our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

5.10.2011

[it's personal] - the motherhood journey


I love lilacs and avocados

Ukuleles and fireworks
And Mia Farrow and walking in the snow
But you've got to know that


That you're the love of my life

You are the love of my life
You are the love of my life
You are the love of my life
From the moment I first saw you
The second that you were born
I knew that you were the love of my life
Quite simply the love of my life


I love Lucy and pumpernickel bread

The statue of liberty and chocolate ice cream
And falling into bed
But get it through your head that


That you're the love of my life

You are the love of my life
You are the love of my life
You are the love of my life
From the moment I first saw you
The second that you were born
I knew that you were the love of my life
Quite simply the love of my life


You are the love

The great love
Of my
Of my life

{c. simon}

I don't remember what my life was like before I became a mother. I mean, sure, I remember what I was doing back then but I honestly don't remember the feeling anymore. As a 40 something single career gal I had come to terms that I would not be a parent.  I would  not be a wife, I would continue working hard and building a future for myself. Alone. 
Of course that would all change in 2005 and in December of that year - this little creature we shall call Annie Viola, arrived into my arms less than 2 hours of checking into the hospital. Oh what a gal. My eyes stung with my tears of joy - and staring at  her face she wasn't a stranger but someone I had always known. In my dreams. In my heart. In my forever.
Ah motherhood. It's hard isn't it?!! I find a new challenge every single day, but I also find many victories both large and small. And when my little one opened up my bedroom door this past Mother's day morning with a big smile on her face bearing her gifts of gratitude to the awesomeness of her mother (because let's be honest - we are all rock stars in their eyes if only for a short while!) I couldn't help but remember that moment of looking into her face for the first time and seeing my forever. The rest of my world tucked away into the faded memory box. And I knew it would be okay.
I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's day filled with the beauty of a homemade card, the delight of a slightly overcooked breakfast, the happiness of a present you always wanted and the heartwarming feeling of those tiny arms wrapped around you in an expression of pure love. We are all so very fortunate - us women, to experience this. No book could ever prepare your heart for this journey.  We attend to, baby sit, care, consider, foster, keep an eye on, keep tabs on, look after, mind, minister, mother, nurse, nurture, pay attention to, protect, provide for, ride herd on, take pains, tend, treasure, wait on, watch over...... just another day of being fabulous mom! xo 
{p.s - let us know about your journey, your forever, your world!}

{these images brought to you by the talents of.............}

5 comments:

  1. beautiful..beautiful post! Motherhood is a wonderful thing..and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
    Thank you for featuring my photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Thanks so much for that post. Last night I was reflecting on how much I take for granted, and how precious life is. To think- we are so blessed just to have our babies here- to be able to watch them sleep, receive beautifully etched works of art from them, look after them, share our passions with them. Blessed. Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful words... I so needed them this morning...
    It is so easy to get lost in all the laundry and daily errands.... I cherish our crazy life and our daughter.
    Motherhood is the hardest most rewarding job one can ever love.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! Glad to be apart of capturing a Mothers love :)

    I am so very grateful for this site. I love seeing other photographers that I havent seen yet!! Everyone has such BEAUTIFUL work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lovely. I came to motherhood rather young--my first child was born when I was 22. Now I am 38 and expecting my tenth. One of the things I try to do is keep the kind of perspective you wrote--to remember what a stunning blessing a child is. It is not always easy but I am grateful for all the reminders I get (like your post). Sometimes I find myself taking motherhood for granted, but at the same time, having seen a number of children grow to teenager-hood (which stage I am [surprisingly?] enjoying) I also realize how fleeting young childhood is. Anyway, thanks so much for this!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: