our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

2.03.2011

low down, throw down with amanda cutler....

oh, baby!!
amanda of pumpkin pie photography has a way with those babies!!

her pictures make me smile, giggle, sigh....and, lets be honest, make me want to have a million more little babies!!!

her use of props and color compliment each newborn so well. and the more simple photos are completely beautiful, timeless and so pure. i am always so in love with all of her sessions. amazing work!!

i'm thrilled to introduce you to amanda cutler, pumpkin pie photography.....




Name: Amanda Cutler
Business name: Pumpkin Pie Photography
Location: Prosper, Texas (Near Dallas)
Website/blog: www.pumpkinpiephotography.com, sadly no blog YET, but find me on Facebook at pumpkin pie photography



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Oh gosh, that’s hard… but maybe my new tagline: “Sweetly Unique”. But I always hope – constantly growing and continually improving.


What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
That I am uncompromising and don’t settle. I don’t take shortcuts and believe that success is the product of hard work and determination. And that through Christ, all things are possible.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I have been in business two years now and honestly it started from wonderful friends and family urging me to finally make it official!


If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? Geesh, another tough one! I had to poll Facebook for the actress (ha!). My husband immediately said Sandra Bullock and friends are leaning towards Amy Adams – definitely someone strong and independent with a little bit of sass and spunk! And for the title… probably “The Road Less Traveled”.



What change are you looking most forward to in 2011...both professionally and personally? Honestly, I’m taking a bit of a step back from sessions this year. I need to catch up on business stuff like a new website, a blog, some other career goals I have for myself… and most importantly, spending some much needed downtime with my family and friends. It is my goal to learn how to balance personal and business this year – fingers crossed! This profession is so fun, creative, rewarding, overwhelming – it’s really hard not to let it take over your entire life… or at least for me it has been a struggle!


When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?

Well, I love taking pictures of my two boys (ages 3 and 9)… but really, every session that I take is for me I think. Is that bad? I try to stretch myself with every session and be creative. If I don’t feel like a session is for me or will provide me with the challenge or opportunity to really make it mine, then I will turn it down. I want to shoot what I love…


If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:
New camera, new camera! My husband would say more shoes or a purse, but don’t listen to him!


Where do you go to find inspiration?:
Really, a cool prop provides great inspiration, or a palette of colors, or a fab location! And definitely that family and their style or interaction is a huge inspiration and can really guide your session – that’s why I love laid back families that are up for anything. Stressed out Dads totally stress me out – makes me want to carry an open bar in my trunk! Ha!



What is your best post processing tip?

To get your SOOC images the best they can possibly be so you don’t have to edit as much, and when you do edit – don’t over-edit!


What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?

That just because photography is your hobby, that doesn’t mean you are ready to go into business. This is a business just like any other and should be run professionally and for a profit. Yes, it is creative and fun, but it is hours of hard work, sweat and tears just like building any other company. But if you are willing to work hard, learn how to be a true professional photographer, then it’s an incredibly rewarding profession!



What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?

Ugh, it’s just a boring tan color now, but it’s textured and ready for a pretty rich color when I have the time. And my bathroom is actually wallpapered in a really pretty, textured damask design. I used to be an Interior Decorator, so doing pretty stuff in the house is so much fun!


What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: Well, I am actually getting ready to upgrade my camera next week! I am still shooting with a Canon 50D and shoot with a 50mm 1.2 lens. But I will be upgrading to either the Canon 5D Mark II or I may jump ship and get the Nikon D700. Can I say this is a really tough decision! HELP! I think choosing the man I was going to marry was an easier choice…. ;)



Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?

Nope, I’m so plain vanilla, not a lick of talent. Stupid human tricks? Hmmm… I can dance like a white girl like nobody’s business! But I do have a really good memory – for all things important but mostly things very unimportant – like I have a ridiculous amount of movie trivia in my head… I am extremely good at movie names, actors, movie quotes… I know, totally useless!


What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted? You know, I don’t remember being nervous but I’m sure I was… but I remember it turning out so much better than I expected. It helped that I had two really great subjects – a precious mother and son, that are still sweet supporters of mine.



What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?
I LOVE, LOVE all music! Not sure that I have a favorite song of all time, but my favorite bands are: Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, The All American Rejects, Metallica, Sister Hazel, Green Day, Eve 6, Lifehouse, Pink … the list could go on and on…


What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
Well, the top of my unrealistic wish list would be to build a studio… but in the real world – that new camera and some lenses! Did I mention this profession ain’t cheap?!?


Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): I don’t know if it’s really advice, but it’s a saying that has stuck with me for years: “How you act is who you want to be; but how you react is who you are.” And also that life isn’t fair; and whoever told you that it would be? In fact, God promises that life will be painful and difficult… but a perfect Eternity – I can make it through a temporary world for that!




If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
Oooooohhhh… It would probably start with my boys piling in bed with us for snuggling and cartoons, then we’d go have a family breakfast and Mom would take off for a massage, haircut, then some major shopping… and then call the girlfriends for a yummy dinner and of course a movie (increase that useless movie trivia). Oh, and we may have to sneak in a board game somewhere – I love board games, I’ve been told I’m a wee bit competitive. ;)


When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?
That although my road has been difficult and my choices have not been easy to make, I have always made those difficult choices and never let my circumstances in life define who I am or who I can become. Never blame your present or your future on your past. We are all capable of doing good, doing right, doing our best – there are no excuses, only fuel to my fire!



How do you get a connection between you and your client?

I’m just laid back, no real formalities. And most of my clients are referrals so we already kind of feel like we know each other right out of the gate.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Probably doing more commercial work, fashion photography… and I’d love to have a partner… there’s not much better than a great team! And personally I’d love to be traveling more and maybe I will lose these 10 pounds by then too!



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word? Hmmm… I don’t know that I have a favorite word, but lots of goofy favorite phrases – far too many to share. Find me on Facebook, you’ll be sick of my fav phrases in no time. ;)
What is your least favorite word? Forgive me, but “dookey”. Can’t stand that word and my husband thinks it’s hilarious and fits it into conversation as much as possible.
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Beautiful light, a willing subject, good music, amazing photographers, the Word of God… and great times with my hubby, family and friends.
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Rude people, uptight subjects, people that think they know everything… don’t they know that I know everything?!?
What sound or noise do you love? Ummm… the UPS truck! LOL!
What sound or noise do you hate? The friggin’ alarm clock! Boo for mornings!
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Whatever, I’m done.
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? An actress.
What profession would you not like to do? An accountant (I’ll leave that to my hubby).
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? I have no doubt that Heaven does exist…. And I’d simply like to hear “Welcome home, my child” and get a big hug! Can’t wait!

9 comments:

  1. amanda - such beautiful images!! oh and being a nikon gal - go for the d700!! thanks for being a part of TML xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madolyn Locke2/03/2011

    Absolutely beautiful pictures.

    And a special 'bravo' for the first (and only!) dad-without-a-shirt newborn picture that I have ever seen that didn't creep me out. Yours is gorgeous & so sweet!

    And I'll put a vote in for the D700 too. I'm a Nikon girl myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to second Meg's comment... NIKON D700!!!! I love mine! It's worth the price tag!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am new to the The Maternal Lens but I absolutely loved this post and I love Amanda's work and words! Such a beautiful post!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely BRILLIANT work! ...and I'm voting that you get the 5D Mark 11 :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful work - and I am a Nikon girl with a D700, but if you are used to shooting Canon - why switch? So many of my photog friends shoot Canon 5D Mark II and their work is a-maze! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! and I'm totally on board for the D700- you know I love mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2/07/2011

    Love your work. I say go for the Canon.
    What is the background to the picture of the green grass and pink flowers? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. im a really big fan of the photography here. its really great to see.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: