our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

3.03.2011

low down, throw down with amber anderson...

i love visiting blogs that i have never been to before.
at some point, someone emailed me telling me that i must check out this site.
she told of all the beauty that amber anderson captured.

i was happy to check out the site and i was not disappointed.
amber's work is truly beautiful. the light she finds, her lovely processing....
it all works together to make gorgeous photos.

i hope you love her as much as i do!
i introduce you to amber anderson...



Name: Amber Anderson
Business name: Amber Anderson Photography
Location: Vancouver, WA
Website/blog: www.AmberAndersonPhotography.com

Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
My goal is to capture the emotion and romance of everyday life.



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
I am a laid back perfectionist. Did you know that even existed!? I love life and take it for what it is, but I also strive to be the best person I can be.


How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
This will sound so cliche, but I honestly began doing this seriously when my 1st baby was born nearly 5 years ago. I've been a hobbyist since my preteen years though. Once I had my own child and had the opportunity to learn how to photograph people, I realized where my passion truly lied!



What change are you looking most forward to in 2011...both professionally and personally?
I think the changes I'm implementing this year relate to both my personal and professional life. After years of running myself into complete exhaustion, I've started focusing on what was most important to me: my family. This means streamlining my business life so I have more time for my babies (who are growing FAR too quickly!)


When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?
My kids, of course!



If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:
Oh, that's difficult. I'm an odd mix of responsible and impulsive! I'd consider setting it aside in savings (for about 2 seconds...), but I'm pretty sure I'd run out and buy the new iPhone 4! I've been stuck with my 3G for FAR too long and it's time for us to part ways.


Where do you go to find inspiration?:
I find inspiration all over the place! I most definitely find inspiration in light. We get a lot of rain here in Washington (and I mean, a LOT...), so when I happen across a gorgeous pocket of light, it fills me with silly excitement and I try to utilize what I have while I have it! Music is another big one for me. I can hear a great song and ideas come flooding in! I LOVE browsing magazines--wedding magazines, Vogue, and even clothing ads spur on the creativity! I also love getting together with my photographer friends and co-styling sessions! I'm SO inspired by shooting alongside people I admire!




When processing your photos, what is the best trick/tip you've learned?
Lightroom 3, baby! I'm not sure why I waited so long to purchase that program. I can batch a session in no time now! I learned to get things as correct as possible in-camera and keep things simple and streamlined with processing. If you start fussing over every little thing, it's easy to over-process and spend far too much time at the computer. My time is very valuable to me and the less time I can spend editing, the happier I am!


What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?
Don't rush in to anything and don't feel like you have to do it all! You don't have to take on everything from pets to weddings and whatever else in between. Find what you're passionate about and make that your art!



What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?
Okay...they're boring.. Ready? KHAKI! (that's for both) I like a neutral palette. Then I can add my own style with funky details! The details in my bedroom are orange and turquoise and anything but boring!


What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
Nikon! My D700 was one of my best purchases of 2009! Oh wow, one lens. Hmmm...I really have to say my 24-70mm. It's the one on my body most of the time anyway and it's so versatile!



What session idea are you dying to do, but just don't know how to pull it off?
I would love, LOVE to completely style an outdoor country wedding, complete with beat up old truck, wildflowers and a beautiful hippie couple! I just haven't found a bride willing to give up complete control of her wedding details...not surprisingly ;)


Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?
I can cross one eye. It creeps my husband out.




What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
I was totally nervous! It didn't turn out the way I wanted *at all*, but I learned so much from that experience! I'll admit that it looked a little "inexpensive portrait studio-esque" and I was disappointed by that. However, I learned right away that I needed to be true to my own style and not just recreate what I was seeing elsewhere.


What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?
My playlists are all over the place! To give you an idea, the one I run to every day includes Wolf Parade, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, Queen, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Big&Rich and Miranda Lambert. It's a little...eclectic? Haha! It's hard for me to choose just one favorite song, but I think I'll go with Hey Jude.



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
Oh my word. What's NOT on my wish list!? I've been desperately waiting to get my hands on the new Pocket Wizards. I've also been drooling over the 14-24mm 2.8! I rent it once in awhile and my husband has to pry it out of my hands when it's time to return it. And while we're dreaming...an entirely new wardrobe from Anthropologie would be nice ;)


Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):
It is what it is. Basically, to let go, stop trying to control things that you can't possibly control and to enjoy life for what it is. This definitely crosses over to who I am as a photographer. There have been occasions where a wedding venue isn't something I would've selected, but my job is to find the beauty in what it IS and not sulk about what it's not. I love capturing the small things that make a wedding and my client sessions special and unique.. All those little things add up over the years and truly end up meaning the most.

If you could travel to anywhere in the world to photograph it, where would it be?
Hmmm...Thailand, I think! There is such beauty and opulence, then so much of the opposite as well. It's such a different culture than what I'm used to and I would love to go and photograph people living their lives.





When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?
Everything I've accomplished has been done by my own hard work. I'm really proud of that! There have been many times when I've wished there was an easy path, but then I would've missed out on so much LIFE! I've met some amazing people and have been able to do things I never would've experienced had there been an easy way out.


How do you get a connection between you and your client(s)?
I am completely myself and never try to act like someone I'm not. I think that honesty is appreciated by my clients! I'm also very rarely serious, even while being serious. Humor has a way of cracking even the toughest of subjects (dad and nervous grooms are usually my toughest customers!) A few good one-liners from the get-go and they're ready to laugh, even when my jokes get lame! Or, maybe they're laughing AT me, not with me? Either way, I guess it's working well enough!


What do you find that you still struggle with when it comes to photography?
Everything? Okay, I'm kind of kidding, but really, I'm always working on every aspect of what I do in order to improve. Right now though, I'm really working on learning new lighting techniques and being more creative with my work! I find that learning more about studio lighting helps me find more interesting lighting conditions while working outdoors.




Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I honestly have no idea! I haven't even planned dinner for tonight. Haha! I love having room to grow and adapt to what life throws at me. I have a loose outline of what I'd like for myself and my business, but no definite time line. I will still be a photographer and right now, I still see myself being very involved in weddings!


And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)

What is your favorite word? Happy
What is your least favorite word? Are we allowed to be honest here? Because one of my least favorite words is "panties." I don't know WHY it bothers me so much, but dang it, they're UNDERWEAR!
What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? A beautiful, sunny day, a warm smile, waking up to the smell of fresh coffee...basically anything that starts my day off well!
What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? Being near any type of negativity!
What sound or noise do you love? The little birds that chirp in the mornings during spring and summer
What sound or noise do you hate? Teeth dragging on a fork...BAH!! I just pictured it and have shivers.
What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Uh...can I type that kind of stuff here? Unfortunately, that would be "dammit." Not my "favorite" thing to say, but the most honest response to this question, for sure!
What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? It would have to be something creative, like floral design! I really wanted to be a wedding planner in my younger days, so maybe something along those lines!
What profession would you not like to do? Anything in the medical field! Ew. Thank goodness for those that enjoy that kind of work...
If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Well, well, well...wasn't sure we'd be seeing YOU here!

22 comments:

  1. Beautiful Work Amber! And a great interview too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big fan of Ambers work. THanks for featuring her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work!!! I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love amber and your gorgeous work!!!! great interview with a great girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL work and what a great interview. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amber - beautifully talented you are. and of course a nikon gal who loves queen. perfect!!! thank you for being a part of TML. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful work! I love your comment about being able to cross one eye....I can do that too :) Freaks people out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhH!! i hate the word panties too!!! :) Great interview...

    ReplyDelete
  9. What gorgeous work! And I really laughed when I saw Amber hates the "p word" too! Everyone laughs at me for that, so I am excited to see I am not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. fabulous photos, and a great interview! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Horray I LOVVVVE Amber she is an awesome person and a phenomonal photographer as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amber is such a fabulous photographer! She rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ShellyS3/03/2011

    Great interview, Amber! Love your work girl! Gorgeous images!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amber does fabulous work! What a great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amer you ROCK girly!!! Awesome interveiw and beautiful work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amber you are such an inspiration to me! I love the way you use light, and your processing is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brandi-lee3/03/2011

    FANTASTIC post, love Amber, her work is sublime!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Thank you for all the beautiful comments!! I feel so honored to be a part of TML today. Thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous3/03/2011

    Beautiful post Amber and your work is just amazing!!

    Lilie

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is awesome! Love her work! End of story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kim W.3/03/2011

    Gorgeous work, Amber!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now seriously, now. Can we be serious here? Cuz Amber Anderson is just one of my favorite photogs out there. I just adore her work and her use of light and her compositions. And, also, she is just all sorts of awesome and sweet and I just love her fun loving personality. Is this some sort of public declaration of affection? Well, yes. I suppose it is.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: