our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

3.24.2011

this lunch rox!!

jamie schultz is not only an amazing photographer,
but she totally rocks it out when it comes to lunches for her children.
i have posted a link to her site on our facebook page before,
but i thought it would be fun to have her answer a few questions.

if you haven't seen the site before, you can check it out here- http://thislunchrox.com/
it's packed full of great health information, a bit more about jamie and who she is, as well as many more ideas for lunches (including her favorite tools and tips) and awesome pictures of them all.

thank you jamie for taking the time to share with us!!! xoxo

Why did you start making creative lunches for your kids?
This entire process really started when I got fed up with feeling tired, flustered, and squeezing into jeans because I refused to go up a size. As I started making changes to my own diet I started to notice that I was much more focused and had a lot more energy than before. This peeked my interest in the topic of food and how it effects more than just our weight. The more reading I did on the topic the more disturbed I became with the health statistics projected for children living in the United States. One of the most shocking pieces of information I read is that 1 in 3 children born after the year 2000 will be diagnosed with type II diabetes before they turn 50 years old. This is almost solely related to eating habits among children. The American Heart Association recommends children get no more than 20 grams of added sugar today. Prior to making changes in our eating habits my children were averaging 70 grams/day...and I truly believed they were eating a "healthy" diet! This motivated me to transition my family to REAL food filled with lots of nutrients rather than the empty calories we were eating before.

In terms of the creative lunches I feature on my blog...I started creating those because I found myself constantly competing with school lunches that often consist of pizza, chicken nuggets, ice cream sandwiches and chocolate milk. This project really started as a way to motivate my kids to eat better. Now it's really turned into something I truly enjoy doing as a hobby.


How do the lunches stay together once they are in the backpacks?
Great question! This has been a serious process of trial and error. First of all, I love to use containers such as Lock and Lock that have lids that sit very close to the top of the lunch. Also know that broken toothpicks are my new best friend. After I take photos of the lunches I often poke my creations with broken toothpicks to hold them together. I've been pleasantly surprised by how well the lunches have held together. Of course we've had a few disasters, but they've been few and far between.


Do your kids eat everything in the lunch boxes?
When we started the transition to healthier eating the answer is categorically no! I tried to add new foods to the lunch boxes slowly as to not overwhelm the kids with too may "exotic" foods at one time. Over the past year, my kids have developed a preference for fruits and vegetables over a lot of our "staple" foods from our past. So now I can safely say that, yes, for the most part my kids eat almost everything included in their lunch box. Sometimes I pack a little too much food, but I'd rather err on the side of having too much than not enough...especially for my 2nd grader who seems to be growing like a weed!

Do you make creative lunches everyday of the week?
Absolutely not! There are many days when the kids get a "normal" cold lunch and I'm trying to post more of those lunches on the blog for people who are interested in quick and easy options.


Where do you get your ideas and recipes?
When I first got started I spent a lot of time looking on-line for fun lunch ideas. Now, part of the fun for me is trying to build and create things on my own based on things my kids are interested in at the time. For example, after the Green Bay Packers won the Superbowl I started sketching out ideas for a Superbowl themed lunch. The next morning I woke up early and tried to pull it all together. This was the result:


A lot of my recipes come from my nutritionist, Maria Emmerich (http://mariahealth.blogspot.com/), who really helped me understand how food effects our bodies. I'm always on the hunt for recipes with a low glycemic index so our insulin levels stay stable and don't spike every time we eat. I like to do a lot of baking and my kids love so many of the treats she has on her blog and in her cookbooks. Some of their favorites are the healthy twist on old favorites like "Twinkies", "Fauxstess Cupcakes", etc...


thank you so much jamie!! i know i am totally inspired to do this for my kiddos!
be sure to leave jamie some love and if you have any questions, post them in the comments.
if she has a chance, she may be able to answer them.
have a great day!!

7 comments:

  1. Those are awesome lunches!! I just ordered a planet box and I'm really excited to start packing lunches like Jamie showed :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding me? I want to be Jamie when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came across her blog one day and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Those lunches do look amazing, def going to check out her site.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too came across Jamie's blog one day, probably from your FB share. I immediately loved it and need to start this for my son, who I think will naturally love it as he loves fruit and healthy foods. Jamie is amazing! Thank you for sharing, and thank you Jamie for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jamie i love your photography and i adore your lunch box creations!!! you've inspired me. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out Goodbyn's. Possibly a way to keep the lunches from falling apart.

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: