our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

5.17.2011

low down, throw down with tamara burrossName: Tamara Burross

last week blogger shut down for maintenance purposes and a handful of our posts were deleted and still haven't returned. tamara's low down was one of them and i wanted to be sure to get it back up!! so, here it is again and if you didn't see it the first time....you are in for a treat!!!


once again, the wonderful tamara burross




Name: Tamara Burross


Business name: From the Treetop Photography/Muse Imagerie (senior girls division)


Location: Fort Worth, TX


Website/blog: www.fromthetreetop.com




Tell us one sentence to describe your photography:

Vintage inspired fine art portraiture for children, families and teens.



What's one thing that everyone should know about you?:

The best and worst thing about me is my sensitivity. Best because I care so deeply and it serves me very well in my work; worst because I tend to be hurt easily and withdraw. Photography has been good for me because it forces me out of my shell.







How long have you been doing photography and how did you get started:

From the Treetop Photography began in 2006. Prior to that I designed vintage inspired children’s clothing under the label “From the Treetop”. I handled all the marketing including photography and styling. It wasn’t long before the label became as well known for the photos as for the clothing. It was a natural progression for me.




If they made a movie about your life, what would it be titled and who would play you?

It would be something like “The Hours” with simultaneous plots set in different eras (the wardrobe!) I have no idea on the name but I would love to be played by Nicole Kidman or Kate Winslet.






What change are you looking most forward to this year...both professionally and personally?

I stay very open-minded when it comes to my professional plans. I have a few offers to take things in a new direction and am seriously considering them but nothing I am ready to reveal just yet. Personally, I am looking forward to Grace starting en pointe in ballet, our summer family vacation and celebrating my 15th wedding anniversary.



When you take pictures just for you, what are they of?

It goes without saying that I enjoy photographing my family but I am very fond of themed shoots as well. My daughter Grace loves to participate and help me achieve my vision. At nine years old she is quite the artist herself and has a way of instinctively knowing what I am looking for in a shot. I am drawn toward ethereal, nostalgic imagery and when I find inspiration Grace is usually at the center of it.






If you were given $500 today, what would be the first thing you would do?:

I would probably put it in savings for a lens.



Where do you go to find inspiration?:

I adore paintings -Vermeer is a favorite for his use of light-vintage photographs, movies, books, fashion and of course the addictive Pinterest!



What is your best post processing tip?

As a textures advocate I am the first to admit they aren’t for everyone or for every photo, but when used properly they can transform an image. You should never see a photograph and notice the texture overlay first. The subject must take center stage. Less is more in most cases but when it comes to post processing don’t be afraid to try something dramatic every now and then.





What would you tell someone who is just starting up a photography business?

Know your style and what sets you apart. Take the time to learn your craft and charge accordingly. Conduct your business like a business-that means taxes, contracts etc. Don’t be afraid to say no to a commission that isn’t for you otherwise you will be doing a disservice to yourself and the client. Lastly, be bold-we all start somewhere. A quote I like says –“Use what talents you possess: The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best “– Henry van Dyke




What color paint is your bedroom? Why? What about your bathroom?

Neutral creams. Why? It feels peaceful, romantic and compliments my all white bedding.





What equipment do you use and if you had only one lens to use...what would it be?:

I have used both Canon and Nikon and love them both for different reasons. I am currently shooting-

Nikon d700

50mm 1.4

85mm1.8

If I could only take one lens it would definitely be my 50mm 1.4. I am a prime lens girl.






What session idea are you dying to do, but just don't know how to pull it off?

I have been dreaming of an underwater session for a while. I have the visual in my mind but not the necessary gear to carry it out…yet.



Do you have a hidden talent? Or a stupid human trick?

Lol! That’s a tough one. Let’s see. I can cross only one eye. Actually, I am legally blind in one eye since birth, so perhaps the fact that I am so visually creative is an oddity in and of itself. The doctors told my mother that although there is nothing wrong with the eye it never made the right connection forcing my brain to “rewire” my vision.






What was your first paid session like? Were you nervous? Did it turn out how you wanted?

Of course I was nervous and for good reason! I had one very difficult sibling in the group that first session. I learned quickly how vital people skills are to a photographer. It turned out well but made my second and subsequent sessions feel like a breeze!



What music do you love? Do you have a favorite song of all time?

I have extremely eclectic taste but I would say that the common denominator in my music of choice is that it’s all lyrically driven. My taste ranges from the rat pack to Mayer and Muse. If I had to pick an all time favorite it would be “At Last” by Etta James.



What is at the top of your wish list right now?:

The Lensbaby composer and the 105mm 2.8 macro






Tell us the best advice that you have ever received (photography related or life in general):

Stay in competition with yourself only. Do unto others, as you would have others do unto you. These apply to both life and business.



If you had an entire Saturday to do whatever you wanted...what would you do?

I would spend it perusing antique shops and art galleries-preferably in New Orleans.



When you look back at your life, what are you most proud of?

I am most proud of my journey as a mother of a child with autism and the gift of learning true unconditional love. I am also proud of my work with the Tiny Sparrow Foundation.







How do you get a connection between you and your client?

When I walk into a session I think about what I can give rather that what I can get. I think it’s important to have a genuine fondness for your subject. If you don’t like kids and have no patience it won’t go well even if you try to fake it. Kids just know.



Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I have learned that life is what happens while we make plans. I have stopped imposing certain pressures on myself about where I will or should be at any given time. One thing I know is that no matter where I find myself in ten years, no matter how wonderful or hard my circumstances may be; I will seek to create beauty in some form. I see myself as ten years wiser.





And lastly.....when we started the maternal lens, all of us filled out this questionnaire and shared our answers....now it's your turn :)


What is your favorite word? Gossamer


What is your least favorite word? Not a word, a phrase “that rocks” I’m not sure why, I just hate that phrase.


What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? creatively-light, color and nostalgia / spiritually and emotionally-authenticity


What turns you off creatively, spiritually or emotionally? creatively-canned overdone themes/props & bad light / spiritually and emotionally- pretension and dishonesty


What sound or noise do you love? the ocean


What sound or noise do you hate? the alarm clock


What is your favorite thing to say when you get mad? I can’t say in mixed company ;)


What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Writer


What profession would you not like to do? Divorce lawyer


If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

"Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a few things; I will set you over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord."

Matthew 25:23

5 comments:

  1. Wow, really great work! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photo! Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! From the Treetop will be going on my "blog stalker" list. AMAZINGLY beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: