our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

2.24.2011

{low down, throw down} with Amanda K

We have a treat for you today! The lovely Amanda K is sharing a little bit about herself with us and you're going to love her! Amanda's work is peaceful and serene and she works the light like nobody's business! Feast your eyes on her beautiful images and meet Amanda K...



(image by Simply Rosie)


Name: Amanda K

Business name: Amanda K Photography
Location: Pacific Northwest (Oregon)
Website/blog: www.amandakphotoart.com

Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
My style is fine art & lifestyle portraiture.





What's one thing that everyone should know about you?
I consider myself an artisan; my dream is to be an artist.


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started?
I have been in the business of photography for about 6 years now. The story of how I started is long and emotional. :) You can read my BIO on the new blogsite if you're "truly" interested. :)





LOVING the new blog/look! What prompted the change and, seriously, how much do you love it?!?
Thank you!!! As a creative individual, my "style" is constantly evolving. In this sea of amazing photographers, it's vital to find your own brand. As we grow, we figure out what we are truly passionate about. Weddings and high school seniors are by far my favorite. I wanted my new site to appeal to the couture bride and senior; while still keeping that familiar Amanda K look.





What change are you looking most forward to in 2011...both professionally and personally?
Very thought evoking question! Professionally speaking, I am looking forward to broadening my horizons both physically and artistically. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing my son graduate from high school, and begin his journey at the U of O. Nothing is more gratifying to me than to see my children succeed.

When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?
I'll be honest, I don't do this enough. :) When I do, it's always of the important people in my life. I am not one to go out and shoot "details" of things..I am more about "looking at the big picture" kind of gal. There's more of story there. Someday, when I am gone, I want people to look at my work and see life, love and laughter...not a cool piece of vintage furniture.

If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?
Do I have to be honest?? LOL I would save it towards gear, and possibly buy a pair of shoes. (ok, definitely shoes.)


Where do you go to find inspiration?
I find inspiration from every angle. I am inspired by pondering what obstacles I have overcome. I am inspired by watching the masters of today and studying the masters of yesterday. I am inspired by God's word. I also draw inspiration from movies, magazines, catalogs, and music. Most of all, the LIGHT!

When processing your photos, what is the best trick/tip you've learned?
LESS IS MORE. The healing brush is my friend.

What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?
"Be yourself; everyone else is taken." Oscar Wilde





What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?
My bedroom walls are a warm ecru. It goes with everything! My bathroom is a pale yellow. (yellow is my favorite color)

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?
I shoot with the Canon 5D and 5D Mark II. I shoot with several lenses, and it would be tough to narrow it down to only one. My favorite portrait lens is the 85 1.2L , but if I could only have ONE, it would be the 35mm 1.4L.

What session idea are you dying to do, but just don't know how to pull it off?
That's top secret!!! No, my DREAM session would be to shoot Taylor Swifts wedding. Good luck right!?




Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?
HA HA!! I can sing "Someday My Prince Will Come" exactly like Snow White. LOL My girls ALWAYS try to make me do it in front of people. I HATE DOING it. So, don't ask. LOL

What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
Great question! I was VERY nervous!!! It was with a 3 year old little girl who DID not want anything to do with me. We re-shot the session 3 times. It was a GREAT learning experience for me...I have GREAT respect for the children photographers out there!




What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?
I love Acoustic, Folk, (Jack Johnson) , classic rock, 80's, christian rock, and some current pop. "I feel good" by James Brown. FAVE.

What is at the top of your wish list right now?
The Mac Book Air.

Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):
I can honestly say, the loving words of my mother are what has been the driving force behind my life. Having someone truly believe in you, encourage you in all the right areas (spiritually) is vital to my personal success. While it's SO important to be encouraged, it's even more important to be critiqued. Zac Arias is a master photographer that I truly admire, and he will critiques photographers that send in their work. You can't grow unless your being shown where you are lacking.



If you could travel to anywhere in the world to photograph it, where would it be?
Tuscany, Austria, and Greece.

When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?
My children. They still love me in spite of my many flaws.

How do you get a connection between you and your client(s)?
Getting them to talk about themselves is key!! Being authentic and down to earth. Being truly interested in learning about their lives. Going the extra mile from first meeting to final delivery.



What do you find that you still struggle with when it comes to photography?
Artificial lighting is my nemesis. I still have yet to be completely happy with my reception lighting.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I have no idea. Life for me has proven that it can be forever changed in an instant. I just trust God and take it one day at a time.




And lastly.....when we started The Maternal Lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Fabulous
What is your least favorite word? Sick (when used in place of AWESOME)
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Amazing light at a session, prayer and devotions, music.
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Winter, silence, the news.
What sound or noise do you love? The cork pop of a champagne bottle!!!
What sound or noise do you hate? Anything repetitive..oh and RAP music.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? I don't say, I slam doors and I clean feverishly.
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Videography
What profession would you not like to do? Dentistry
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Well done, good and faithful servant."


Amanda, thanks for playing! xoxo

11 comments:

  1. Elisabeth Patterson2/24/2011

    I enjoyed reading about Amanda K :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. angela deldin2/24/2011

    Amanda sounds like a fabulous woman - thank you for sharing her with us and her beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh beautiful! I am just amazed! Such beautiful work, especially considering she is in Portland! Her light is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great interview and beautiful, inspiring photography! thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was wonderful. I love the fishing photo - sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love her work! Stunning images posted on here too ;)

    It was fun getting to know you, Amanda :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE her work! Truly artistic, simple, and fresh! been a long time fan!!! Awesome to see Amanda featured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have followed Amanda's work for several years... so great to see her featured!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. amanda...i want to be you when i grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you SO much for having me, and for all your kind comments!! Seriously, you made my week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Amanda K, she is a true inspiration!!!!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: