our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

4.21.2011

low down, throw down with amy boring

a boring photo
seriously, what's not to love about that?!

amy is one of those people that capture your heart. she is real and her photography is real. she is honest and her photography is honest. she is passionate about life and her photography is passionate about life.

she captures what is truly there. the essence of the subject---whether it's a family, a baby or a dog....she just nails who they are. i love that. something you don't see enough. not only does she capture who they are, she captures it in such a beautiful way.

i adore amy's work and i adore amy.

it's my pleasure to introduce you to amy boring...


Name: amy boring
Business name: a boring photo
Location: Southern California – North County San Diego - Fallbrook
Website/blog: www.aboringphoto.com www.aboringphoto.com/blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:
Clean. Simple. Authentic. Come as you are.



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:
To love me is to actually know me. I am loyal and honest to a fault at times.




How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:
I took 2 years of film photography in high school and got a degree in photography/graphic design never thinking it would turn into a career. I was on track to become a secondary education high school art teacher. Then I had this overwhelming gut feeling not to go that direction. So I didn’t.

In 2006 I got my first DSLR, a Nikon D70, and shot anything and everything I could just for the fun of it. Then it just sort of clicked and it all fell into place. I owe a lot of thanks to my friend Carrie whom I have known since I was about 13 years old. She was an artistic inspiration before either of us even owned a real camera.

I was also very involved in the Flickr community from the very beginning and met a ton of talented people that I am happy to call friends from all over the world. I am not there much now in a photographic sense but still take part in a private forum of wonderfully diverse, talented artistic business women.

Like many of you I had a full time day job in marketing with dreams of working for myself. I was laid off in July of 2008. That was when I was pushed off the proverbial cliff feet first into going full time. Here I am. Just trying to be myself, pay my bills and save up for a house.


If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? It would be called Seriously? Who would play me? Rachel McAdams, Sarah Silverman or Natalie Portman. Pffft.





What change are you looking most forward to this year...both professionally and personally?
I just got back from DC and have Seattle and Austin on the books for this year and will continue to second shoot weddings with Boutwell Studio.

Personally: I just want to be an all around healthier person than I was the day before.



When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?
I shoot anything and everything that catches my eye.



If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:
Save it.



Where do you go to find inspiration?:
I day dream a lot.... but Pinterst, Etsy, nature, music and a handful of great friends are always a good source.


What is your best post processing tip?
Less is more. Always.



What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?
Be a legit tax paying business owner if you are going to take people’s money. Don’t work for free or give away the farm for the cost of the session fee. Learn to say no. Don’t undercut the local competition. Read your manual. Don’t cross the line of inspiration vs. imitation. If you email a photographer and ask them business related questions and they take the time to reply.....thank them...even if it’s not the answer you were looking for. Do not rely solely on actions. Just because someone is offering a workshop does not make them qualified to teach one. Creativity comes from within, not the blog next door. Take a class or join a forum that requires you to put your work up for discussion. Just because your mom likes it doesn’t make it good. Shoot, shoot and then shoot some more.


What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?
Nothing exciting. They are a lovely cream/off white because I am totally inept at interior design. I have a hard time picking color palettes because I like them all.




What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:
let me just say that it has taken me years to acquire all of this. I never thought I would see the day that I pulled out a 70-200 2.8….
Nikon D700 - Nikon D300 -
50mm 1.4 G - 85mm 1.4G
24-70 2.8G - 70 -200 2.8 VRII - 60mm 2.8 macro - 10.5mm Fisheye -
SB900 Speedlight - CS4 - Mac Pro - 23″ Cinema Display -17″ Macbook Pro

One lens? The 50 1.4 for sheer size and versatility. The 70-200 2.8 VRII is hot on it’s heels.



What session idea are you dying to do, but just don't know how to pull it off?
I have a few things up my sleeve I am working on.



Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?
This sounds so dumb out loud. I am pretty darn telepathic or psychic…what ever you want to call it. I have guessed stranger’s names on airplanes and all kinds of random stuff. People chase my bets I when I sit down to a roulette table and I know a shifty cat when I see one. Oh, and just the other day I guessed what the vendor meal at the last wedding we shot down to the green beans. Now, that is talent.



What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?
My first paid session was my first session. I never shot for free even when i was portfolio building. It was an old soccer pal of mine and her 9 month old son. I waived the session fee and gave her 20% off print prices. When a $1000+ order (after the discount) came in I knew that I was worth getting paid for this. That was April of 2007.

I’m sure I was a little nervous. I still get nervous.




What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?
I am a Dave Matthews fan down to the bone but not in a creepy, run after a tour bus kind of way. I also like Phish, The Shins, The Beatles, Regina Spektor... I fall all over the spectrum musically but tend to be a bohemian at heart.



Favorite song of ALL time?
That’s tough. The Only Living Boy in New York - Simon and Garfunkel.





What is at the top of your wish list right now?:
I would really love to road trip across the country, photograph a Dave show, do some work for Nikon, work on a movie set and have my dog grace the cover of a magazine.



Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):
“Less talk more action.” And “there are no problems only solutions.”



If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?
I would really like to go fishing with my dad someplace pretty.
Are you listening pa boring?




When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?
My parent’s were a bit skeptical from the start with the whole art degree route. Supportive but skeptical. So the fact that I am actually living a creative life running my own business feels pretty fancy.



How do you get a connection between you and your client?
No secrets really. I am pretty goofy and down to earth. People that come to me tend to trust me out of the gate based on what they have seen in my portfolio. I have awesome clients that are willing let their guards down almost immediately and come along for the ride. I will say....that after many years waiting tables in the fine dining industry I learned how to read a table of people within a few seconds as to what kind of experience they were going for. That experience translates well here.




Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I will be 45 in 10 years. Hopefully still alive. I would like to have a kid by then, a piece of land, growing my own food and a bunch of dogs. Home on the range style but with internet and cell phone service.



And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)




What is your favorite word? Currently...bonkers. Thanks to my pal Mrs. Harrison.

What is your least favorite word? sneak peek. I know it's two words. rule breaker. It's so over used and beat to death. brain bleed. The funny thing is I have totally used it in the past. It just feels and sounds like 2008 to me. It's like the selective coloring of text. I get it though. Maybe it's a right of passage. It means you have clients! If you mispell it? Well, that's social suicide.

What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? music, cooking, dancing, nature, a bustling city and my friends.

What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? inauthenticity, under cutters, back stabbers, swindlers and one uppers.

What sound or noise do you love? Thunder, wind in the trees and when the dog yawns and makes growly noises.

What sound or noise do you hate? yelling. hate it.

What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? You know I am really mad when I say nothing.

What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? I can’t image not being a photographer but I would love to rescue dogs or be a food blogger.

What profession would you not like to do? I would never want to be a dentist.

If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome home...or.....You’re so lucky your friend Christina put you on her preferred sinners guest list. Come on in.


THANK YOU AMY!!!

15 comments:

  1. She is rapidly become a favorite of mine as well....just facebook fanned her a few weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love amy and her work. thanks for posting such an worthy interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Amy and her work too <3 Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4/21/2011

    I am new to Amy and I love her honesty. And her business name is so great. LOL! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa4/21/2011

    What a great interview! I think she is going to start a "no sneak peek" revolution. LOL.
    Loved this low down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love me some amy <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hands down, one of my favorite people. She is honest and means what she says and that bleeds into her work beautifully. I've never seen an artist that can shoot any aspect of life and make it "hers" and "theirs" all at the same time. Talented amigo, I love you much so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the article, and Amy forgot to mention what an amazing friend she is :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo I have a new person to check out! I loved this! Amy, your work is so unprocessed. It's very clean and very well done. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Go Amy! <3 your work, but you already know that :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi! thanks for all of your nice words you made this girls day. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. mwah! Love note to you miz B. you are beyond magnificent in so many ways.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the post......and Amy too! Amy's interview here is authentic as she is and as her work is. Thank you so much for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just wanted to invite you to follow my blog, tons of beautiful photography props there. I love to feature photographers work as well <3 http://artisticinclinationsboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: