our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

1.27.2011

low down, throw down with katelyn james

every time i look at katelyn's pictures, i feel like they take me to another place. i literally want to dive through my computer screen into her photos. i want to place myself in the moment she captured. be there with my husband looking crazy in love.

each and every shot of hers looks like it was taken from the cover of a magazine.
classic, beautiful, crisp and full of emotion. i wholeheartedly adore all she does!!!

i am so excited to introduce to you katelyn james!!!!



Name:
Katelyn James
Business name: Katelyn James Photography
Location: Richmond, VA
Website/blog: www.katelynjamesblog.com

Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
My photography is classic and yet modern, elegant but shabby/chic and timeless.

What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
That I love cereal, my husband and my faith in Jesus Christ is the most important thing in my life!



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I have been officially in the wedding photography industry for two and 1/2 years and I wish I had a quick and easy "how I started" story but it was pretty much an accident. I was asked to second shoot a wedding in June 2008 (I had being shooting with an SLR for two years prior) and I thought it was ok but wasn't crazy about it. Then I continued 2nd shooting and was asked to shoot my first wedding solo! Ah!! I bought a camera (with intentions to sell it after the wedding) and a new lens and I shot the wedding........and LOVED it. It was "my thing" and I fell in love with my new business.

What change are you looking most forward to in 2011...both professionally and personally?
Being a MARRIED business woman, sharing my dreams and my new life with my new husband, shooting with a NEW perspective on weddings since I have actually been a bride! I'm also looking forward to hosting a couple workshops and celebrating with all of my 2011 couples on their wedding day!

When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?
Well, I don't shoot pictures JUST for me very often... I should! When I do, it's normally of architecture! I love me some old doors, windows, walls, etc!



If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:
I would put that toward my 35mm 1.4 lens that I've been wanting for a long while!!

Where do you go to find inspiration?:
Anything old, vintage and rustic... I find inspiration in details and through LOVE! You can read about that here: http://katelynjames.com/#/my-inspiration---katelyn-james-photography/

What is your best post processing tip?
Do NOT over-do it. Over editing is such a common mistake!



What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?
To be absolutely 100% professional in every area of your business and be YOURSELF... you will succeed if you do these two things. Being YOU through your branding and business sets you a part from others!

What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?
The Bedroom is toupe and light blue because it was the perfect match for our decor from Crate and Barrel! I actually JUST blogged about our bedroom REDO! Fun fun! View it here: http://katelynjamesblog.com/home-decorating-before-and-after-master-bedroom/



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: I use a Canon 5D MarkII and my all time fav lens is my 50 1.2!

Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?
Ha! No real hidden talent but I do sing and I tried out for American Idol....didn't go far at all... but that obviously wasn't my career path!


What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted? A portrait session in TN of all places! I was SO nervous and it turned on just ok. The client was thrilled but I knew I had a ton of learning to do!

What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?
Ohh goodness! There is definitely no favorite song but I love me some gospel music!!!



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
I'm wishing for a HUGE snow storm, a 35 1.4 lens and new black boots:)

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): Best advice in life : To not give up meeting together...basically, don't give up spending time with people you love because fellowship is a gift. I can be a work-a-holic and being reminded to fellowship with friends and family keeps my life balanced. Best advice in business : To treat every client as if he/she is my only client.... works every time:)



If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
Sleep in, make waffles, walk around the mall with my husband, take a nap, go to Cheesecake Factory for a dinner date!

When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?
I think I'm most proud that I actually finished school! Whew! I was so busy after starting the business that I had no motivation to finish college. Looking back, I'm amazed that I finished college, continued to grow the business and planned my wedding (for 400 people! yikes!).



How do you get a connection between you and your client?
I'm personable. Some photographers have formal emails that they send out and are very stoic and I choose not to be. I show my personality on my blog, through my website and through my communication with my clients. My clients should feel like they know me if they actively follow the blog, that is my goal.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
A mom, shooting 10 weddings a year, enjoying life and hopefully teaching other photographers some!



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word?
Aqua... it's fun to say!

What is your least favorite word?
Ummm... probably "bologna", so gross and I dislike words that I always spell wrong...like "privilege" and "obnoxious"

What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Creatively, I love design... I love wedding magazines that are done WELL, like Southern Weddings and Real Simple Wedding magazine. Spiritually, I love seeing the Lord use different gifts in people, especially in a music setting. Emotionally, I love it when people are REAL and you walk away from a conversation feeling like you got to know them on a deeper level. REAL friendships are a must!

What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Creatively, a turn off would be seeing more of the same thing over and over again! Spiritually, I dislike it when the church gets stuck in too much tradition and won't try new things because of that. Emotionally, I dislike surface level relationships.

What sound or noise do you love?
Rain

What sound or noise do you hate?
The electric knife that cuts the Turkey for Thanksgiving... it makes an AWFUL noise.

What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad?
DANG IT!

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Wedding Design

What profession would you not like to do?
Anything medical!

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Heaven definitely exists and I would love to see the Lord face to face and hear Him sell, Well done KK, my good and faithful servant... and yes, I think God uses nicknames.





thank you so much katelyn!!

6 comments:

  1. Kelly Rowland1/27/2011

    Beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. katelyn your images are so beautiful and timeless. adore your style - thanks so much for being a part of TML! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa1/27/2011

    STUNNING photography. I also love how personable your interview is. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie Bellson1/27/2011

    It's my favorite day of the week! I love the low down, throw downs.
    Katelyn, your work is new to me and I am in total awe. Gorgeous, gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work! May the Lord continue to bless you with creativity. Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading your interview.

    Elizabeth Diaz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shellie1/27/2011

    Beautiful work, Katelyn. Thank you for sharing a little bit about you. God is good!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: