our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

2.09.2011

low down, throw down with shannon sewell...

today was like christmas morning for me!
i love, love, love and adore (did i say love????) shannon sewell and her work SO much.
i was like a little kid last night in anticipation of her being featured today.

her style, her ideas, her photography...her!
i just want to be a little birdie on her shoulder :)

enough of me babbling...let's get to the amazing shannon sewell!!!!!!




Name: Shannon Sewell
Business name: Shannon Sewell
Location: Portland OR
Website/blog: www.shannonsewell.com

Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
My photography is an excuse to be a kid again... it's all about fun & imagination.




What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
i am a perfectionist, a control freak & overprotective but somehow come off calm, cool & collected (most of the time) ;)

How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
5 yrs... a friend (& photographer) came over to my house and saw my work. She must have seen some potential because she took me under her wing & got me started on this amazing journey.





If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? oh geez... i have no idea for a title. it would definitely have sarcastic humor and make you cry at least once ;) i get that i look like wynona ryder. plus she seems quiet & introverted so i think she could pull me off quite easy (not to mention it'd get me one degree separation from Johnny Depp!!)

What change are you looking most forward to in 2011...both professionally and personally? simplifying... my house, my work, my life- everything :)






When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?
my kids. having fabulous pictures of this entire stage of my life is why i do what i do.

If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:
pack up & head out. i love to travel... my kids love to travel... it'd be the perfect excuse!




Where do you go to find inspiration?:
i am always being inspired... talking to other creatives, strolling the antique mall, perusing magazines, craft time with the kids... it's every direction i turn.





What is your best post processing tip?
keep it simple. a) it cuts post processing time b) its easier to keep a consistent look c) there's a lot less chance you'll cringe when you look back 5 yrs from now ;)

What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?
do what's right for YOU. if you aren't passionate and willing to sell who you are it will just be another job (an expensive, time consuming one at that).




What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?
everything is white... we are between houses so it's as is. although i am a white canvas kinda girl anyway... i love the clean look and the way all the cool decor pops off of it.

What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?: i shoot canon and all prime lenses. my go to is my 85 1.2... i could easily leave everything else behind.




I love how you incorporate "themes" into so many of your sessions. Where do you find the ideas? And are clients always up for your ideas? i find inspiration EVERYWHERE: movies, books, out shopping, design blogs... just daily life & taking notice of the world around me is more inspiration than i could ever use up. most of my clients come to me because of my style... if they seem unsure i am not above begging & bribing ;)

Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?
i can shake my eyeballs... like crazy, freaky wiggle them back & forth. not attractive so please don't ask me to do it- ha!




What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted? it was for a friend. my naivety was my saving grace- i LOVED it! looking back though... yeah- i owe them a free session ;)




What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?
i love it ALL. music can change my mood in an instant so i pick whatever mood i want!

What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
i am trying to put together a group mentoring trip in france & england this fall... european vacation!!




Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general): be true to yourself...

If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do? road trip! beach... mountains... new scenery always makes me feel good :)




When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?
my kids. i am in awe that such funny, smart, creative little things actually came out of me!

How do you get a connection between you and your client?
i try to make sure that the client and i are a good fit before we ever schedule an appointment. liking my style is only a small part of it... i want to love my clients and have them love me in return. you can have the best styling & cutest kids around... if you aren't capturing real moments it all falls flat.



Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
i have no idea! i can't even plan a year ahead- haha when i see myself in the future, i see things very much how they are now- i just love being a mom & having this amazing opportunity to do what i'm passionate about.




And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word? love
What is your least favorite word? ALL derogatory slangs
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? genuine love for what you do/those around you
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? when people preach instead of practice
What sound or noise do you love?
rain on the roof
What sound or noise do you hate? smacking food
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? "seriously?!?"

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? definitely interior design.
What profession would you not like to do? anything to do with bodily fluids *gag*

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? "Welcome :)"


thank YOU, shannon sewell!!!

18 comments:

  1. I LOVE Shannon! Her work is amazing, creative and so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just gorgeous. i love shannon's work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love! So cuteeeeeeeeeeee!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for having shannon on the blog!!! i'm love how she said that she doesn't take a client on if they don't mesh well together. i really need to start doing the same thing!!! love her style!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the props you use and the fantastic clothing styles for all your models!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh......Shannon is my FAV!!! Thanks so much TML!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon's work is amazing, I feel very inspired sitting here this morning~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. smacking food, ugh... drives me nuts. i agree! love the pictures- so special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow- another fantastic photog! thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this!! What amazing work! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ron McGinnis2/09/2011

    Very, very nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOve this whole article. Shannon is one amazing lady and I hope to one day meet her!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow!! Thats all I can say. She is amazing. I love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She has beautiful work! love all her shots.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shannon is awesome. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE Shannon Sewell!!!!!!!! GREAT interview!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so great to see shannon on here!!! she is truly fabulous and i can't get enough of her work! oh, and shannon...i shake my eyeballs freaky fast too. it's weird, but was such a great party trick when i was a kid :)

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: