauty is more than what you see, its what you feel. That is what I try to capture with my photography, and being able to grab hold of that connection is what makes my clients feel beautiful.



If you could photograph anyone living or not, who would it be and why?

My grandmother. I would have loved to have had really nice photos of her to give to my grandpa, my mom, and for my kids to see since they never got to meet her.


Explain to us your dream vacation?

My dream vacation would take place in a gorgeous home in Hawaii on a private beach. The vacation would last at least three months. Different groups of friends and family would come visit us a week at a time, with a couple days to ourselves in between visitors. We would eat tons of delicious food and not put on a single pound. We would never run out of money. We’d spend all day out in the sun, playing in the sand, swimming, scuba diving, and the kids would actually take a nap every day (this is, after all, my dream vacation, right?). And at the end of the vacation I would have so many awesome photos that I would have to make a different album for each week.



What type of sessions are your favorite (children, newborns, weddings, senior....) and why?


Families because:


Variety - You can get so many different photos with a family; all together, mom & dad alone, individual shots, mom with kids, dad with kids, you get the picture. I thrive on variety.


Connection - There are few things better in photography than getting that shot where you can just feel the love.


It's personal - I've always wanted a good family photo of my own family. Well, before I got into photography, I dreamed of having just one good family photo and it was so hard to get. I just assume everyone else feels the same way I do, so I try my best to get as many jaw dropping gorgeous photos as I can with every session that would each be worthy of a HUGE canvas.



Seniors because:


They're fun.


They actually look at the camera and follow direction (unlike kids under 3.)


Every kid that age needs to feel beautiful.



Weddings because:


I love to tell a story with my photography and what better story is there than someone's wedding?


I just love weddings. The excitement, the dress, the details, the planning, the family, and of course, the food.


I know and understand that a couple's wedding is a day they will forever cherish and I love being able to provide a service that will provide memories for the rest of their lives.





What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?

I shoot with a Nikon D700. At the moment I only have two lenses (both Nikon): 105mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.4. I almost always use the 105mm macro. The only time I use the 50mm is when space is tight. If I only had one lens to use I’m guessing it would be the 24-70mm f/2.8 (even though I don’t have it) because its just a good all around lens (so I’ve heard). I just got the go ahead from the hubby last night to get the 24mm f/1.4. I cannot wait to start shooting with a wide angle prime! Now I just need to convince him to let me buy the 70-200mm f/2.8 because that’s next on my list.


What is your most embarrassing moment?

Like I would publish that on the internet. :)





If you could go back and give yourself one piece of advice when you were starting out in photography, what would it be?

Don’t go prop crazy because you’ll get sick of each prop after you’ve used it only once.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Still in Portland, watching my kids grow, and hopefully running a very successful photography business.


What song inspires you? You know, the one that can lift your spirits no matter what?

Not sure why but the first song that popped into my head was “Solsbury Hill” by Peter Gabriel. No reason why, but I can’t hear it without turning the music up real loud.




What is the all time best book you've ever read?

We’re Going On A Bear Hunt. My three year old had it memorized and watching her recite the entire story with that animated little face of hers may end up being one of my all time favorite memories.


If we surprised you at your house today, what would be the first thing we would notice?

Toys on the floor.




What are your top tips for great marketing and getting your name out there?

1. When you’re building your business, stay busy. If you don’t having paying clients knocking down your door, take some photos of some friends and post regularly on your blog.

2. Word of mouth is your best friend.

3. Facebook is your next best friend.

4. Work on your SEO. Optimize your splash page. Comment frequently on other blogs and always leave your web address. I have no idea what I did to get there, but I’m on page 1 if you do a google search for “Portland family photographer” or “Portland high school senior photographer.”


Who is the first photographer that comes to mind and why?

Lisa Lucky. From the first moment I saw her photos, I was in love. I adore her processing, the way she uses light, her perspective – everything. I would like to think my style is similar because she has been such an inspiration to me, but I would never go so far as to make the comparison. I bow down to her! :)



And lastly.....when we started The Maternal Lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word? love

What is your least favorite word? I honestly can’t think of one.

What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? My kids

What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Creatively, one bad experience or session will leave me feeling like a failure.

What sound or noise do you love? I love to listen to my kids play when they don’t know I’m listening.

What sound or noise do you hate? Long electric guitar solos.

What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Its probably not appropriate to say.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Filthy rich lottery winning stay-at-home soccer mom.

What profession would you not like to do? Mover. I think having to pack up your own stuff and move to another house is the worst… I can’t imagine doing it for other people every single day.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? “Welcome! It’s the year 2088. You’ve lived an amazing 110 years.”

53 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for featuring me on your amazing blog! What a fantastic opportunity. Much appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krissy - You are such a Rockstar! Love your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Krissy Allori and I loved this low down, throw down! Krissy is such an inspiration! btw, your comment to the pearly gates questions was a great ending to this post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post!! Your answers are entertaining and inspiring. And your images give me goose bumps. I'm a huge fan of yours Krissy - how does it feel that for some JSO photographers, you're their Lisa Lucky??!! :)

    Thanks Maternal Lens for featuring another FABULOUS photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krissy, I adore your work and really loved reading more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Krissy's work and was so happy to see her featured on TML!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, woops on the above comment. Let me try again! I love Krissy's work and her willingness to share her knowledge. She is an awesome photog and person! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally enjoyed reading this! I'm a huge fan of yours Krissy. I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we love you Krissy!! She's such an inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WTG Krissy! Well deserved feature- you are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great interview Krissy, you are such an inspiration and wonderful person on top of that!! Loved this! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Krissy is on e of the most giving, genuine, and talented women that I know. You could not have picked a better person to showcase. <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. So I have Just found this blog, I am I so excited! Krissy, I love your work and the thoughts you had on it. I look forward to following this more closely!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun to read these! Way to go Krissy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an AWESOME interview with an AWESOME photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the tips too! I hope they work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing. It is always great to read about other photographers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am a huge fan of Krissy's work!! She can photograph families like no other!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your work Krissy! One that sticks out in my mind, is that wedding you did with the blue classic car. Just mindblowing-ly amazing. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazingly beautiful work! And I LOVE her dream vacation...sounds like a perfect vacation to me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So glad that you picked her to feature. So inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your work is so amazing Krissy! That was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very impressive interview. I'm so proud of you. You've created a professional, creative and thriving photography business.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay Krissy! Great article! Your work is beautiful.

    I LOVEEEEEEEEEE the pics you did of my family! You are so awesome, girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. christine10/14/2010

    amazing photographer! krissy, you are so easy to work with and you capture the perfect moments!! loved being able to read the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks, everyone! I love reading everyone's comments! Especially the one from my mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, first off, she's in Portland, so of COURSE I'm going to love her. Second, her images are just breathtaking. Absolutely gorgeous. And THEN every single word she says (okay, typed) is spot on? Love it!

    I have a new photographer to stalk!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love your work thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great stuff, Krissy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Krissy, YOU inspire me. I'm constantly thinking of the lovely family session you did in Cali. Awesome! And, of course, your fabulous wedding images.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love your work Krissy! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Holly (McDonald) Gardner10/14/2010

    Wow Krissy! Not only are you GORGEOUS but you take amazingly gorgeous photos! I wish we lived near you. I really appriciate your work as I have always had an interest in photography but never looked into it. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Loved reading every word! I like that I can say I knew you when. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Anonymous10/14/2010

    Krissy, you are amazing and what an opportunity to be recognized on here! We recommend everyone to use you and just reading your answers everyone can see how great you are!! Of course when they look at the photos they have to love you even more!! CONGRATS on this and we know your 10 year goal will happen!! =)
    Whitney & John and boys

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thank you so much you guys! Everyone has been so sweet. I really appreciate all the comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Lori Lehman10/14/2010

    of course you were featured! you are an awesome photographer and i am proud to say you took our photos! thank you and congrats

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great interview! I so totally relate to you, Krissy... especially loved the 3 month vacation and the desire to be a lottery ticket winner/stay at home soccer mom :) haha. oh ya, and all that about the photography. i'm so obsessed, but still not rocking the post process the way I'd like to. i live it and breath it though...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your simplicity is truly elegant! I love your focus on the detail and light. Remarkable!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your work is soo clean and sharp, love it, keep up the good work x

    ReplyDelete
  42. You are one of my favourite photographer,I really very often look on you blog,it´s for me fantastic inspiration!!!I wish you a lot succsess in you work(and life too)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Again, thank you all so much. I am truly humbled.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Fantastic work!!! and a great interview! :) We love all of your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  45. love love love it! thanks for sharing your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Krissy Allori is one fantastic photographer. Her understanding of lighting and the connection she captures really make her a stand out. She rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  47. We love you Krissy...you are an amazing photographer...but more importantly an amazing person!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Anonymous3/19/2013

    This is my first time visit at here and i am actually impressed to read everthing
    at single place.

    Check out my blog post more Information

    ReplyDelete
  50. Anonymous3/19/2013

    all the time i used to read smaller content which also clear their motive,
    and that is also happening with this piece of writing which I am reading at this time.


    Here is my site: teen life coach in East Rand

    ReplyDelete
  51. Anonymous3/19/2013

    Wow, this paragraph is nice, my sister is analyzing
    such things, so I am going to convey her.

    my blog post: coaching KwaZulu Natal

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: