our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

5.05.2011

low down, throw down with laura brett

i've swooned over her images for so long!
her newborn photography is some of the best around.
crisp, clear, colorful and simply priceless.

laura brett is a master at what she does and i am so thrilled to have be
a part of the maternal lens.

i know you will love her (if you don't already) as much as we do!!!

i'm happy to introduce you to laura brett....



Name: Laura Brett

Business name: Laura Brett Photography

Location: Atlanta, GA

Website/blog: www.laurabrettphotography.com

www.laurabrettphotography.com/blog



Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

Heart-warming simplicity



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:

I put myself through college. Went to school during the day and worked full-time in the evenings for 4 years.



How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:

I’ve been doing photography since high school, full-time professionally since 08’. It all started with some commercial work in 07’ and grew from there.

If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you? “Nonstop” - Jennifer Anniston just because I love her and her humor.



What is your number one, hands down trick to newborn photography?

Patience....its all about patience



What change are you looking most forward to this year...both professionally and personally?

Change, well I’m hoping to not have anymore change in the near future. We’ve been in Atlanta now for 14 months and I would like to see the business continue to grow. Personally, I’m excited to travel this summer with with family!



When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?

They are of my kids...when they will let me. :)



What is your best post processing tip?

Keep it simple - I rarely use an action. Just clean, simple and sharp!

What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?

Do all of your homework before you dive in. 90% is business, 10% is actually photography. I think most are surprised to find that out.



What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?

Our bedroom is a tan color, no real reason we wanted it to fit the color scheme of our entire house. Bathroom is a darker tan...boring much?



If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:

Oh goodness, probably some really boring and practical.


Where do you go to find inspiration?:

Everywhere, seriously!



What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:

I use Nikon and if I only had one lens to use it would be my 135mm. Love that lens!



What session idea are you dying to do, but just don't know how to pull it off?

I’m still thinking on that one, but I do have something up my sleeve.



Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?

No hidden talent but I use to be a competitive gymnast.



What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?

My first paid session was actually a newborn session, well I take that back now she was actually 6 weeks old. I was nervous, but it turned out well.



What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?

I love all kinds of music. Right now I’m loving Florence and the Machine but I’m a huge Pink fan.



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:

RIght now I'm in need of a new camera bag. At my most recent mentoring sessions, a few of the photographers had the Hobo bag and I was green with envy.



Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):

Be you!



If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?

I would take the family to the beach and have a day completely out in the sun.



When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?

That I’m actually followed my dream with my highschool sweetheart and children by my side.



How do you get a connection between you and your client?

With my moms I get very personal asking about their birth, taking care of the baby and so on. I think it helps build our bond.



Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Well I’m turning 30 this year...gulp so in 10 years I imagine myself to be doing what I love.. Photographing newborns and watching my children grow.




What is your favorite word?

Chocolate


What is your least favorite word?

Laundry


What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

listening to music


What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally?

Facebook...just kidding. :)


What sound or noise do you love?

I love birds chirping


What sound or noise do you hate?

Thunderstorms


What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? Smile...you can’t say it without wanting to do it.


What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?

I would love to be a mid-wife or a labor and delivery nurse.



What profession would you not like to do?

Flight attendent



If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

You did good!

6 comments:

  1. Laura is amazingly talented and a great inspiration! So glad you featured her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathalia5/05/2011

    You are pretty awesome! Great responses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Laura! Loved reading:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading this Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to read about Laura, she's very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura's awesome!!! Can't wait to see her again...can't believe I have to wait until November to do so!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: