our email: thematernallens@gmail.com
follow us on twitter!

5.24.2011

[tuesday talks] - surfing for inspiration.

So the end of the world didn’t happen on May 21, 2011. Thank goodness! Because I have a list a mile long of things I want to accomplish on my short time on earth, and I do appreciate having more time to at least try to check some things off! After getting my little one off to school, I tend to start my days off sipping tea, catching up on email and grabbing my imaginary surfboard and heading off to catch a wave on the web. It’s amazing to think that just a short time ago the web didn’t exist and with it a plethora of inspiration and information. It really is the super information highway and I will admit I’m a little lost without that wi-fi connection. My list of favorites is rather long. I thought I’d share a few of the amazing stops along my way that always inspire me through and through. Whether in my photography or in my motherhood, kitchenhood, sisterhood, wifehood, dietinghood, fashionhood or friendhood. I always walk away with something. {even if the laundry pile grew!} Perhaps they will do the same for you. Let us know what stops along your web travels get your motors running!

Jamie Beck is an amazing photographer in NYC – her blog from me to you is a daily stop for me. She is clever and unique and offers a wonderful perspective on all things fashion, lifestyle and well life in NYC and beyond. She shoots digitally and with film and that is why I am so in awe of her. She does it all and very well.

I am not very good in the kitchen while simultaneously wanting the perfectly designed white kitchen and on top of that I love love love to look at pretty food. So what to do. Sunday Suppers is the perfect combination of all things food, all things cool in the kitchen, all things inspiring in food photography by the amazing Karen Mardechai and the writings of Lizzy Sall. The Sunday Supper team offer twice monthly cooking classes in a waterfront loft in Williamsburg, Brooklyn – yet another reason why I want to move to New York!

Irina is so dedicated to her wardrobe and all things vintage. I adore her sense of style and her uber girly ways. She is very clever and always looks smashing. I enjoy seeing her outfits du jour and am often reminded of the days when I was far hipper. Note to self: get back to that – stat!

I have a passion for all things Interior Design, after all my sweet little college diploma says so. But who says an Interior Design Blog has to be serious. All I’s dotted and T’s crossed. I can’t tell you how much I adore Jenny Anderson from MFAMB – hers is always my first stop because I rather like spitting my tea out while laughing at her cleverness, her rawness, her right on the money viewpoints on life, reality t.v, motherhood, wifehood and most importantly interior design. Jenny is so talented and one of these days she’s going to turn my hodge podge lodge into something I won’t cringe at.

I love this sweet little blog. Always some refreshing finds  for fashion, home or life. Amy Moss has introduced me to so many sweet items!

Enhance the Everyday

I don’t remember how I stumbled on Pia Jane Bijkerk’s  blog, but once I did, I never wanted to leave. When I first discovered Pia she was living on a houseboat in Amsterdam. Living a charmed life to me, I was in awe. Pia is a beautiful photographer and a world renowned stylist. Sometimes she includes her piano pieces on her blog – you just click and are immediately taken away. She had recorded the rain coming down on her little houseboat, and I must pressed play a thousand times. Just perfect. She has recently relocated back to Sydney and her  third published book – My Heart Wanders - is a compilation of  her travels.

One of my absolute favorite bloggers is Susannah Conway. Oh how I love this gal. This is another case of I don’t remember how I found her but she has been such an integral part of my heart that I can’t imagine knowing her. Her original blog, titled Ink on my Fingers, brought me to tears so many times. I just wanted to reach out into my computer screen and tell her it would be alright. Susannah brought up so many emotions in me that sometimes reading her blog I always feel better, lighter, happier. She is an amazing writer and an even more amazing photographer. Her polaroids are brilliant and clever and beautiful, just like her. I had the pleasure of taking one of her online courses, Unravelling, Ways of Seeing Myself.  It was an amazing experience and I encourage anyone to register. I met wonderful women in a private online community who, like Susannah, were open and honest and so real. I am already planning on taking the next level as soon as I can because it sparks me in so many ways. She is currently working on a "Blogging from the Heart" guidebook and her first book will be published in 2012. Can't wait -  Susannah is everything and more.

Claudia keeps my love for all things French front and center. Her blog, the Paris Apartment is another fave. Claudia always shares her unique finds from her trips. Her great sense of style as an Interior Designer always shines through. She recently left NYC for sunny South Florida. She hosts shopping trips to Paris. One of these days I would love to see Paris through Claudia's eyes. Her book The Paris Apartment shows us how to get that romantic french feel through unique flea market finds. Check out her website for more goodies!

to be continued........... xo

cloudy day

3 comments:

  1. What an awesome post! Thank you for featuring me in it! It's good to know that all this blogging of mine is not worthless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for including me! I love your blog and will add it to my blogroll :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the pool photo !!

    ReplyDelete

want our button on your blog? copy and paste the code below: